Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgins retention deals?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT socket spur/microfilter confusion

Old 28-10-2016, 13:55   #1
Dfbrand
Inactive

Dfbrand is an unknown quantity at this point
BT socket spur/microfilter confusion

Hello all, long time peruser, first time user. I've had a botched BT install and I've had an engineer back to fix it today. I have a question and he wasn't sure. I've attached a picture for clarity.
So the socket was replaced today, the black cable on the right goes to a phone upstairs. It used to plug into the socket but he has now wired it to come directly off the socket (it goes in underneath).
The cable plugged in is an extension, into the end of it is an ADSL filter and into the filter is plugged my BT router.

My question is... as the phone upstairs is now connected directly to the socket, is it going to cause problems with the ADSL? As to be it appears that the spur going off upstairs doesn't go through a filter.

Hope this makes some sense. If you need a diagram let me know and I'll knock one up.

Thanks for your help all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2182.JPG (95.1 KB, 16 views)
Dfbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2016, 14:13   #2
Dfbrand
Inactive

Re: BT socket spur/microfilter confusion

Ive added a very crude diagram just for clarification (or possibly further confusion...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bt diagram.jpg (46.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 28-10-2016, 16:14   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It's been a very long time since I've had BT based broadband, but I'm pretty sure you need a microfilter on all sockets that have a device plugged into them.
Old 28-10-2016, 19:45   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

With the socket you have you will need filters for any phones you wish to connect.

As the engineer has fitted a "new" socket I would've expected him to fit one with a SSFP which would negate the need for filters.

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 19:59   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

The new 5C master socket doesnt seem to have a adsl filter built in so you will need one for your phone upstairs
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 23:02   #6
Dfbrand
Inactive

Unfortunately he didn't fit one of the filtered sockets, that would have been nice....

Thanks for your answers all, so I'm guessing that as long as a filter is plugged in at the end of the spur upstairs then there shouldn't be a problem? I was just concerned because I was always under the impression that the micro filter had to be the very first thing off a socket and I wasn't sure whether this spur would 'precede' the main connection off the socket. Do I make any sense?

Thanks again!