Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

Old 01-10-2015, 14:06   #211
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneNutter View Post
I have since given up asking.
Truth be told it's a lot harder for VM to offer true business-grade quality of service over the consumer DOCSIS infrastructure so ultimately that entire range of products is not a priority for them.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2015, 12:10   #212
FGUK
Inactive

FGUK is an unknown quantity at this point

We too switched to 152Mb and a superhub 2 mid last year, having given up with the 50Mb (un)reliability problems. We haven't changed IP since either, and we have had reason to reboot the router a couple of times. However we are using a DDNS service which works well enough.

We do though run multiple internet connections, so we don't have to rely on it for important VPN or remote access.

I would say though, looking forward to BT infinity for its reliability and business grade service.
FGUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 21:46   #213
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I've got to say that our business 50 meg in modem mode, installed in July hasn't glitched once.

I think Qasi is right in his point about true business grade QoS - which is why they pitch this consumer grade service at SMEs where QoS over residential users plus a fix SLA is all that's needed.

Btw, our business is by no means SME. It's just that the particular service we have bought exactly fits the limited purpose of our requirement. We have leased fibre lines (not VM) for corporate traffic.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 22:23   #214
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think Qasi is right in his point about true business grade QoS - which is why they pitch this consumer grade service at SMEs where QoS over residential users plus a fix SLA is all that's needed.
Business doesn't have priority over residential users just FYI. Free for all
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 23:14   #215
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Just like Seph I have the business 50 Mb/s service on the old SH1 - not in modem mode but in routed IP subnet/No NAT mode. Again rock solid stable.

I wonder if it's the luck of the draw here, or is there a theme - modem mode is Ok - turns off some of the functionality of the device. Also when not performing NAT and the Firewall is off - again seems, at least in my case, stable.

Given the business firmware is a fork off quite an old version of the standard firmware I suspect many of the bugs that were ironed out even in the SH1 are still in this version.

Dare I ask - anyone got any news of either a new Business device to properly support fixed IP options on faster speeds than 50 Mb/s? Or if the issue of performance of the PPP/L2TP tunnels at the higher speeds is close to resolution?

There have been a few hints of November..... and last I heard from sales was 'imminent'

My experience of business support has been good. The new times I've needed them for the line issue they have been very good. In fact the engineered that answers the phone will usually login to the CMTS and troubleshoot without there and then.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 18:57   #216
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Business doesn't have priority over residential users just FYI. Free for all
But presumably do they do get better SLAs and such?

I know when I was on outage, issues would get raised to a P1 if a single business customer was offline (versus like 3 for a residential outage or something).
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 21:58   #217
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
But presumably do they do get better SLAs and such?

I know when I was on outage, issues would get raised to a P1 if a single business customer was offline (versus like 3 for a residential outage or something).
Yes my experience is the fix SLA is better - they aim for a 24 hour fix. I have had a re-segmentation done in a week here when utilisation was poor. I was sent before & after graphs of the CMTS monitoring they do also.

So yes definitely repair SLA is significantly higher than residential.

The thing that now lags is the higher speeds with fixed IP option.
Old 16-10-2015, 13:13   #218
ccarmock
cf.geek

I spoke to VMB sales again today about fixed IP options. They now have a firm date for the new service which was quoted as 2nd February 2016 and will be across three new speed options - 100 Mb/s, 200 Mb/s and 300 Mb/s
Old 16-10-2015, 14:16   #219
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

eeeeenteresting
Old 16-10-2015, 14:39   #220
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

75-150-300 made more sense to me, but then again, I should have known better than to believe VM marketing would ever make sense.
Old 16-10-2015, 14:40   #221
Kushan

I think it's fair to say 300 is coming and to be honest, I'd rather they held off and fixed the congestion issues first.
Old 16-10-2015, 15:14   #222
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

What congestion? Congestion on VM is a myth, what with their "magic" next-gen fibre optic and all. It's all your wireless' fault.
Old 19-10-2015, 17:48   #223
sparkies
Inactive

sparkies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

read with interest (most of) this thread.. can't believe that Virgin knows about this problem and hasn't sorted it yet. We just got a 50/5 cable connection and have run into this problem where the superhub becomes unresponsive and you have to powercycle the superhub to continue.

When we signed up with Virgin business we requested 5 static ip addresses. They sent us a word document describing how to configure things. The document does not mention the modem mode but it does give you the PPP username/password which is strange..

Anyways, following the advice here I have now tried to switched our cable modem to "modem mode" but when our router tries to dial up I get a "no response from host"..

This is with a DrayTek Vigor 2920 which should handle this fine I would think?

Anybody got suggestions for what to do?

Thanks,

Andres
sparkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 18:10   #224
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

All I can say to sparkies is that our VMB Superhub is in modem mode with a Draytek 2930 and has been 100% up since end of July.

I hope you've done things in the right order:

1. Put the SH into modem mode;

2. Connect the Draytek to the bottom Ethernet port

3. Ensure Draytek is set up correctly (Draytek web site has this)

4. Power off SH; power off Draytek.

5. Power on Draytek first;

6. Power on SH next.

Should work then.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 22:45   #225
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkies View Post
Hi there,

read with interest (most of) this thread.. can't believe that Virgin knows about this problem and hasn't sorted it yet. We just got a 50/5 cable connection and have run into this problem where the superhub becomes unresponsive and you have to powercycle the superhub to continue.

When we signed up with Virgin business we requested 5 static ip addresses. They sent us a word document describing how to configure things. The document does not mention the modem mode but it does give you the PPP username/password which is strange..

Anyways, following the advice here I have now tried to switched our cable modem to "modem mode" but when our router tries to dial up I get a "no response from host"..

This is with a DrayTek Vigor 2920 which should handle this fine I would think?

Anybody got suggestions for what to do?

Thanks,

Andres

Unfortunately the fixed IP subnet option that you have is not compatible with modem mode. However with that option (which I also have) the superhub NAT feature is disabled. I have found this to be a stable config.