Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 16-06-2009, 16:35   #721
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
re: The iPhone thread

I've been sending and recieving MMS messages since I installed 3.0 last wednesday evening.

As soon as I installed it I got the MMS from 1010 letting me know it was set up.
Old 16-06-2009, 16:39   #722
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post

Can't believe your waiting, you can always restore back to 2.2 then get the official upgrade.
I can wait, I've changed ................... a little
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 17:22   #723
matt-h
Inactive

Services: SkyHD , VM BB 60Mb
matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I've been sending and recieving MMS messages since I installed 3.0 last wednesday evening.

As soon as I installed it I got the MMS from 1010 letting me know it was set up.
Ahh.

Was just quoting from the text i got off o2. Looking at the website i see its now changed to the 17th.

Bless 'em
matt-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 20:38   #724
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Well, CPW are doing cashback offers on the 3GS http://www.t3.com/news/carphone-ware...ne-3g-s?=39159
Someone could get more selling their iPhone 3G to e.g. Mazuma mobile -

£180 for an 8GB iPhone 3G

£200 for a 16GB iPhone 3G

Mobile recycling comparison tool:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/pho...recycling#tool

On eBay or somewhere, it may fetch even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
That is good news, I might have to upgrade if they are going to pay off the rest of my contract as well, I can't see any link to that but if they're going to buy my Iphone 3G 8 gig surely they'll have to buy out the contract or is that price just for the handset ?

Why would they buy out the contract?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 20:58   #725
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Someone could get more selling their iPhone 3G to e.g. Mazuma mobile -

£180 for an 8GB iPhone 3G

£200 for a 16GB iPhone 3G

Mobile recycling comparison tool:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/pho...recycling#tool

On eBay or somewhere, it may fetch even more.

Why would they buy out the contract?
Well IIRC the sim is tied to the phone or vise versa so the sim wouldn't be much use, I'm assuming I'm wrong then ?
Old 16-06-2009, 21:08   #726
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I don't think they're actually tied together, it's simply that the iPhone requires an O2 SIM.

e.g Someone could sell their 3G, keep their SIM, then buy a PAYG 3GS and put their original SIM in that. The person who bought the 3G could then put their own contract or PAYG SIM in it, so long as it was an O2 SIM.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/paymonth.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2
Upgrading to the new iPhone 3G S

Existing Pay Monthly customers have the following options for upgrading
to iPhone 3G S:

Option 2 - purchase the iPhone 3G S on Pay & Go from 19 June. You can give your existing iPhone 3G to someone you know.

Pay Monthly customers can place their existing iPhone 3G sim card into the iPhone 3G S and receive all the latest functionality. Customers must continue to pay for their existing Pay Monthly tariff.

I can't see any reason why CPW/O2 would pay off the rest of someone's contract - the 3G was subsidised, and the 3GS is subsidised. Paying off someone's contract, or letting them off early, means losing money.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 00:14   #727
bopdude
Inactive

SOOooooooooooooo when's the update gonna be released, patience is breaking down keep tryingto update through itunes but saying that I'm up to date, with 2.2.1 ish
Old 17-06-2009, 08:44   #728
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Today, I believe.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 09:25   #729
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The update will probably go live after the West coast USA wakes up today
Old 17-06-2009, 10:50   #730
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

A little heads-up for our non-O2 iPhone bearing members.

It appears that the iPhone Dev team have cracked 3.0 and it works on any iPhone (including 3GS) and baseband. I'm waiting for confirmation from them, but seems to be the case pieceing together statements.

The unlock, ultrasn0w, should be available Friday. If you just need to jailbreak, it will be available straight after Apple start pushing the update.

Remember ONLY trust the iPhone Dev team's official site (quickpwn.com etc AREN'T anything to do with iPhone Dev Team). They have a twitter account for updates: @MuscleNerd and he is answering questions too :noworthy:
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 11:07   #731
matt-h
Inactive

Services: SkyHD , VM BB 60Mb
matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future

6pm tonight seems to be favourite. Just been for a quick nosey round the apple discussions forum and its full of people crying it wasnt released at 00:00.01s

Swiftly followed by the " i stayed up all night hammered the refresh key and it isnt out yet!!!!111" crowd.

Bless 'em. So it looks like , when it does appear , the update servers are going to melt again.

Weekend it is
matt-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 11:50   #732
D_Skids
Inactive

D_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant future

I read that the update has now been put back to the 18th due to some last minute 'fixes'. But I also heard that does not affect Europe so not sure how true it is or not
D_Skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:21   #733
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

I read elsewhere that the update should be live after 3pm UK time
Old 17-06-2009, 15:34   #734
bopdude
Inactive

Nothing here yet via itunes
Old 17-06-2009, 16:46   #735
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Skids View Post
I read that the update has now been put back to the 18th due to some last minute 'fixes'. But I also heard that does not affect Europe so not sure how true it is or not
Apparently Apple have changed the dates on SOME international sites to the 18th to reflect that the update will be released on 17th June in the US.. Of course, when it's the 17th in the US, it will be the 18th in other countries.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote