Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

Old 20-10-2015, 14:00   #226
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

Can you please explain if this stable config is using the fixed IP subnet (L2TP tunnel) enabled and if so where is the setting to disable NAT - I cannot see it.

BTW one reason I was given that some users do and others do not see problems depends upon the router they are using. If that router sends out test pings to check the connection then it seems you are more likely to have lockups.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2015, 14:29   #227
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, routed subnets kill nat anyway. We've been using one for about a year with few issues.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 16:08   #228
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

I am confused - is there a specific setting to switch off NAT when using the subnet option, which might make it more reliable.

I am pretty sure there is still some level of NAT going on, because if you plug a laptop into one of the spare ports on the Superhub, with the PC set to get its settings by DHCP, it will connect to the internet, with an IP address outside of the fixed subnet - I believe with a private address.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 16:37   #229
rhyds
Inactive

rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

I've never spotted that happening on our install.
Old 20-10-2015, 23:52   #230
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post
Can you please explain if this stable config is using the fixed IP subnet (L2TP tunnel) enabled and if so where is the setting to disable NAT - I cannot see it.

BTW one reason I was given that some users do and others do not see problems depends upon the router they are using. If that router sends out test pings to check the connection then it seems you are more likely to have lockups.
Yes, for me a stable config is the Business 50 Mb/s service with routed subnet.
When configured for a routed subnet NAT is disabled automatically - you do not have to do that explicitly.

The router I have behind this is a Cisco 897VAW
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 17:11   #231
sparkies
Inactive

sparkies is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post

damn Quantum Mechanics... Heisenberg was right, as long as you don't look it works. ;-)

We are currently experiencing this problem. We are letting our (draytek 2920) router PING the virgin name server 194.168.4.123 to determine if the connection is up and switch to an ADSL connection if it isn't. Unfortunately this will only give us a lifetime of a few hours, and it looks like in the afternoon things are much much worse.. also, any upload traffic seems to make the connection fail sooner.
sparkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 19:02   #232
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Is the ping the only dual WAN method for the 2939?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 00:00   #233
sparkies
Inactive

you can also use ARP detection.. but that is even less stable.
Old 23-10-2015, 16:51   #234
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I thought that failover between WAN ports was automatic and nothing had to be done on the 2920.

Old 23-10-2015, 22:46   #235
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Only automatic if the physical port goes down. Otherwise need some way to do IP SLA tracking.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 06:52   #236
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

No wonder the Draytek 2920 User Guide is utterly silent on Dual Wan except in the title of that guide!

Old 24-10-2015, 11:45   #237
sparkies
Inactive

not sure what other routers offer, but the 2920 has loads of configuration options with respect of the dual wan, load balance, failover, scheduled etc. you can also have a 3g mobile (via usb dongle) backup.

in our case we seem to be homing in on the problem, and it looks like its the actual cable between the router and the virgin media box that was at fault.
Old 24-10-2015, 16:56   #238
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
No wonder the Draytek 2920 User Guide is utterly silent on Dual Wan except in the title of that guide!
My experience with Draytek stuff hasn't been great

We did a firmware upgrade on our 3900 the other week and it suddenly ignored every firewall rule we had set up. No clue why. Just had to revert to an older revision.

I'm currently looking to replace it with Unifi stuff.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 15:27   #239
nickgoldman
Inactive

nickgoldman is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently had our hub replaced as it was regularly loosing settings. The replacement hub was working for about 12 hours and since then we haven't had any connection.
I noticed that under advanced>network status the wan IP is now a random IP address. Previously this was the gateway IP address set in the static IP section. Please can someone confirm that this is the situation on their hub(I.e. The wan IP being one of their own range)?

Virgin our blaming our equipment and refusing to send an engineer. I am unable to even access the router remotely on port 8080( as I previously was). Virgin are telling me this is unsupported even though they had sent me instructions on how to do it. The fact that I can't ping the gateway IP or access the web interface externally is telling me the fault is not with our equipment and are VMB are not willing to accept that there is a fault as there tests come back fine. I believe that as the gateway IP is not taking effect in the superhub and we cannot access the Internet as our router is trying to point to a gateway that doesn't exist.
nickgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 15:58   #240
rhyds
Inactive

The WAN IP should be the router IP for your range I think.

My first port of call would be to check your business username, password and IP range are set up properly on the superhub.