Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

Old 06-08-2015, 13:11   #196
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post
Probably not if their router is automatically setting up a tunnel into their own network as the modem will then be accessible via the tunnel as a local device.

One frustration for those of us who need the fixed IPs is that VM have not released and do not support/allow us to set the SH in modem mode and let our own routers negotiate the L2TP tunnel to their server, thus taking the flakely firmware out of the equation!
Indeed, which is why I've suggested a few times people can buy the service separately (i.e. like Seph has done) or set up their own tunnel, thus giving themselves complete control and bypassing VM's shoddy fixed-IP infrastructure completely.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2015, 14:42   #197
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

I still genuinely have no idea why they aren't just doing it via PPPoE with L2TP from CMTS functioning as a LAC to LNS. Seems nuts to have L2TP tunnels for each and every business client with no intermediate concentrator and the issues are clearly demonstrated here.

Presumably there's some caveat with the CMTS operating systems that prevent it, as I cannot think of any other reason. Certainly the one time such services were run on the legacy DOCSIS 1.0 platform it was via this method.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 18:10   #198
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post
Probably not if their router is automatically setting up a tunnel into their own network as the modem will then be accessible via the tunnel as a local device.

One frustration for those of us who need the fixed IPs is that VM have not released and do not support/allow us to set the SH in modem mode and let our own routers negotiate the L2TP tunnel to their server, thus taking the flakely firmware out of the equation!
So what happens if for any reason the IP address issued by DHCP to the modem changes as can happen? The tunnel has been disrupted and cannot be re-established because the IP address has changed.

Or what have I misunderstood? Remember, I'm seeking guidance as to whether I should be telling our ISP to put the SH back into router mode.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 22:20   #199
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

is there any news if the PPP issue causing poor performance at higher speeds with the network side equipment has been resolved?

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
So what happens if for any reason the IP address issued by DHCP to the modem changes as can happen? The tunnel has been disrupted and cannot be re-established because the IP address has changed.

Or what have I misunderstood? Remember, I'm seeking guidance as to whether I should be telling our ISP to put the SH back into router mode.
The DHCP address of the device appears to be of the older form of 'sticky' IP addresses with reverse DNS entries of the form of static.virginmedia.net

However if that address does change once the tunnel is re-established, which it seems to do just fine if disrupted then the same fixed IP address(s) will be provided to the Superhub A change of the superhubs DHCP assigned address won't prevent the tunnel being re-established.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:00   #200
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Why on earth would you think that?

The whole point of a tunnel is so it can be established from any IP address.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 12:23   #201
pcfarrar
Inactive

pcfarrar is an unknown quantity at this point

Still getting Superhub crashes on one of our 50MB lines, really thought they would have fixed this by now...
pcfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 21:15   #202
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

do you have a FIXED IP subnet service? I hear there is beta firmware but only if you have single fixed IP or dynamic
Old 25-09-2015, 06:59   #203
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Still getting the same problem here with the multiple IP option. We loose the connection 1-2 times per week and have to reboot.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 08:08   #204
pcfarrar
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
do you have a FIXED IP subnet service? I hear there is beta firmware but only if you have single fixed IP or dynamic
The one I have that crashes is a single fixed IP. I guess its not easy to get the beta firmware installed by Virgin?
This problem has been going on for nearly a year now for me....
Old 25-09-2015, 21:21   #205
ccarmock
cf.geek

From what I gather this is the situation that they have a beta version of the business firmware for. I'll drop you a PM with my contact there that you could ask
Old 29-09-2015, 09:06   #206
pcfarrar
Inactive

Quote:
From what I gather this is the situation that they have a beta version of the business firmware for. I'll drop you a PM with my contact there that you could ask
Thanks got the contact details but no reply from Carl so far...
Old 29-09-2015, 14:54   #207
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfarrar View Post
Thanks got the contact details but no reply from Carl so far...

They are not communicating well over this. As an alternative suggest log a support call asking for the beta firmware.

The business service is being left behind again.
Old 29-09-2015, 19:02   #208
Fedu2015
Inactive

Fedu2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any news on when the firmware for the multiple fixed IP option or a beta will be available?
Fedu2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 21:41   #209
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedu2015 View Post
Any news on when the firmware for the multiple fixed IP option or a beta will be available?

I am waiting for that too. I contacted VM B sales about it yesterday and was told - information isn't easy to come by. They don't have a date yet, but to try again in a couple of weeks.

A while back November was hinted.

I have also heard that we're unlikely to see new firmware for the SH2AC to support this, and there could be a totally new device (maybe the same one that is being trialled for residential customers)

I have offered several times to be a beta tester but all my contact at VMB have gone into radio silence, not even replying to emails now.

If November is a possible date (and I am doubtful) it will then be a year since the 152 Mb/s service was offered by VMB without a fixed IP offering.

Does anyone here have any info on this?
Old 30-09-2015, 07:31   #210
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If November is a possible date (and I am doubtful) it will then be a year since the 152 Mb/s service was offered by VMB without a fixed IP offering
I'm still pretty shocked the 50 Mb/s issues with multiple IP's are still present almost a year later!

I certainly made the correct decision going to 152 Mb/s without a static IP, thankfully despite not been a static IP our IP address hasn't actually changed since we got it in November last year.

I know not everyone could do that, however for remote web access / remote desktop its worked well enough for us.

Very shocked to hear this is still ongoing...

I was promised a static IP on 152 Mb/s last December, then January, then April. I have since given up asking.
InsaneNutter is offline   Reply With Quote