Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Old 16-02-2012, 11:16   #91
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Can you see if there is a pilot on board Itshim.
Think its a one pig plane, but a 3 saddle backs followed by the big bad wolf can be seen over the channel heading for Swansea I think.
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2012, 11:34   #92
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
It's just Devils' sence of humour, Tim
You know me too well mate
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 16:23   #93
Bentex
Inactive

Services: Tivo (M+), BB (L), Phone (M)
Bentex is on a distinguished roadBentex is on a distinguished road

Well I finally got my Tivo installed today. Took over 30mins to download some software LOL!.

I had Tivo 10+ years ago with sky so I'm familiar with it. The menu is very similar to the old style. So far my concerns about speed in changing channels and go through the menus has eased. It looks pretty fast so far.

Quality of the picture and audio are both fine.

Tried the youtube app...watched a few videos. This looks like an exellent addition.

Tried to catch up shows Live with Gabby and Idiot abroad. Played both fine...was able to fast forward and skip through them with easy. Picture quality was again very good. Better than my old V+HD box with catch up.

These are only first impressions. I will have questions later! )) also more reviews
Bentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 16:56   #94
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
Well I finally got my Tivo installed today. Took over 30mins to download some software LOL!.

I had Tivo 10+ years ago with sky so I'm familiar with it. The menu is very similar to the old style. So far my concerns about speed in changing channels and go through the menus has eased. It looks pretty fast so far.

Tried the youtube app...watched a few videos. This looks like an exellent addition.

Tried to catch up shows Live with Gabby and Idiot abroad. Played both fine...was able to fast forward and skip through them with easy. Picture quality was again very good. Better than my old V+HD box with catch up.

These are only first impressions. I will have questions later! )) also more reviews
And the really clever bit is the way it records programs that are similar to the ones you normally choose. Then puts them in your suggestions.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:44   #95
Bentex
Inactive

Services: Tivo (M+), BB (L), Phone (M)
Bentex is on a distinguished roadBentex is on a distinguished road

I have a major problem signing into my youtube accounts. Does anyone also have that problem? One app has the option, the other doesn't. I've been using it a lot recently and it would be nice to have my faves all in one place! I have many youtube accounts and I can log into all of them with my pc and laptop. But impossible with Tivo!

I'm really surprised by Tivo! I heard it was buggy and a lot of people are unhappy. But I only have two complaints so far. One of course is signing into youtube the other is there is not a bookmark feature like on Sky+. Or a least I don't find it yet??

Menu navigation and channel changing is fast enough. Although Sky+HD beats it by miles.

Just wondering, when fastforwarding and you press play it doesn't stop and that moment on Tivo, while on Sky and other PVRs I have and used do. Is that a feature? Can it be turned off??

I've not had any smart suggestions yet!! But every time I look over and see 3 red recording lights on I feel glad I'm getting my money's worth

Last but not least, the last two early morning 'catch up' is always unavailable. Any reason for this?
Bentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:49   #96
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

What's a bookmark?

The fast forward thing-it snaps back 8 seconds once you press play in case you've gone too far. I think that's really clever because with Sky I was forever going past and having to wind back, but it's not universally loved. I don't know how to turn it off.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:31   #97
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
The fast forward thing-it snaps back 8 seconds once you press play in case you've gone too far. I think that's really clever because with Sky I was forever going past and having to wind back, but it's not universally loved. I don't know how to turn it off.
It can't be turned off.

Which annoyed me to start with as I had it switched off on my original S1 unit as I got very good at just hitting the right spot. I have now got used to using it this way
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11   #98
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post

if u happy,thats all that matters..
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27   #99
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

OK, bookmarks-google is my friend! There is no bookmark function. If you press play on a show highlighted in my shows (the planner) it will start off from where you were last watching it (ie you can watch a program in two or more sittings without having to fast forward from the start each time) unless the last time you watched it you got into the final 2 minutes because then it assumes you're done and if you played it again it would start at the beginning.

So, you can't set multiple bookmarks, but it automatically provides one bookmark if you stop watching a recording before it's finished.

Not sure I've explained that very well?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:31   #100
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What's a bookmark?

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky...ing-bookmarks/
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:12   #101
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That's not actually what andy was talking about.

With the Tivo, if you are lets say fast forwarding through the adverts, but you over run into the program, it goes back a few seconds. This is a brilliant feature, and saves shuffling backwards and forwards, like I used to have to do with Sky.

This would be a really good update for Sky to introduce.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:39   #102
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
That's not actually what andy was talking about.

With the Tivo, if you are lets say fast forwarding through the adverts, but you over run into the program, it goes back a few seconds. This is a brilliant feature, and saves shuffling backwards and forwards, like I used to have to do with Sky.

This would be a really good update for Sky to introduce.
He was asking what a bookmark is , that has nothing to do with what your on about. Personally I'm capable of stopping the box at the desired point now.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:46   #103
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
He was asking what a bookmark is , that has nothing to do with what your on about. Personally I'm capable of stopping the box at the desired point now.
Quote:
Nothing to do with bookmarks!!!

He was talking about a feature on the Tivo, that the Sky box doesn't have.

I think he may have been confused about the original question.

So you are trying to say that on 30x FF you can stop it bang on the end of the adverts??
Old 11-03-2012, 11:47   #104
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Nothing to do with bookmarks!!!

He was talking about a feature on the Tivo, that the Sky box doesn't have.

I think he may have been confused about the original question.

So you are trying to say that on 30x FF you can stop it bang on the end of the adverts??
Try and look at the post I quoted were Andy asked what is a bookmark. Andy was asking Bentex as he'd mentioned it being available on Sky.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:49   #105
andy_m
cf.mega poster

I was covering two different issues raised by the op, bookmarks and the 8 second snap back following a fast forward.