Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 15:05   #6016
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
By stating this can I please ask you to confirm:

If Joe bloggs wants TiVo and is dropping Sky triple services to do so, will they only pay £199 (+ Free Install) to have TiVo, BB and phone installed?

If correct then this is only £10 more than an existing customer is being asked to pay for TiVo install.

I really hope you havn't opened a can of worms
How can I open a can of worms when it quite clearly states that installation is free when taking out all 3 services for the first time, but that does not mention TiVo at this time so all I am doing is showing that the £40 installation charge is a standard price nothing more.
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2011, 15:06   #6017
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjs37 View Post
I wasn't aware of that but that's bleeding rediculous. A 1TB hard drive wouldnt cost them anywhere near £250 extra than a 500gb one. Considering they're already absorbing the cost for the 500GB hard drive the 1TB could have only been like £30 difference, £50 at most really.

I could understand the difference in Sky's boxes (and Tivo's when their lower tier hard drive arrives) if there was a different number of tuners, etc i.e. an actual lesser spec. But the price difference isn't justified by the hard drive differences. With HD bigger hard drives are becoming more of a neccesity. If they think that should cost an extra £250 I'd rather they give me the opportunity to plug my own external hard drive in.
But the true cost of the standard Sky+ HD box is £199. My first bill said that but I received a credit equal to that amount.

The 1TB dosen't attract any subsidy. Sky know that the take up for the 1TB box will be (and indeed is) miniscule and accordingly charge full price and quite rightly so. For the tiny amount of people who want or need 1TB of HDD space they have to pay for it.
Old 03-04-2011, 15:43   #6018
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
How can I open a can of worms when it quite clearly states that installation is free when taking out all 3 services for the first time, but that does not mention TiVo at this time so all I am doing is showing that the £40 installation charge is a standard price nothing more.
That's fair enough, I'm just saying that this offer for new customers is going to cause uproar with the long suffering existing customers who want TiVo and could effectively only be paying £10 less for it.

I guess we will have to wait and see until TiVo gets released officially to see what the exact prices are.
Old 03-04-2011, 16:24   #6019
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
You are completly missing the point of the anger towards theis £40 insall charge.

People who have had Tivo installed and paid for it didn't pay the install charge. These were separate to any competition winners.

If they didn't have to pay, why should other pre regs? If VM had charged them, then, this issue wouldn't be causing the fuss it is

It's about fairness and consistent charging, plain and simple.
It was a competition/special draw/promotion/whatever. I'd be miffed if I'd won something and then asked to pay to receive it!

I don't get the jealousy issue, seems fair to me. besides, as indicated by VM rep in an email to media boy(?) the few who had it early were effectively beta testing and so put up with features not working properly etc.

Boz
Old 03-04-2011, 16:39   #6020
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
It was a competition/special draw/promotion/whatever. I'd be miffed if I'd won something and then asked to pay to receive it!

I don't get the jealousy issue, seems fair to me. besides, as indicated by VM rep in an email to media boy(?) the few who had it early were effectively beta testing and so put up with features not working properly etc.

Boz
The non S1 owners who paid for Tivo were not competition winners and weren't informed they were beta testers when being offered it at the offered price. And they were charged £149 all in.

I'm certainly not complaining about the competition winners. Some win a competition and some don't. I didn't but I'm fine with that. All I'm asking is that I'm charged the same price as the people who currently have Tivo and paid for it.

Which email are you reffering to?
Old 03-04-2011, 16:50   #6021
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The non S1 owners who paid for Tivo were not competition winners and weren't informed they were beta testers when being offered it at the offered price. And they were charged £149 all in.

I'm certainly not complaining about the competition winners. Some win a competition and some don't. I didn't but I'm fine with that. All I'm asking is that I'm charged the same price as the people who currently have Tivo and paid for it.

Which email are you reffering to?
Fair enough, I misread. Still don't get the jealousy though. As I said, they were taking an unfinished service early, while bugs were ironed out, and for that inconvenience they waived the install fee.

It's not really about fairness, just jealousy. Sorry, don't mean to offend, but that's how it comes across. Just don't let it get to you. We have a chance to get £50 off if we sign up next month, or in several months time we might get this cheaper smaller TiVo box.
Old 03-04-2011, 16:55   #6022
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Fair enough, I misread. Still don't get the jealousy though. As I said, they were taking an unfinished service early, while bugs were ironed out, and for that inconvenience they waived the install fee.

It's not really about fairness, just jealousy. Sorry, don't mean to offend, but that's how it comes across. Just don't let it get to you. We have a chance to get £50 off if we sign up next month, or in several months time we might get this cheaper smaller TiVo box.
It would be jealousy if people were complaining about those who got free boxes.

This is about fairness, the deal offered to Tivo1 users (who were not generally VM customers at the time or not a pre-condition) with no install fee should have been offered to pre-reg VM customers, simple as that.

VM screwed up here IMHO as just doing that would have substantially changed the tone of this BB!
Old 03-04-2011, 16:56   #6023
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
That's fair enough, I'm just saying that this offer for new customers is going to cause uproar with the long suffering existing customers who want TiVo and could effectively only be paying £10 less for it.

I guess we will have to wait and see until TiVo gets released officially to see what the exact prices are.
Exactly as until that point everything is just guesswork and conjecture nothing more.
Old 03-04-2011, 17:02   #6024
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post

This is about fairness, the deal offered to Tivo1 users (who were not generally VM customers at the time or not a pre-condition) .
Yes i understand but they did not know that the TIVO S1 were going to get shut down in June as they got the confirmation after this
Old 03-04-2011, 17:11   #6025
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Just don't let it get to you..
Don't worry I'm not. Just because people post strong view on a forum doesn't mean that what they are posting about is getting to them.

I'll be getting Tivo and TBH the £40 install charge didn't surprise me and was half expected.

But I think it's good that VM are getting a lot of flack on the forums; maybe next time they launch a new box, they'll be able to do it without angering their loyal customer base; purely by doing it in a manner that is seen to be fair.

The odd thing is, that if they had charged everyone who wasn't a winner, the £40 install charge, much of this would have gone away (and they'd have made a bit more money too.)
Old 03-04-2011, 17:20   #6026
ntl.wotcha
Inactive

ntl.wotcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The odd thing is, that if they had charged everyone who wasn't a winner, the £40 install charge, much of this would have gone away (and they'd have made a bit more money too.)
Actually I wouldn't have taken it at that price as it was a crippled service. Only 2 tuners remember. I would have waited until now before signing up as a pre-reg or just stuck with V+ until prices dropped.
Old 03-04-2011, 17:37   #6027
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl.wotcha View Post
Actually I wouldn't have taken it at that price as it was a crippled service. Only 2 tuners remember. I would have waited until now before signing up as a pre-reg or just stuck with V+ until prices dropped.
I would have. I'd have been paying the same price as I'm going to now and I'd have had Tivo functionality earlier.

With it's few launch functionality limitations, It would have been worth it for the 1TB drive to stop me continually keeping an eye on recording space and I'm used to just having two tuners as I never watch anything live. Really looking forward to three though as it will remove the need to keep looking for repeat showings on recording classhes.
Old 03-04-2011, 18:02   #6028
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl.wotcha View Post
I thought the fix to activate the third tuner came out about a fortnight ago?

Just found this (sorry if it has been posted before) - you can set your Tivo to record remotely - http://tv.virginmedia.com/vtvapp/epg.do
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 03-04-2011, 20:23   #6029
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Interesting targeted ads seems to be the big money earner for the future

TIVO

Information about your TiVo use: By having the TiVo service and/or by using it you are providing your consent for us to use your viewing information to personalise your experience of the TiVo service (in addition to the other purposes set out in our privacy policy). We may share with third parties information about your use of the TiVo service in an aggregated form which will not personally identify you. This aggregated data may be used by those third parties for their marketing purposes (e.g. to improve their targeting of advertising based on user preferences).

Sky

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/News/Most...tform-AdSmart/
Old 03-04-2011, 22:09   #6030
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

More bad news for TiVo:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/03/t...y-breach-spam/
Closed Thread