Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pay frozen for third year running

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Pay frozen for third year running

Old 07-03-2012, 09:48   #211
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Pay frozen for third year running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
One is legal and one is not, but both are 100% wrong and immoral.
They most certainly are not .Am i not allowed to deduct work related expenses so i am only taxed on net income ,the same as PAYE employees or do you propose that i am taxed on gross income
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55   #212
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
They most certainly are not .Am i not allowed to deduct work related expenses so i am only taxed on net income ,the same as PAYE employees or do you propose that i am taxed on gross income
In times like these, we need to tax gross as well as net income, also I agree for a mansion tax, but we should keep the 50p tax rate (in not increase it)
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:11   #213
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
In times like these, we need to tax gross as well as net income, also I agree for a mansion tax, but we should keep the 50p tax rate (in not increase it)
Are you serious ,the unemployment that would create doesn't bear thinking about.Companies would go bancrupt overnight .
Old 07-03-2012, 10:14   #214
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
One is legal and one is not, but both are 100% wrong and immoral.
Are you paying into a pension?

Do you have any ISAs?

Do you claim tax relief on any expenses incurred whilst working?

Do you buy Duty-Free goods whilst outside the EU?

If anyone in your family died recently, did you use the inheritance tax allowance?

You appear to be confusing your personal views on morality with the law - luckily, they are not the same.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:18   #215
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Do you have any ISAs?

If anyone in your family died recently, did you use the inheritance tax allowance?

You appear to be confusing your personal views on morality with the law - luckily, they are not the same.
The only thing on that list is pay into a pension

Last time I checked. my business (or myself) is not based in a tax haven and I pay my taxes

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

Quote:
Are you serious ,the unemployment that would create doesn't bear thinking about.Companies would go bancrupt overnight .
Or they will have to get used to it, it is about time the era of the rich "never having it so good" ended
Old 07-03-2012, 10:18   #216
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
The only thing on that list is pay into a pension

Last time I checked. my business (or myself) is not based in a tax haven and I pay my taxes
Do you pay yourself (or your family) dividends from the business?

So you run a business, but do not claim back appropriate expenses incurred? Very unusual....
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19   #217
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Do you pay yourself (or your family) dividends from the business?
I am not self employed, I work in the transport industry
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21   #218
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification.

Isn't the 40% relief you are not paying on your pension contributions avoiding paying tax?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:32   #219
martyh

Quote:

Do you have any ISAs?

If he works then there will be a tax threshold ,(this bits for Alans benefit)the amount he is allowed to earn before paying tax,currently around 8k i believe ,that is also a type of avoidance as are the different tax bands ,20% ,40% and 50% .He has not even considered the hardship this would cause in his ridiculous statement that we should all pay tax on gross earnings

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Quote:
So you will be aware that the company you work for will deduct fuel reciepts before arriving at a figure for profit to be taxed and without doing this the company you work for would almost certainly go into liquidation
Old 07-03-2012, 10:49   #220
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
If he works then there will be a tax threshold ,(this bits for Alans benefit)the amount he is allowed to earn before paying tax,currently around 8k i believe ,that is also a type of avoidance as are the different tax bands ,20% ,40% and 50% .He has not even considered the hardship this would cause in his ridiculous statement that we should all pay tax on gross earnings

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

So you will be aware that the company you work for will deduct fuel reciepts before arriving at a figure for profit to be taxed and without doing this the company you work for would almost certainly go into liquidation
Companies can and will survive paying more tax, the era of the rich having a good time should end
Old 07-03-2012, 10:57   #221
martyh

Quote:
Companies can and will survive paying more tax, the era of the rich having a good time should end
If a company pays more in tax then usually they have a increase of profit ,that's how the system works ,for a company to pay more tax without earning the profit means they will inevitably make less money so may have to lower wages or lose workers .You may want to research the difference between a companies turnover and profit
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08   #222
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
If a company pays more in tax then usually they have a increase of profit ,that's how the system works ,for a company to pay more tax without earning the profit means they will inevitably make less money so may have to lower wages or lose workers .You may want to research the difference between a companies turnover and profit
What I am talking about is taxing more of their profits, they can manage with less profits
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19   #223
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I have an idea which will require no law changes at all. How about the Likes of Alan Fry who so clearly dislike wealth/profits and empathise so much for the poor, stop taking advantage of any tax avoiding measures/reliefs and start donating all their excess income to the sort of causes they bang on about. Being the very senior manager he is (in charge of 1000s of by all accounts), our Mr Fry must be doing very nicely thank you and must therefore feel genuinely upset about how well off he is compared to so many here and around the globe. I therefore suggest he (and any like him who support his views) donates anything he's ever inadvertently* avoided by way of tax and any income over the UK average wage (unless he feels really charitable and wants to give more) to charity. No need to wait for a world government to be formed or even wheels within wheels to turn and new tax rules be drafted. This way he'll be setting the rest of us a wonderful example and be able to carry on his moral and political crusade free of any moral burden that he's part of the problem he spends so much of his life whingeing about. He could even post the details of what he's done here so that he might encourage others to do likewise.....

* I'm certain Mr Fry would never have deliberately avoided tax as that would seem more than a tad hypocritical.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31   #224
martyh

Quote:
What I am talking about is taxing more of their profits, they can manage with less profits
How can you possibly know that ,what about future investment ?

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I have an idea which will require no law changes at all. How about the Likes of Alan Fry who so clearly dislike wealth/profits and empathise so much for the poor, stop taking advantage of any tax avoiding measures and start donating all their excess income to the sort of causes they bang on about. Being the very senior manager he is (in charge of 1000s of by all accounts), our Mr Fry must be doing very nicely thank you and must therefore feel genuinely upset about how well off he is compared to so many here and around the globe. I therefore suggest he (and any like him who support his views) donates anything he's ever inadvertently* avoided by way of tax and any income over the UK average wage (unless he feels really charitable and wants to give more) to charity. No need to wait for a world government to be formed or even wheels within wheels to turn and new tax rules be drafted. This way he'll be setting the rest of us a wonderful example and be able to carry on his moral and political crusade free of any moral burden that he's part of the problem he spends so much of his life whingeing about. He could even post the details of what he's done here so that he might encourage others to do likewise.....

* I'm certain Mr Fry would never have deliberately avoided tax as that would seem more than a tad hypocritical.
I await that thread in eager anticipation
Old 07-03-2012, 11:32   #225
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

.... and what happens when they're not making any or enough profits to meet their ongoing pension obligations?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote