Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 19-06-2009, 15:26   #766
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
re: The iPhone thread

Ok so not specifically for the phone, but I just noticed this about the touch.... I didn't even know it had bluetooth in it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg touch.jpg (168.9 KB, 25 views)
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2009, 15:31   #767
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T View Post
Ok so not specifically for the phone, but I just noticed this about the touch.... I didn't even know it had bluetooth in it!
AFAIK the touch does everything the phone can, except phone of course, even then, you can make calls on a touch with the right kit and jailbroken software
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 15:33   #768
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
Hold the home button and press and release the standby button on top.
Thanks - god knows how i did it accidently then!
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 16:00   #769
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
AFAIK the touch does everything the phone can, except phone
And no camera of course.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 17:13   #770
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
And no camera of course.

My bad, no camera
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 21:20   #771
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Apparently the photos are a little bit sharper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
I can't believe that original iPhones are not capable of MMS - as it runs through GPRS/Edge and not a 3G connection! Its really not nice of apple to limit the hardware like this when its completely capable of such things as MMS and A2DP Bluetooth!

That does rather extract the urine.

As you say, MMS does not need 3G - GPRS is fine for it, so why can't the original iPhone do MMS...

Apple trying to make more of a distinction between them, to help tempt any remaining original iPhone owners to upgrade?

--------------------------

I hate Gadget Lust...I am so tempted by the 3G S

But I'd need to sell my 3G, then make up the (most likely vast) difference for a PAYG 3G S & swap SIMs.

Really want a 32GB for some reason too... even though I've only filled just over half the space on my 16GB 3G...

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Stephen Fry has reviewed the iPhone 3G S and loves it:

http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/2009/...es-iphone-3gs/

He also comments on the N97... not impressed.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 01:16   #772
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
That does rather extract the urine.

As you say, MMS does not need 3G - GPRS is fine for it, so why can't the original iPhone do MMS...

Apple trying to make more of a distinction between them, to help tempt any remaining original iPhone owners to upgrade?
Its Apple trying to bite the hand that feeds, like normal.

SwirlyMMS sends and receives genuine MMSes properly. None of this paying-for-credit or routing it through a website. Its a proper MMS sent from the phone. That shows that it can be done. However, its for jailbroken phones only and costs $8 on the Cydia marketplace.

That does annoy me a bit.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 06:33   #773
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

And apparently there is already an unlock solution for the 3GS from the guys over at Rebel Sim Card...
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 10:17   #774
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

any suggestions on a docking station that i can plug my iphone 3gs into and have a party oh and it would be handy if it charged the 3gs as well
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 16:20   #775
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSAGES View Post
any suggestions on a docking station that i can plug my iphone 3gs into and have a party oh and it would be handy if it charged the 3gs as well
Won't most iPod speaker docks do it ok? Any that have the iPhone cerification should work... Some have line out jacks to plug into the line-in of a huge stereo
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 16:54   #776
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
Its Apple trying to bite the hand that feeds, like normal.

SwirlyMMS sends and receives genuine MMSes properly. None of this paying-for-credit or routing it through a website. Its a proper MMS sent from the phone. That shows that it can be done. However, its for jailbroken phones only and costs $8 on the Cydia marketplace.

That does annoy me a bit.

Does seem rather unfair.

Regarding Jailbreaking:

The Jailbreak tool for OS3.0 has been released, works on iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch. Will also carrier unlock the original iPhone. Carrier unlocking for the 3G is on the way.
Old 21-06-2009, 19:45   #777
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Has anyone at CF with a 3G upgraded to the 3G S, or is planning to do so?

As I said earlier, I'm getting more & more tempted. I may sell my 3G via Mazuma or something, & then get a 16GB 3G S on PAYG & put my contract SIM in it. 32GB would be nice, simply 'cos it's the largest available, but realistically 16GB is more than enough for me.

If you replace one iPhone with another, is it just a case of swapping the SIM, & then activating the new one via iTunes? Does iTunes restore the old phone's backup onto the new phone?

Still not 100% sure yet though.
Old 21-06-2009, 20:07   #778
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Yes the new Phone would restore your 3G back up, and you would also just put in your existing sim. Don't think it would need activated as your sim is already in service.

I had my 3G replaced last month for a new one and after restoring my back up I don't remember having to activate it again.

Carphone warehouse would give you £170 for the 8GB 3G and £180 or the 16GB 3G. They do trade in on their site now.

Also play.com have an unlocked 32GB 3G s for pre order......its only £999.99!!!!!!

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4.../Product.html#
Old 21-06-2009, 20:12   #779
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Cheers

£999.99 unlocked?!

CPW's trade-in isn't very competitive.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/pho...recycling#tool

Mazuma & a few others will give £200 for a 16GB 3G, and Mobile Phone Buyer will give £211.
Old 21-06-2009, 21:22   #780
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

A mate just sold his 16GB 3G for £220 on ebay.