Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The General Cricket Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The General Cricket Thread
Closed Thread

Old 14-09-2005, 08:08   #406
bayonet
cf.addict

Services: 152Mb 2AC Superhub XL TV with TIVO
bayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nice
Re: Cricket

I think that's why people love any sport the arguments, sorry debates, about the greatest,worst match, player, team etc.

Point is the game itself has changed, and that's not a cop out.

Despite the success of the Ashes SS3 showed a game at Edgbaston yesterday and it was 3 men and a dog watching. The test game is nearly becoming a replica of the one day game it happens so fast and if that means entertaining then good but will it bring the crowds back?

Regarding best or greatest everyone will say it is the best they have seen. But take the words of that great cricket sage St Richie of Benaud, who's seen a few in his time, and he says it's the best.

Who am I to argue?
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2005, 09:42   #407
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham

I see what you're saying and, yes, I can agree with it up to a point, the question is, now, though, whether England are actually a "super side" or they've just come along at the right time when the Aussies are on the decline.

Possibly, but there again, how much of that depended on a few devastating pace bowlers plus some good batsmen
England are still a long way from a 'super side' . The more I think about the more I am coming to think that neither is the current Aussie side. This test series is without doubt the first time ever that they have been faced with a high quality , four pronged, pace attack. I cannot believe that seven front line batsmen can all lose form at the exact same moment, They came into the series with the top six boasting a test average of around 50, but finished the series with the top seven averaging just over 30, so perhaps they were never as invincible as we all thought.

And as for the Windies it was hardly a few, as good as the current England attack is, perm any four from Roberts, Holding, Marshall, Garner, Walsh, Ambrose, Patterson, Clarke etc, etc, and you have an attack that makes the England bowlers look like pussy cats in comparison. I also think that Haynes, Greenidge, Lloyd, Kallicharan [sp] Richards, Hooper, would be a far better batting line up as well.
Old 14-09-2005, 11:31   #408
Gogogo

Still recovering. The 5th Test was marvellous, enjoyed every minute, every sound of bat on willow, superb. Though I'm pleased the England team won, I would have accepted defeat as several Aussie played magnificently, Shane Warne is a terrific player, he handles those cricket balls as if they were part of his arm, a magnificent bowler to watch, sheer poetry in motion and he seemed to be an unofficial Australian captain!

Whilst it's true Pieterson dropped catches he made up for errors, he is a good sportsman as indeed are the rest of the team. Probably Ian Bell the most disappointing player but then it's a game and these things happen. Vaughan an excellent captain, showed leadership, good field positions most of the time. Strauss again he showed he was a capable player, Flintoff brilliant, Harmison, Hoggard also marvellous players. Ashley Giles superb peformance, his 59 runs brilliant, Geraint Jones well he always does his best. Collingwood couldn't really replace Simon Jones but then who could? Credit also belongs to Duncan Fletcher, now a UK citizen and a most welcome citizen. No doubt all the other backroom boys and girls who also in their own way backed up the team.

It was marvellous cricket absolutely marvellous. I will miss Richie Benaud's commentories, he now joins the audio library with John Arlott, ah those were the days!

However, Channel 4 has demonstrated to me that it is not a worthy broadcaster of cricket it cared little for cricket viewers on the days when racing was on - by leaving its viewers lost many terrestrial viewers could not tune in to Film 4. At least cricket will be in Sky Sports safe hands in the future.

Old 14-09-2005, 12:13   #409
bayonet
cf.addict

bayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nice

Yes Fletcher is a good coach he made Glamorgan into a good side winning the Championship and we'd be glad to have him back at the moment.

Until Monday I've been impressed with Brett Lee, his bowling on Monday wasn't quite there for some reason.

Rod Marsh's view on TMS was why give him (Lee) a field where he can bowl badly. With the right field to attack his argument was if he can't bowl where he's asked to then get off

Straight as always our Rod.

At Trent Bridge he looked as if he could run right through the lot.

He was sheer controlled aggression that day and but for dropped catches again it could have been a different story.

I don't hear the name Thorpe being mentioned anywhere in the press yesterday or today.
Old 14-09-2005, 12:50   #410
yesman

The mud slinging has started down under.......

Quote:
Australia's senior players have spoken out in support of Ricky Ponting after Test legend Dennis Lillee called for him to be replaced as captain.
Lillee believes making Shane Warne skipper would "dramatically improve" their chances of regaining the Ashes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/4244302.stm

Old 14-09-2005, 13:01   #411
bayonet
cf.addict

Is that the same as The Football Chairman's dreaded "Vote of Confidence in my manager"?

It did seem at times Warne was running the show and there were mutterings that he was annoyed about Ponting's decision to field first in the 2nd test. Didn't seem to affect his bowling though

Ponting's decision wasn't the best when your top pace bowler had just injured his ankle.

It's like taking your top outside half on a Lions tour when he's injured....oops sorry
Old 14-09-2005, 13:03   #412
Gogogo

Ponting doesn't seem much of a sportsman he is the proverbial Australian whinger. Shane Warne is magnificent , he should have been captain, now I think he's probably too old and thought this was his last test match.

Old 14-09-2005, 13:13   #413
yesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayonet
Is that the same as The Football Chairman's dreaded "Vote of Confidence in my manager"?

It did seem at times Warne was running the show and there were mutterings that he was annoyed about Ponting's decision to field first in the 2nd test. Didn't seem to affect his bowling though

Not a good idea when your top pace bowler has just injured his ankle
I used to think Ponting was ok, but looking at things from the Aussie point of view, I guess he isn't quite up to the job, things like.....
Setting a defensive field for a new batsman.
Whinging about the use of England's 12th man
Not telling Gilchrist to keep quiet in between balls
Plus a few other things which do not spring to mind at the moment

Old 14-09-2005, 13:17   #414
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogo
Ponting doesn't seem much of a sportsman he is the proverbial Australian whinger. Shane Warne is magnificent , he should have been captain, now I think he's probably too old and thought this was his last test match.
But why should he stop now? He was by far the best Australian player, took the most wickets overall and was batting very well for a tail ender. He didnt seem to be tireing on Monday when he was constantly bowling throughout the day.

I think he should carry on and make that record of most test wickets that he holds a little harder to get for the next great bowler.
Old 14-09-2005, 13:26   #415
Gogogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK
But why should he stop now? He was by far the best Australian player, took the most wickets overall and was batting very well for a tail ender. He didnt seem to be tireing on Monday when he was constantly bowling throughout the day.

I think he should carry on and make that record of most test wickets that he holds a little harder to get for the next great bowler.
Sadly he's 36 years of age now, he has said apparently that he has played his last test match. I agree , without him Australia would have been thrashed, even Mcgrath now over 35 was not quite on form after his accident.

Old 14-09-2005, 14:36   #416
homealone

for a laugh, try the quiz

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funn...me/4245040.stm

- I got 8/10

Old 14-09-2005, 16:44   #417
bayonet
cf.addict

Got 7/10 right in the quiz got the bowling average wrong..........damn, Ponting who would have thought eh

I would think if he stays fit Warne might play in 14 months in Australia against England

McGrath's a doubt with the injuries he's had so they are looking for 2 bowlers possibly 3 or 4.

The spinner McGill also a leggie don't know how old he is though, the quickie is the problem Kasprowicz and Gillespie will not be involved which leaves Lee and Tait

Andrew Symonds blotted his copybook before the one dayer against Bangla Desh but I'd have had him in from the start and dropped Katich

Anyone know of any Aussie quicks coming through the ranks?
Old 15-09-2005, 10:59   #418
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001

England may have been the better team this series, but Australia will outclass us and play us of the pitch next chance they get.
Australia's next generation don't appear to be setting the world on fire.

Playing against Pakistan A, Australia A were bowled out for 196 and 130 to lose in three days, oh dear.
Old 15-09-2005, 17:54   #419
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Amusing cricket story from our local paper.
Old 19-09-2005, 09:22   #420
yesman

BBC

Quote:
Andrew Flintoff has tipped England to become a "superpower" of world cricket after their Ashes defeat of Australia.
Lets not get too carried away eh?

Closed Thread