Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 29-06-2009, 20:32   #811
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
re: The iPhone thread

Moira - you can always unlock the the original iPhone (1st gen). Although this can be agro.

Stereo bluetooth is 3G onwards only: http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/03...oth-iphone-30/
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2009, 21:06   #812
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice

You're talking to someone who is quite ignorant about mobile phone technology* ;-)
*But I'm ok with 'soft modding' things - Wii's and the like ;-) so unlocking shouldn't be a problem.
My daughter got the phone the Christmas when they came out over here..... how old does that make it?
She said something about there being 'something on the top that needed to be switched'(???) to enable another sim(????) I don't know.
I was hoping it would be quite straightforward.
Also, with regards to the 02 sims as far as I can see you have to have a monthly top up. I only use about £10 a year if that ;-) on my PAYG.
It would be nice to use it as an ipod touch as well as a phone but there's not much point in taking it from her if I can't do both.
Plus I would rather keep my value sim.
moiraf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 21:54   #813
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

The latest iPhone available in Dec 08 was the 3G (2nd phone) It is soft-unlockable at the moment, but won't be forever. So you need to get hold of the phone and unlock it before Apple releases an update. The predecessor, the 2G (1st phone) is basically always unlockable because Apple aren't really trying to stop people.

I think what your daughter is talking about a TurboSim, but i've never used one.
Old 29-06-2009, 22:06   #814
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T View Post
Does the iphone2g have stereo bluetooth with the 3.0 firmware? I'm guessing not.
Unfortunately not... I tested it
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 08:24   #815
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
Unfortunately not... I tested it
Cheers - I have a sony headset that came with a bluetooth transmitter but when I plugged it into my mates 3g iphone it didn't work so I suspect it won't work on the 2g one Ah well...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665274947
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 10:58   #816
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T View Post
Cheers - I have a sony headset that came with a bluetooth transmitter but when I plugged it into my mates 3g iphone it didn't work so I suspect it won't work on the 2g one Ah well...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665274947
I tested mine with my 2G iPhone and a Motorola HT820 Stereo Bluetooth Headset and It worked as a headset for calls but not for music streaming.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 11:19   #817
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It seems the iPhone dev team may have discovered a way to unlock the 3GS..

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06...ne_3gs_unlock/
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 12:08   #818
punky
Inactive

That's an old story. iPhone Dev do have a working jailbreak and unlock for 3GS but don't want to release it just yet as Apple will patch it straight away.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1319...ds-of-the-many
Old 30-06-2009, 12:30   #819
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice

She's had it over a year - does that mean it's 2G?? Christmas 2007 - was that the first year?
Old 30-06-2009, 12:35   #820
punky
Inactive

Yup Xmas 07 is a 2G phone. They are easily unlockable now that Apple don't sell them anymore.
Old 30-06-2009, 12:55   #821
moiraf100
Inactive

lovely jubbly - thank you. I just have to wait now :-)

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Sorry, but how easily unlockable is that?
Old 30-06-2009, 13:14   #822
punky
Inactive

Very, i've done it myself on my own 2G (3.0 software).

You download the 3.0 update, and then download the jailbreaking app. You need to download some more files but easily findable.

You plug your iphone in, run this app. It tells you to restart your phone and then press some buttons in a certain order (puts it into a special boot mode) the application then automatically connects to the iPhone and unlocks it. That's it really for the 2G. Only takes a few mins.

If you don't like it you can always restore the image from iTunes.
Old 30-06-2009, 13:27   #823
moiraf100
Inactive

Thanks punky
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31   #824
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

How long are people generally getting out of their battery? OK I'm new to it so constantly playing but I've noticed it starts running quite low about 9pm (having been charged up until 7am). I'm not used to this as my old phone (albeit a Nokia with very few additional features - lasted maybe 2 or 3 days) - its the 3G 16g
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41   #825
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

If you've got the wireless/3G/Bluetooth on all the time I understand that it really does drain the battery quite quickly - obviously I wouldn't know that from experience as I still can't find any that have stores that have one in stock.....
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote