Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 22-06-2009, 13:21   #781
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one
re: The iPhone thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Has anyone at CF with a 3G upgraded to the 3G S, or is planning to do so?
Ordered one on Friday for my wife. She has the 1st iphone which is jailbroken and will go on ebay.
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2009, 16:48   #782
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Doesn't look like XP64 is supported yet
Old 22-06-2009, 20:29   #783
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Mazuma & a few others will give £200 for a 16GB 3G, and Mobile Phone Buyer will give £211.
Mazuma: https when registering. Money comes via a cheque.

Mobile Phone Buyer: no https when registering, money comes via BACS to your bank account (but: details of which are entered into an unsecure page).

Mazuma for me.

-----------------------------------------

For anyone planning on getting a 3GS on contract - if you buy from Mobiles.co.uk (part of CPW AFAIK) via the cashback website Quidco you will earn £60 cashback (info courtesy of Martin Lewis' MoneySavingExpert.com weekly email):

http://www.quidco.com/mobiles-co-uk/

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-iphone

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...hback-websites
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 21:30   #784
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I would do what your are Matt if it were not for the fact that I would need the 32gig which is a wooping £500. Might as well wait until next iPhone when hopefully the upgrade will be more drastic.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 21:40   #785
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I want 32GB... but only 'cos it's the biggest.

But I need no more than 16GB.

I've only actually filled about half of my 16GB 3G. Although I still haven't got around to ripping all of my CDs, I'd probably not top 10GBish, so still have room for more music or some videos.
Old 22-06-2009, 21:42   #786
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I downloaded the Entire season of Brass Eye, along with my music collection it pretty much wipes out the 16gig :P
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 22:04   #787
squiggs1982
Inactive

squiggs1982 is a jewel in the roughsquiggs1982 is a jewel in the roughsquiggs1982 is a jewel in the roughsquiggs1982 is a jewel in the roughsquiggs1982 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I bought the 16gb 3Gs thinking it would be enough - stupidest thing I've ever done! Went back today for a 32gb swap over! :-)
squiggs1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 22:34   #788
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Doesn't look like XP64 is supported yet

Then install 32 bit xp in a VM you have been told this before surely
Old 23-06-2009, 09:51   #789
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Then install 32 bit xp in a VM you have been told this before surely
Yes m8, you did
Old 24-06-2009, 21:36   #790
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

"Find my iPhone" in action...

http://happywaffle.livejournal.com/5890.html
Old 28-06-2009, 01:20   #791
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Well, as expected, I gave in...

I picked up a PAYG 16GB iPhone 3GS from the Apple Store on Friday evening after work.

Got there at about 5:50pm, 10 minutes before closing.

Got served a few minutes before six. The assistant ("A-Train") was very helpful, & I was out of there around 6:10pm.

I had to do a £10 Top Up online on the PAYG SIM & Activate the iPhone in store, even though I said I was planning on simply putting my Pay Monthly SIM in it & not actually using it as a PAYG. Apparently this is standard practice & the same happens if you buy a PAYG one in the O2 store too. He told me though that all I had to do was phone O2, & they could credit it back to my contract bill - I did that on Saturday, & a very helpful O2 iPhone CSR called Patrick sorted that out for me.

Swapped SIMs at home on Friday, hooked the 3GS up to iTunes & then restored the 3G backup to my 3GS & sync'd it. And then my new 3GS was up & running

Not had a full play with it yet, but it's definitely a lot faster than the 3G. Even just web-browsing with Safari is noticeably faster.

The compass works well, & the way Google Maps orientates accordingly is good.

I tried the Voice Control, but didn't have much luck. Seemed a bit hit & miss (something I also found when using voice control on my old old XDA Mini S running WM5). It's just a novelty for me though anyway.

Me: "Play Portishead."

iPhone: "Playing The Verve."

Me: "No, PLAY PORTISHEAD."

iPhone: "Call Richard?"

Tried a few other things. Some worked, some were way off...
Old 28-06-2009, 11:22   #792
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
"Find my iPhone" in action...

http://happywaffle.livejournal.com/5890.html
Ha! Brilliant.

Quote:
I tried the Voice Control, but didn't have much luck.
Me: "Play Portishead."

iPhone: "Playing The Verve."

Me: "No, PLAY PORTISHEAD."

iPhone: "Call Richard?"
Sounds like you had great luck there, Matt. A 3GS with a good taste in music!
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 12:45   #793
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Might not be by design but seemingly the 3GS is waterproof when shooting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qbWjaW25mQ
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 12:47   #794
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

HHHmmm that is just the kind of thing Rammy would do

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

edit - I spilt a cup of tea over my touch without damaging it.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 14:20   #795
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

I wonder how long the 3GS kept on working
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote