Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | X-Micro WLAN 11b Access Point

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

X-Micro WLAN 11b Access Point

Old 27-04-2007, 11:41   #1
murfitUK
cf.addict

murfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to all
X-Micro WLAN 11b Access Point

I dropped my old wireless router when dusting and broke it but after rummaging about in a cupboard discovered I had an X-Micro WLAN 11b access point.

I've connected it to the ntl250 modem and have tried to follow the instructions but only having partial joy. This is an appeal for your help!

Using my laptop with Linux I can create a wireless network but have to specify an IP address for the laptop. I can then access the X-Micro set up pages - and I have changed the SSID and set a password. That works fine. However, I cannot access the internet. BUT if I then remove the specified IP address from the laptop I can access the internet but not the X-Micro set up pages.

Now, if I run upstairs to my desktop PC I can set up the wireless connection, specify an IP address and access the set up pages. Fine. But I can't access the internet. I then tried removing the IP address but found I couldn't access the internet nor the set up pages. It seems to stick on the acquiring network address status.

(Fortunately, there are a couple of unsecure networks near me and I'm able to connect through them for short periods of time so I can post this message!)

I'm at a loss now. Can anyone give me any pointers in the right direction? Thanks. I've applied the latest firmware updates and all that but still no joy.
murfitUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2007, 21:32   #2
kfridge
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV(M), Phone, Broadband(2MB) 2MB broadband
kfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to kfridge
Re: X-Micro WLAN 11b Access Point

might be the old MAC address authorisation problem...try the following:

switch off the modem and access point
connect the modem to the access point
switch on the modem and wait for the lights to settle
switch on the access point

this should authorise the MAC address of the access point to the the modem which will allow the modem to assign an IP address to the access point!
kfridge is offline   Reply With Quote