Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Old 11-03-2012, 11:50   #106
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Try and look at the post I quoted were Andy asked what is a bookmark Andy was asking Bentex as he'd mentioned it being available on Sky.
So why don't you highlight the bit that you are referring to?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2012, 12:38   #107
Bentex
Inactive

Services: Tivo (M+), BB (L), Phone (M)
Bentex is on a distinguished roadBentex is on a distinguished road

Ok...no bookmarks (which I always used with sky)....and no way to turn off the fast-forward thingy. Thanks for that guys.

Any advice on signing into youtube?

Also one more thing that I have noticed. Recordings are being deleted before I watched them. With Sky+ recordings would be deleted from recordings I have already watched to make space. Is there anyway to have that as a default setting? Sometimes I don't watch a movie until 6 weeks later. Not going to do me much good if they get deleted within a week!
Bentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 13:05   #108
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

You can't change the default, which is delete when space needed, but you can manually set record and series links options with different options, and you also change the keep until setting of a program that's already been recorded by pressing OK rather than play on a show highlighted in my shows and going from there.

And of course, if you forget to do that you can normally recover a recently deleted show.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 14:06   #109
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
That's not actually what andy was talking about.

With the Tivo, if you are lets say fast forwarding through the adverts, but you over run into the program, it goes back a few seconds. This is a brilliant feature, and saves shuffling backwards and forwards, like I used to have to do with Sky.

This would be a really good update for Sky to introduce.
It's patented to TiVo, Sky can't use it.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 16:08   #110
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Speaking about Boxes. I reduced my package a few years ago to save some money. I still have L broadband Phone & only the Medium TV. I still have my V+ box but it is not switched on for on demand etc. When I asked to have it restarted I was informed I would have to up-grade to L TV. Is this correct? Any Advice
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 16:33   #111
Majordude
Inactive

Majordude is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

With the Tivo, if you are lets say fast forwarding through the adverts, but you over run into the program, it goes back a few seconds. This is a brilliant feature, and saves shuffling backwards and forwards, like I used to have to do with Sky.
Seconded.

I think this is the USP for TiVo and always has been
Majordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 18:49   #112
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
Any advice on signing into youtube?
As you've already noticed, there are two YouTube applications at the moment. One you can sign into, and the other that supports HD. Pick whichever best meets your requirement at the time.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:32   #113
Bentex
Inactive

I also said no matter which account I use (i have many)... i can't log in (to the app with the sign in feature). Is it currently working for you?

---------- Post added at 08:32 ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
You can't change the default, which is delete when space needed, but you can manually set record and series links options with different options, and you also change the keep until setting of a program that's already been recorded by pressing OK rather than play on a show highlighted in my shows and going from there.

And of course, if you forget to do that you can normally recover a recently deleted show.

This really sucks! I'm considering getting rid of the damn thing now!!!

it's also bull as it says "until space is needed"...I have 70& storage left. I know you can recover shows but it's annoying and you may even forget that you recorded it and it gets deleted without you knowing. What then??
For years I just recorded stuff and when I had free time I would look at my recordings and watch what I want depending on my mood.

Already considering going back to sky...

or freesat with a Humax box (for the Iplayer and net player).
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18   #114
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Has it actually deleted anything yet, or just shown you the hour glass logo and told you it will be deleted soon? My experience if it has been that it's been quick to warn but slow to act. In fact, I've only really encountered issues when I've tried to interfere, once I learnt to let go and allow the box to manage itself it's been fine.

That said, user defined defaults are still at the top of my wish list for future updates.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

My advice until that's been implemented would be to ignore express series link and set all your recording options individually for each program.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31   #115
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Recordings are being deleted before I watched them.
Go into Home -> My Shows & Recordings -> Recording Hiccups and see it it says why they were deleted.

Is it a series or WishList that you have "Keep at most" set on?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48   #116
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Has it actually deleted anything yet, or just shown you the hour glass logo and told you it will be deleted soon?
Just wanted to say that I have Tivo for over a year now and, although it has only ever reach around 70% full, and I have had the hour-glass appear on shows on a number of occasions*, I have yet to have anything actually be automatically deleted.

(*Here's a tip for you; which I found out completely by accident. If you're getting the hour-glass on some programmes, re-boot the box and they will disappear.)

Also, the wording is wrong. "will be deleted" should read "may be deleted". Far less worrying
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52   #117
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Just wanted to say that I have Tivo for over a year now and, although it has only ever reach around 70% full, and I have had the hour-glass appear on shows on a number of occasions*, I have yet to have anything actually be automatically deleted.

(*Here's a tip for you; which I found out completely by accident. If you're getting the hour-glass on some programmes, re-boot the box and they will disappear.)

Also, the wording is wrong. "will be deleted" should read "may be deleted". Far less worrying
To be honest I've got a 1tb box because I wanted the best box they had and I managed to talk them out of the extra £49 fee, but it's become quite apparent that I don't need the storage space, and I rarely get above the high 30's in percentage terms (although this does of course mean I have loads of room for suggestions, and unlike some I think they're brilliant - like having an extra on demand library with currently close to 400 shows available). Despite this I also get the hour glass appear from time to time. I did wonder whether this might be partly that the box is aware of how much it will have to record in the next two weeks and is working out that it might need more space in the unlikely event that none of what's already been recorded will be watched and deleted???
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57   #118
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I did wonder whether this might be partly that the box is aware of how much it will have to record in the next two weeks and is working out that it might need more space in the unlikely event that none of what's already been recorded will be watched and deleted???
Yes. I think that is almost certainly - at least partly - the answer.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:51   #119
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
It's patented to TiVo, Sky can't use it.
Really??

I wouldn't have thought that they would accept a patent on something like that. Well Sky missed the boat on that one then.

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Quote:
This really sucks! I'm considering getting rid of the damn thing now!!!

it's also bull as it says "until space is needed"...I have 70& storage left. I know you can recover shows but it's annoying and you may even forget that you recorded it and it gets deleted without you knowing. What then??
For years I just recorded stuff and when I had free time I would look at my recordings and watch what I want depending on my mood.

Already considering going back to sky...

or freesat with a Humax box (for the Iplayer and net player).
It's quite simple. When you have recorded something that you want to keep, just select the option to keep until you delete
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 03:24   #120
Bentex
Inactive

Quote:
Has it actually deleted anything yet, or just shown you the hour glass logo and told you it will be deleted soon? My experience if it has been that it's been quick to warn but slow to act. In fact, I've only really encountered issues when I've tried to interfere, once I learnt to let go and allow the box to manage itself it's been fine.

That said, user defined defaults are still at the top of my wish list for future updates.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

My advice until that's been implemented would be to ignore express series link and set all your recording options individually for each program.

That's too much hassle though! I got Tivo to make my life easier like Sky+ did (or to be exact...I got Tivo to make my life easier than what Sky+ did).

I can't remember if shows actually got deleted. I think I saved them before they did. It says stuff like 'it'll be deleted within 3 days'. That's stuff I haven't watched yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Go into Home -> My Shows & Recordings -> Recording Hiccups and see it it says why they were deleted.

Is it a series or WishList that you have "Keep at most" set on?
before reading this I changed most of them to "keep all"...apart from Sky Sports News. When I record from 7am to 8am every morning. As that's the show with all yesterday's highlights and newspaper review. I don't watch it every day so I'm trialing it to keep max 3 at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post

Thanks for the tip

Quote:
It's quite simple. When you have recorded something that you want to keep, just select the option to keep until you delete
No, that's complicated.

I want to record shows and my box to delete shows I've already watched to make space for new show (like my Sky+). And the "keep until I delete" feature to be used for recordings I want to keep forever or for a length of time.

ps, I finally was able to sign into one of my youtube account I don't know what the problem was.