Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Whats Your www.pingtest.net result?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear WNR200 & Xbox Live

Old 03-12-2010, 10:58   #1
MakaveLee
Inactive

MakaveLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Netgear WNR200 & Xbox Live

Im about to throw this router out the window its fair to say. I'll explain whats going on.

I've had the router for id say nearly 2 years now, its been fine, not a bad word to say about it. But in the past few months im having trouble playing games on Xbox Live. The PC side of things is fine, it connects wired and wireless fine, I have no problems with dropped connections, browsing and downloading, I can download off usenet at 1200kbs (I have Virgin 10mb). I do a speed test and I get an 'A' rating, speed of around 10mb, do a ping test, no dropped packets.

I didn't play any games on Xbox Live for a while, I lost interest in gaming but I always had a Gold subscription, I can download demos and arcade games etc at full speed it seems. It started when I started playing FIFA 11 online, almost every game was laggy, which would end up in my opponant quitting, it says my NAT is open so should be no problems.

Now i've started playing COD Black Ops, its most certainly playable, just not consistant. Ill have full bars for a minute or two, then it will drop to minimum bars, lagging and jerking all over the place, then go back up to full, then drop again. My friends say my character will jerk all over the place too. If im ever chosen as host the game will last about 15 seconds before im booted out and other host is chosen.

We have 2 Xbox's in the house, mine is wired, and my brothers is wireless and we both experience this problem. So last week I got fed up and tired to fix it. I've rebooted the modem, reflashed the router, turned the router NAT firewall off, forwarded ports, put Xbox Live as priority on Quality of Service, everything, and im still having problems. So to make sure it was the router I did a test last night and plugged the Xbox directly into the modem. Perfect connection, no lag, no weak connection, I was even hosting several games perfectly fine with everyone having full connection strength.

So simple question after all of that, is the router just out of steam? It seems strange that I can download what I want on the PC (we have 4 computers, all fine) at full speed with no problems but as soon as I want to do some online gaming I have to put up with awful lag. Any suggestions?
MakaveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2010, 15:09   #2
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Netgear WNR200 & Xbox Live

Have you tried changing wireless channel? You mention everything but that. I have had a similar problem to you twice in the past though with PC gaming rather than console. First time was a dead router (Perfect for a year then one day wireless just packed in, wired is still fine to this day). Second time was a new wireless network popped up in the vicinity of mine and caused catastrophic interference, changed to a suitable channel and all was well.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 15:14   #3
MakaveLee
Inactive

That isn't the problem as my Xbox is a wired connection to the router and it still does it same as the wireless. I have tried different signals for wireless though.
Old 03-12-2010, 15:23   #4
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveLee View Post
That isn't the problem as my Xbox is a wired connection to the router and it still does it same as the wireless. I have tried different signals for wireless though.
Sorry missed that bit. Sounds like a dead router is likely then. At least they are nice and cheap these days. Especially if you don't actually need the N capability of the netgear.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 15:55   #5
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

its that black ops again http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/...ection-issues/
this may be handy for you as well
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/30...l#post35127235
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 16:24   #6
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Are both XBoxes connected at the same time? Does it still lag with only one XBox through the router?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 16:34   #7
MakaveLee
Inactive

Yes I tired last night, the wired Xbox was the only thing switched on connected to the router, I turned off all computers just to be sure nothing was interfearing.