Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why do you stay with Virgin, even if you are unhappy with the TV service?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Why do you stay with Virgin, even if you are unhappy with the TV service?
View Poll Results: Why do you stay with Virgin for your TV service, even if you are unhappy?
I'm locked in contract at the moment, I plan to leave. 4 7.02%
Virgin is the only option in my area. 6 10.53%
I can't afford other TV providers packages. 2 3.51%
I'd miss catch up TV, and on demand if I left. 13 22.81%
I'm just staying with Virgin for the broadband. 20 35.09%
I don't know, maybe I just like to having something to moan about! 1 1.75%
I'm blacklisted by SKY, they won't have me back. 1 1.75%
I'm too lazy to do anything about it. 3 5.26%
I don't like the idea of a dish on my house. 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2011, 12:03   #16
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Why do you stay with Virgin, even if you are unhappy with the TV service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l only stay with Virgin because we are not allowed a dish on the side of the house, its as simple as that, l do not have a go at Virgin just for the sake of it.
Virgins track record in the last year boils down to broken or vague promises in which they have fail to deliver on many fronts and then we have the mighty Tivo fiasco which is still ongoing.
Virgin need to look after their existing customers far better than they are currently and if they don,t l suspect they will lose many more customers to Sky.
I must admit that I do agree with some of your views Denphone, as much as it pains me

Personally I'm locked into a contract with Virgin with 7 months to go. If Premier Sports fails to arrive, and there isn't a jump in HD channels, I'll be looking to join SKY. The only problem is a large tree in my way, I'll need to get the dish in my garden, or on my chimney. That's what's put me off SKY so far.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2011, 13:06   #17
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooge View Post
Where's the "I don't want to pay BT £130 to get a landline installed" option?
BT are doing free installations when you take phone line and BB

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
Click on "View Poll Results" at the bottom right hand corner.
you can even see the vote logged off lol

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Whoops!!!

I've started a few votes before, I just assumed everyone could click on View Poll Results if they didn't want to vote. Is this option is only available to me, and not everyone else?

Is there anyway I can change this? Some interesting results so far
Hugh was not correct in what he said

We often see people saying why isnt there such and such a response but as is in this case you are asking those who are not happy with the tv. If you were asking "why do you stay with virgin" then there are many many possible responses missing. But its clear by the responses you offered how you were asking the question to many answers especially ones irrelevent to the question makes any statistical conclusion inaccurate
Old 02-04-2011, 15:09   #18
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Max broadband speed on a BT line in my steeet is rated at 6.9mb doesn't really compare with 50 (soon to be 100)mb does it. If Sky phoned me up tomorrow and said we can give you optical broadband, would you like our tv over virgin you would say yes wouldn't you.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 17:03   #19
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
Max broadband speed on a BT line in my steeet is rated at 6.9mb doesn't really compare with 50 (soon to be 100)mb does it. If Sky phoned me up tomorrow and said we can give you optical broadband, would you like our tv over virgin you would say yes wouldn't you.
If and when the Digital Economy Act gets sorted and implemented you are going to see massive shifts. People who use the internet for downloading music, TV programmes, films and games won't care as much about speed, they'll go to providers who are prepared to protect their anonymity. Alternatively if the Digital Economy Act is implemented and is then enforced to the letter by all internet providers, there's not too many homes in the UK that legitimately need 100mb. I've got 50mb and in my house it's not uncommon for the PC, laptop and Ninentdo Wii to all be on line at the same time. I was able to do this with 20mb no problems. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it won't be too long until Virgins broadband speeds are fairly useless to the masses. Once people realise they don't really need 50mb, or 100mb they might start turning to SKY even with their inferior internet speed.
Old 02-04-2011, 17:21   #20
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Maybe in the future companies like O2 , Talk Talk , Sky , Orange etc will have access to BT's FTTC offering upto 40 mb .
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 18:04   #21
Pster72
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Tivo VIP Package (Including Sky sports and Movies)
Pster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the rough

What winds me up about virgin is they have so much potential but dont seem to want to do anything about it they have the tools to do this broadband tivo and capacity for channel and more on demand content come on virgin pull your finger out !!!!!
Pster72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 19:24   #22
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

The first year they turn a profit and still everybody is still coming down on them? They have had debts the last few years and they have done well with the HD and also the OD content.

So could you imagine what it would be like if they had the same money at their disposal as SKY/BT.

OK rant over.

devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 19:47   #23
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
If and when the Digital Economy Act gets sorted and implemented you are going to see massive shifts. People who use the internet for downloading music, TV programmes, films and games won't care as much about speed, they'll go to providers who are prepared to protect their anonymity. Alternatively if the Digital Economy Act is implemented and is then enforced to the letter by all internet providers, there's not too many homes in the UK that legitimately need 100mb. I've got 50mb and in my house it's not uncommon for the PC, laptop and Ninentdo Wii to all be on line at the same time. I was able to do this with 20mb no problems. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it won't be too long until Virgins broadband speeds are fairly useless to the masses. Once people realise they don't really need 50mb, or 100mb they might start turning to SKY even with their inferior internet speed.
Strange, i thought 100mb speeds where needed to stream Full HD film to one room, why your daughter listens to spotify whilst video skyping in another room, whilst your son is blowing the crap out of everyone on call of duty whilst using his head set to wind all the yanks up..., you wouldn't manage all that on a copper bt line at peak times. Problem with people like you is you instantly accuse people of being pirates, this is supposed to be a digital revolution, not an economy and if i wanted to constantly stream a 24bit 96khz uncompressed sine wave into my house for the rest of my life, so long as i was prepared to pay for it a company would provide it and no f'ing government would stop me.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 19:51   #24
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Strange, i thought 100mb speeds where needed to stream Full HD film to one room, why your daughter listens to spotify whilst video skyping in another room, whilst your son is blowing the crap out of everyone on call of duty whilst using his head set to wind all the yanks up..., you wouldn't manage all that on a copper bt line at peak times. Problem with people like you is you instantly accuse people of being pirates, this is supposed to be a digital revolution, not an economy and if i wanted to constantly stream a 24bit 96khz uncompressed sine wave into my house for the rest of my life, so long as i was prepared to pay for it a company would provide it and no f'ing government would stop me.
Can we all calm down as this is getting to much about tech for me as i am a muppet when it comes to this
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 20:10   #25
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
because the question is aimed at people who are not happy with their tv services not people who are happy.

Adding your option to the poll would give false results and would ruin any statistical equation made at the end

I stay for the BB and get M tv free. I was on XL for the VOD but then HBO went and so did my interest
You mean the results might be less skewed?
Old 02-04-2011, 20:21   #26
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Problem with people like you is you instantly accuse people of being pirates
What? Who was I accusing of being a pirate? And what do you mean "people like you"? I was actually kind of agreeing with your point but from a different angle.

In fact don't bother answering. It'll undoubtedly be just another ignorant post.
Old 02-04-2011, 22:21   #27
Niknod
Inactive

Niknod is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to live in Hull, which is an uncabled area. During the last 15 years I lived there I had Sky, from the analogue days through to Sky+. When I moved into a cabled area my curiosity made me get Virgin rather than Sky just to see how it compared. I could always give it a year and then revert to Sky if I wasn't happy.

I was awed by the On Demand and Catch Ups services. I found them top notch, and to add to it all, there was the TV channel line up which took all the channels from Sky which were worth watching.... Filtering out all the rubbish that showed quizzes (name a dog, come on... just one dog could win you £25,000... give us a call and you could be talking to me....), teleshopping and girls on sofa channels. It was a TV service made in heaven for me.

There was the Sky Basics dispute which was a bit of a bind being without the leading multichannel station. But that was solved after a year or so, and once again Virgin was way ahead of Skys offering.

However this year it seems Virgin aren't interested in TV anymore, they sold the channels they owned, of which most got closed down by Sky, and since then it's been like a sinking ship. MTV Classics, MTV Shows were removed despite the fact they continue on Sky. CBS launched CBS Action and CBS Drama which remain missing from the Virgin line up. Sky replaced the channles they had closed that formerly belonged to Virgin, with SKy Atlantic... another channel that failed to appear on Virgin, and soon we see the launch of Sony, another high profile TV gem which will sit high up in the portfolio of the Sky EPG, and which will also be missing from Virgin. In short this year we have lost Channel 1, Bravo, MTV Classic, MTV Shows and Pop. These have been replaced by True Entertainment, while the high profile new channels have passed us by.

I am staying with Virgin because of the Catch up at the moment, but I am quite actively thinking about switching back to Sky, and if things don't change soon it won't be a hard decision.
Niknod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 22:55   #28
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

currently i am paying sky+vm,I would prefer to just be with vm but got to say i am disappointed at the lack of new channels(Especially HD).My half price deal runs out with sky in june/july and i was going to consider my options,However i won a tivo in the raffle so vm have got me for another 12 months at least.I hope in that time they improve the tv side otherwise i will then recluctenly consider moving to sky altogether again

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknod View Post
I used to live in Hull, which is an uncabled area. During the last 15 years I lived there I had Sky, from the analogue days through to Sky+. When I moved into a cabled area my curiosity made me get Virgin rather than Sky just to see how it compared. I could always give it a year and then revert to Sky if I wasn't happy.

I was awed by the On Demand and Catch Ups services. I found them top notch, and to add to it all, there was the TV channel line up which took all the channels from Sky which were worth watching.... Filtering out all the rubbish that showed quizzes (name a dog, come on... just one dog could win you £25,000... give us a call and you could be talking to me....), teleshopping and girls on sofa channels. It was a TV service made in heaven for me.

There was the Sky Basics dispute which was a bit of a bind being without the leading multichannel station. But that was solved after a year or so, and once again Virgin was way ahead of Skys offering.

However this year it seems Virgin aren't interested in TV anymore, they sold the channels they owned, of which most got closed down by Sky, and since then it's been like a sinking ship. MTV Classics, MTV Shows were removed despite the fact they continue on Sky. CBS launched CBS Action and CBS Drama which remain missing from the Virgin line up. Sky replaced the channles they had closed that formerly belonged to Virgin, with SKy Atlantic... another channel that failed to appear on Virgin, and soon we see the launch of Sony, another high profile TV gem which will sit high up in the portfolio of the Sky EPG, and which will also be missing from Virgin. In short this year we have lost Channel 1, Bravo, MTV Classic, MTV Shows and Pop. These have been replaced by True Entertainment, while the high profile new channels have passed us by.

I am staying with Virgin because of the Catch up at the moment, but I am quite actively thinking about switching back to Sky, and if things don't change soon it won't be a hard decision.
well said
howardmicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:14   #29
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I left VM due to their poor channel range in my opinion , as much as I like Tech the STB just delivers content to you. I have no regrets after switching to Sky and will probably move my BB and phone over when they are out of contract. VM BB is far superior to Sky however my ADSL2+ estimate is 9.5 - 11 mb which will do for me until Sky can use BT's fibre product.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33   #30
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknod View Post

That pretty much sums up our position, We have recently canned XL TV but kept M TV for catch up and got Sky+ HD.

VM has great broadband, great catch up but we finally concluded it was time to bypass the middleman, pay for HD and get a the other channels we wanted rather than wait for deals to be done.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote