Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Old 14-03-2012, 12:30   #121
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
That's too much hassle though! I got Tivo to make my life easier like Sky+ did (or to be exact...I got Tivo to make my life easier than what Sky+ did).

I can't remember if shows actually got deleted. I think I saved them before they did. It says stuff like 'it'll be deleted within 3 days'. That's stuff I haven't watched yet.

before reading this I changed most of them to "keep all"...apart from Sky Sports News. When I record from 7am to 8am every morning. As that's the show with all yesterday's highlights and newspaper review. I don't watch it every day so I'm trialing it to keep max 3 at a time.

Thanks for the tip

No, that's complicated.

I want to record shows and my box to delete shows I've already watched to make space for new show (like my Sky+). And the "keep until I delete" feature to be used for recordings I want to keep forever or for a length of time.

ps, I finally was able to sign into one of my youtube account I don't know what the problem was.
One thing that the Tivo does need on the next update (something sky boxes don't do), is for it to tell you which programs you have viewed.

With the sky box you can attempt to record something, and it will tell you that there isn't enough space. So you then have to go to all your recorded programs and start deleting them, which can be a ball ache if you are in a hurry.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 19:20   #122
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
One thing that the Tivo does need on the next update (something sky boxes don't do), is for it to tell you which programs you have viewed.

With the sky box you can attempt to record something, and it will tell you that there isn't enough space. So you then have to go to all your recorded programs and start deleting them, which can be a ball ache if you are in a hurry.
Or just delete the ones you don't want to keep when you've finished watching them.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 19:54   #123
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Mine does , it says either recorded or viewed

Quote:
That is incorrect with the automatic option selected your box will first delete recordings that have already been watched followed by the oldest unwatched programmes , programmes marked with keep will never be deleted without your confirmation.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:52   #124
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Or just delete the ones you don't want to keep when you've finished watching them.
Are you talking about Sky or Tivo? Because the Tivo gives you that option when you press stop.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Mine does , it says either recorded or viewed
You need to read what I said again. The Tivo doesn't tell you if you have viewed it.

What I was talking about when I said the Sky box doesn't do it, was the software updates that you get with the Tivo.

Quote:
That is incorrect with the automatic option selected your box will first delete recordings that have already been watched followed by the oldest unwatched programmes , programmes marked with keep will never be deleted without your confirmation.
I had a sky box for many years and it never did that, and I have never seen the option to do that. All it would say was that there isn't enough space to record something.
Old 14-03-2012, 20:59   #125
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I had a sky box for many years and it never did that, and I have never seen the option to do that. All it would say was that there isn't enough space to record something.
The manual must be wrong then yours was obviously set to Manual
Step 3 http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky...ner/index.html

Quote:
You need to read what I said again. The Tivo doesn't tell you if you have viewed it.

What I was talking about when I said the Sky box doesn't do it, was the software updates that you get with the Tivo.
So you were meaning the Sky box doesn't update it does
Old 14-03-2012, 20:59   #126
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Are you talking about Sky or Tivo? Because the Tivo gives you that option when you press stop.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------
Tivo, but the method applies to any box surely. I watch then delete the ones that I don't want to keep.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 21:30   #127
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The manual must be wrong then yours was obviously set to Manual
Or mine was an older version than yours.

Quote:
So you were meaning the Sky box doesn't update it does
They don't do updates to the features. Probably because with Sky you own the box, so they want you to buy a newer updated model. Rather than with Tivo, where you don't own the box, so it makes sense for VM to update features.

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Tivo, but the method applies to any box surely. I watch then delete the ones that I don't want to keep.
It's only with the tivo that it prompts you to either keep or delete when you press stop.
Old 14-03-2012, 21:32   #128
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

The thing I disliked about Sky+ was that it would say viewed even if you'd just watched the first minute or two. I don't think a show has been viewed until it's been played back until close to the end. That said, Tivo doesn't even do that. I will often watch show's in two or more sittings and would welcome some at a glance way of knowing how far through a program I am as it would mean I could sit down knowing I had, say, half an hour, and quickly work out what I could best use that time to watch.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 21:44   #129
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
The thing I disliked about Sky+ was that it would say viewed even if you'd just watched the first minute or two. I don't think a show has been viewed until it's been played back until close to the end. That said, Tivo doesn't even do that. I will often watch show's in two or more sittings and would welcome some at a glance way of knowing how far through a program I am as it would mean I could sit down knowing I had, say, half an hour, and quickly work out what I could best use that time to watch.
I fully agree. It would be a good feature to add on the next update.
Old 14-03-2012, 21:54   #130
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Or mine was an older version than yours.

They don't do updates to the features.
Anytime , Anytime+ , red button match choice , Sky Sports F1 advanced red button , new EPG to come , other future features iplayer , itv player , shared planner , I'm pretty sure every STB including TIVO and Sky+HD out there updates its features periodically.
Old 14-03-2012, 22:21   #131
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
Yeah like the v + HD box did it would say viewed or partial viewed I hope that comes in an update to TiVO.
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 22:25   #132
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Anytime , Anytime+ , red button match choice , Sky Sports F1 advanced red button , new EPG to come , other future features iplayer , itv player , shared planner , I'm pretty sure every STB including TIVO and Sky+HD out there updates its features periodically.
Ok maybe I worded it wrong. They add things that are part of channel packages. But they don't change the basic controls of the box. With Tivo they do.
Old 15-03-2012, 19:20   #133
thunderlips
Inactive

Services: XL TIVO, 200 MEG BB, PHONE , 4 MOBILES
thunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of light

my package cost, £76.40 with price rise = £79.90, just called virgin up, got a tivo box new price per month =£82.90, free installation free activation ! result= very happy !
thunderlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 19:37   #134
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

What is your package if you don't mind sharing?
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 19:41   #135
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
What is your package if you don't mind sharing?
Looks like he has gone off line. But I presume his package is what it says under his avtar (unless that is out of date).