Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 29-06-2005, 17:53   #76
kobuskint
Inactive

kobuskint will become famous soon enoughkobuskint will become famous soon enoughkobuskint will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you reading?

A Short History of everything - Bill Bryson

Just an amazing book that covers all the things that I never really got hold of at school and subsequently have wondered about, but never been able to easily find out about.

I will give you examples:

How did the universe begin and what is "out there"?
How did the earth come to be like it is?
What is above and below us
Geology - what's that all about?
What was Einstein on about?
Particle physics. Huh?
How did life and then humans evolve?
Is there life on Mars? Ziggy plays guitar. Isn't it? Wasn't it?

Bryson writes in a way that enables really complicated subjects to be conveyed in just enough detail for you to get a basic handle on the.
How he does it is genius.

If you fancy know a little bit about loans of things. Read this book.
kobuskint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2005, 02:49   #77
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Strata by Terry Pratchett, but to be honest I'm finding it rather difficult to get into. not a slick as his newer material. There seems to be a lot of chopping and changing. Good book though
The thing about Strata and Dark Side of the Sun is that, like with The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, Pterry was very much "finding his feet" with his writing style and developing the concepts that would later appear in the Discworld stories of today. It's interesting spotting precursors of what was to come.

Just read:

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin

Hmm, I'd heard good things about RR, but this one was pretty disappointing.

Ok, he had some nice ideas, but I felt they were rather shoved together without much regard for the whole
Spoiler: 
eg the Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the title appear on the cover, but have really damn all to do with the story

Some of the jokes felt very laboured and occasionally he drops into "unnecessarily crude" mode for a bit for no good reason that I could see apart from to use a rude word or make a dirty joke.

Not very impressive overall.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 09:39   #78
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

The magic cottage, it is a horror story and not bad so far
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 09:42   #79
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

I'm reading the Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown, I expected it to be a bit more challenging but so far it's a bit obvious, hope it improves.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 09:49   #80
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

"Dead Run" PJ Tracy

http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Search/Q...059850,00.html
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 09:53   #81
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I'm just about to start the Da Vinci Code - so I hope it lives up to my expectations.

I'm sure it will be much better than The Night of the Triffids - which I'm reading at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good sequel (I've read it before this is a re-read). But it is a tad predictable and not a patch on the original
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 10:46   #82
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

Services: whats that??
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze age
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze age

Nursing, hopsital and home as I have to scrub up on some of my techniques.
allieyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 10:48   #83
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

The Bourne Identity....and then will carry on to the next two Bourne novels. Thats what I'm going to read on hols.............
Old 30-06-2005, 10:52   #84
Seti
Inactive

Services: Being Nice!
Seti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these parts
Send a message via ICQ to Seti Send a message via MSN to Seti

I'm reading "The Burning Girl" can''t remember who its by and some daft psychology book about how SKinners box was actually a good thing to happen !!

YES ok I am strange !
Seti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 10:55   #85
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
The Bourne Identity....and then will carry on to the next two Bourne novels. Thats what I'm going to read on hols.............
Bourne Identity
Bourne Supremacy
Bourne Ultimatum
Bourne Legacy

Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 11:21   #86
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon M
Bourne Identity
Bourne Supremacy
Bourne Ultimatum
Bourne Legacy

Tnx for that. I would like to add that it's a good thing they didn't put the 4th novel in with the other 3 in my edition 'cos it's heavy and thick enough as it is. Amazon really ought to indicate if a book you are about to buy from them is 2 inches thick and weight a few kilos!
Old 30-06-2005, 11:25   #87
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Andy MacNab Bravo 2 Zero. If you have not read it get it as its amazing.
Chris Ryan The one that got away. Please read both books.
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 23:21   #88
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Most recently I've read "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell" by Susanna Clarke and "Rats and Gargoyles" by Mary Gentle.

The first one was an excellent book. It's her first novel and a weighty tome (possibly a bit too weighty, I think there could have been a little more editing done) but none the less it's a fascinating read.

It's set in a parallel 19th Century Britain, one where magic had existed, but had fallen out of use (there are still people who call themselves "magicians", but most are simply gentlemen who read about the subject and write articles without actually *doing* any magic! ). Then along comes Mr Norell of the title who *does* do magic, but seems intent on keeping all the books of magic in his own hands and not sharing them with anyone and, indeed, stopping anyone else from even attempting magic.

There's a lot of background to it, where the north of England used to be ruled by John Uskglass, The Raven King and who also ruled The Faerie Lands and it's detailed and well constructed.

Apart from, as mentioned, it being a little over-written, the writing is very good, there are no major anachronisms that drop you back into the 21st Century and there's some good humorous bits that aren't forced or laboured.

Overall it's a very good fantasy story and well worth a read.

The second book, Rats and Gargoyles, however, is another one of those rare books that I just gave up on because I just *couldn't* keep reading it, which is a shame because I'd previously enjoyed another Mary Gentle story called "Grunts".

But R&G is annoying. It's written in short sentences. The book doesn't flow. It's broken up and jerky. Every time something starts, it stops. What's even more annoying is that when someone starts talking or doing a bit of plot exposition, it's suddenly interrupted by a description of their aching feet or the clothes they're wearing or them scratching their bum that starts to drive you nuts after a while.

It's got a nice Fantasy background and there are some interesting ideas in there, but they're buried under the weight of a rather bad writing style.

Not one I'd recommend.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 23:26   #89
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I've noticed Jonathan Strange in Borders a few times, but never decided to actually pick it up.

I think I might now, after your review
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 23:44   #90
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. Didn't think I'd like his books but I've not put it down!!!!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote