Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 07-08-2005, 22:25   #121
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What are you reading?

They went to the death chamber........very interesting factual book
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2005, 22:28   #122
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Just finished 'The Black Angel' by John Connolly - very good book - little bit strange at times, but it does seem to offer some explanations about why certain things happen to him.

Next up is Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamiltion (best known for the nights dawn trilogy..)
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:42   #123
me283
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze

Just started "The Hiram Key" by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas; it's early days yet, but it's an alternative approach to a topic that greatly interests me.

Read an interesting book last week called "Hateland" by Bernard O'Mahoney; it's fascinating. It tells how someone who was involved in the British Nazi movement changed his opinions completely after becoming great friends with the very people he thought he despised. It is quite brutal in parts as the man is a self confessed former thug; but it also tells the story of someone who had an upbringing that I would never wish on my worst enemy. It is honest, frank, occasionally humorous, and desperately sad at the end. I recommend it.
me283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 14:54   #124
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke.

Dilligaf told me about it in another thread, so I thought that I'd better read it.
It's an excellent little story. I'd recommend virtually all of his works (apart from the later stuff, especially where he started franchising out his name) as quality hard SF.

Or, for some good chuckles, try his "Tales from the White Hart"
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 14:58   #125
me283
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham

Or, for some good chuckles, try his "Tales from the White Hart"
Yep, very good read. Read it a long time back but still it sticks in my mind as a memorable read.
me283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 23:41   #126
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

The Castle of Mirrors by Jenny Nimmo (Children of the Red King IV)

Yes I know it's aimed at children but this is the fourth book in the series and the plot and story line is good. A bit like HP but with loads of relatives both good and bad (and no broomsticks).
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 23:43   #127
clarie
not here

clarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpackclarie has a very nice sixpack

Read a good book recently called 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' by Marina Lewycka. Nice light-hearted, quite fun, quite sad. About to read 'Orientalism' by Edward Said which will neither be light-hearted, nor fun.
clarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2005, 12:42   #128
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

The highway code

Next in line is The doll who ate his mother
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 16:02   #129
atlantis

Just finished re-reading Isaac Asimov's "I Robot" (butchered in the Will Smith film, but heh, what can you expect).
Sadly lots of this guys stuff now out of print, and getting harder to replace moth eaten copies I own.
Old 17-09-2005, 07:51   #130
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Thought I would revive this one...

I've just finished 'Journeys in the dead season'.. has anyone else read it, and if so - can they explain it to me? - more specifically what the epilogue has to do with anything?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 09:06   #131
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Humph! Well I've been reading 'Learning Legal Rules' by Holland & Webb. Great night time reading I can assure you.
Old 17-09-2005, 09:43   #132
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 10:58   #133
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness

Jack higgins - the eagle has landed
Old 17-09-2005, 11:29   #134
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

The Mail
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 11:30   #135
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I've broken out my copy of the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy again (the Hardback edition with all 5 books in it)
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote