Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 360/Wireless Router Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

360/Wireless Router Problems

Old 29-03-2006, 15:14   #1
Wyat
Inactive

Wyat is an unknown quantity at this point
360/Wireless Router Problems

This is my first post...so please go easy.

I have cable broadband, NTL. My (windows XP) PC is upstairs in my office, my 360 is downstairs. I have two convenient broadband 'inputs' into my house & up until a week ago, would simply unscrew my modem and carry it up/down stairs accordingly. My PC would connect to the modem via USB and the 360 via ethernet. I had no connection problems and was able to swap & change between devices at my convenience.

However, to save all the screwing/unscrewing, I was advised to buy a wireless router and went for a d-link DI-524 with a DWL-G122 wireless USB adapter. I was advised to put the wireless router downstairs (with the 360 hardwired into it) and upstairs have a wireless adapter plugged into the PC to pick up the internet connection.

I did this but my world has now become a living hell!!!

Basically, I can not get either the 360 or PC to connect when the router is plugged in. I can't even go back to how things were - for some reason even discarding the router now means that I have to wait 4 hours between switching from PC to 360 connection (and vice versa).

So far, I have done all the obvious things - checked the power up sequence/cables connected properly but no joy. I've reset the router to factory default settings (DHCP enabled, MAC address NOT cloned) but still no go.

Any advice would be appreciated - either to solve the router problem or to restore everything back to how it was (& I'll bin the router!) But please note that I am a newbie & terminology goes right over my head (haven't a clue what MAC addresses/DHCP/WEP, etc all means....sorry ). Thanks
Wyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2006, 17:08   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 360/Wireless Router Problems

to Cable Forum

First of all to get things working, ignore the wireless side of the router, and just operate wired. Later you can sort the wireless once you know you have basic connectivity.

For now wire the modem to the router's WAN port, and the computer to one of the LAN ports. If you power cycle everything, that should now enable you to both get online to the internet with the PC, and also get to the router's configuration menus.

OK, it may be inconvenient to get the PC going wired, and you may have to move the PC temporarily near the modem, but at least you will know that the basics are there. If you can't get a wired connection to see the router's admin pages from the PC, you know that the router/PC or wire between them is the fault. IF you can see the router's admin pages on the PC, but not the internet, the problem has to be the ntl connection or modem, or wire between modem and router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 09:45   #3
Wyat
Inactive

Wyat is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 360/Wireless Router Problems

Thanks Rob. I have already tried to connect modem to router to PC as you suggest & no joy. Windows says it can't get an IP address - even when it offers to 'repair' the problem.

However, I CAN connect directly from router to PC (without the modem) and access the settings (under 192.168.0.1). As stated before, my PC has never had a problem connecting directly to the modem (which it is now - so the modem/PC must be working fine!)

I can connect directly from modem to 360 to Xbox Live. But as soon as I add the router to the mix I cannot connect to Xbox Live and I am told something along the lines that 'a lease could not be negotiated'.
Wyat is offline   Reply With Quote