Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

Old 06-03-2015, 10:31   #91
huwjr
Inactive

huwjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

Hi all,

We've had some downtime here and there, but it has definitely been "more" stable, may jut be luck though.

Today our superhub rebooted again and lost all its config, so if you haven't already I recommend you take a fresh backup just in case.

What a crock of sh*t
huwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2015, 12:46   #92
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do a backup of mine now.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 16:21   #93
FGUK
Inactive

FGUK is an unknown quantity at this point

We used to have a SuperHub that would regularly fail, but a power cycle would get it back.

Now we have a SuperHub that doesn't regularly fail, but when it does it loses all of its config entirely.

Progress.......not sure.
FGUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 20:19   #94
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Are you still on the .13 firmware release?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 20:26   #95
FGUK
Inactive

Yes
Old 17-03-2015, 10:46   #96
huwjr
Inactive

huwjr is an unknown quantity at this point

Our 2nd office has just suffered the same fate.

Don't forget to take backups and save yourself a pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by huwjr View Post
Hi all,

We've had some downtime here and there, but it has definitely been "more" stable, may jut be luck though.

Today our superhub rebooted again and lost all its config, so if you haven't already I recommend you take a fresh backup just in case.

What a crock of sh*t
huwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 23:11   #97
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

does anyone know why VMB will not roll an affected location back to the .06 release of firmware?
Old 18-03-2015, 13:11   #98
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

We are on the .13 firmware and are having a lockup about once per week. We got fed up with resetting the modem so a couple of months ago I raised this as a formal complaint and was eventually offered 3 months rental as compensation which came through on our account this month. There was no timescale for a fix given, just an apology for the continuing fault.

I would encourage everyone affected to demand refunds too, as loss of revenue might kick VM into action to solve the problem, as there is no sign they are in any hurry to fix the issue.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 00:59   #99
ccarmock
cf.geek

There has been some talk of an alternative (non Netgear based) device for business services so I wonder if they are aiming for that instead.....

I see no sign of Superhub 2AC business firmware to support fixed IP addresses at the faster speed yet.
Old 25-03-2015, 15:10   #100
FGUK
Inactive

I don't know if it adds much to the discussion but.....

After filling in a VM Business survey at the beginning of the month I had a call with customer services. First I was offered to leave VM without penalty, then she said she would work out if she could organise a one off goodwill payment (holding my breath still). She also offered their leased line of course, but that isn't really an alternative in terms of cost.

And she wouldn't commit to any fix for the existing service, or any date for SH2 and fixed IP.
Old 25-03-2015, 15:40   #101
drsox
Inactive

drsox is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the update.. our Business SH has reduced in how often it drops off the LAN (and only the LAN!) but still does it randomly.

I am off-site most of the time so each time I remotely log into the admin interface of the SH over WAN and reboot it - which solves it.
drsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 21:26   #102
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGUK View Post
I don't know if it adds much to the discussion but.....

After filling in a VM Business survey at the beginning of the month I had a call with customer services. First I was offered to leave VM without penalty, then she said she would work out if she could organise a one off goodwill payment (holding my breath still). She also offered their leased line of course, but that isn't really an alternative in terms of cost.

And she wouldn't commit to any fix for the existing service, or any date for SH2 and fixed IP.
Quite why they cannot or will not roll back to the previous firmware release is strange. That version appeared to be stable.

I wonder if there had to be an upgrade to allow some other network changes to proceed, and now they can't go back.
Old 30-03-2015, 12:44   #103
VirginPain
Inactive

VirginPain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

I’m new at this forum but I’ve been following it since few month back.

We have just installed a 50Mb broadband with 1 Static IP and I’ve been trying to setup our DrayTek Router 2820V using the using the super hub in modem mode, but I failed all the time.

Basically I’ve been told by the Support team that I need to use PPPoE authentications (I’ve got the Username and Password from the SH) over the Wan port 2 on the DrayTek, but it’s not working.

If I put the Router on “automatically get IP” DHCP, I can get some response but with a different IP, NetMask, and GW, and not been able to ping the outside.

Today after 30min waiting on the phone with Virgin, a nice lady told me that, the Modem Mode only works with 5 IP Range.

Please would you be able to shed some light?

cheers
VirginPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 14:05   #104
ccarmock
cf.geek

I think we have learned that in theory modem mode should work, but VM Business won't provide anough information on the tunnel destination address to configure it on a router sitting behind the superhub.

So in reality I'd suggest that the only way to use the business service in modem only mode, with the information we have, is when no static IP addresses are used. As, in effect, it is then the same as a residential service.

if you need to have the public routable IP address on the Draytek, then you need the routed subnet option and can then configure a static public address on the Draytek's WAN port. In this mode the Superhub does not perform NAT.
Old 30-03-2015, 17:55   #105
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

As ccarmock says, if you want the DrayTek to do the heavy lifting work, you're best off getting the 5 IP option. We use it on a superhub with 3 routers and it's fine.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote