Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2015, 12:51   #1456
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Which streaming service can we use to see programmes from the Discovery channels, like Wheeler Dealers and Gold Rush?

Discovery is the only thing keeping us from ditching the TIVO and just using Netflix and Amazon
AFAIK there are no "official" streams for the Discovery channels. There are some unofficial ones but most streams are USA based rather than European.

Discovery are showcasing some series on Youtube.
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2015, 14:51   #1457
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Is the only way to view Netflix USA via a chromecast by buying a dedicated router and changing the DNS there?
Yes imo the tplink n600 is one of the best routers you can pick one up for about £45 on amazo very easy to configure.
Old 30-03-2015, 15:11   #1458
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Might be useful to know for some people the bt sport app works on the firetv box.
I tried it this morning as bt give bt sport free with bt mobile.
Can you do this by simply registering a PAYG sim and not using it?
Old 30-03-2015, 15:50   #1459
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Which streaming service can we use to see programmes from the Discovery channels, like Wheeler Dealers and Gold Rush?

Discovery is the only thing keeping us from ditching the TIVO and just using Netflix and Amazon
NowTv have the Discovery channel, i watched both those programmes on there t'other day.
Old 30-03-2015, 16:01   #1460
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Can you do this by simply registering a PAYG sim and not using it?
BT don't do payg mate their cheapest sim only is £10p/m.
Old 30-03-2015, 18:43   #1461
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
NowTv have the Discovery channel, i watched both those programmes on there t'other day.
Thanks for that, We could cope with another box under the TV
Old 30-03-2015, 21:20   #1462
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
BT don't do payg mate their cheapest sim only is £10p/m.
Still cheaper than paying for BT Sport or losing it after cord cutting!

Research shows consumers will only tolerate poor streaming for a maximum of four minutes:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201503283...#axzz3VtyyA2Vj
Old 30-03-2015, 23:02   #1463
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Still cheaper than paying for BT Sport or losing it after cord cutting!

Research shows consumers will only tolerate poor streaming for a maximum of four minutes:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201503283...#axzz3VtyyA2Vj
Defo mate the mobile pack isn't too bad tbf 200 minutes, unlimited texts, 500mb 4g internet, unlimited access to bt wifi hotspots 0800,0500,customer service calls are free bt sport app for £10p/m or £5p/m if you're already a bt broadband customer.
Old 31-03-2015, 10:56   #1464
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Defo mate the mobile pack isn't too bad tbf 200 minutes, unlimited texts, 500mb 4g internet, unlimited access to bt wifi hotspots 0800,0500,customer service calls are free bt sport app for £10p/m or £5p/m if you're already a bt broadband customer.
Is it worth dropping Plus Net for BT Broadband to save a fiver, or is it still cheaper to stay as you are?

Even if you didn't use the BT mobile, it still works out cheaper!
Old 31-03-2015, 11:54   #1465
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

All4 is now available on Sky+HD box - described as "Catch up with the best of Channel 4,E4 and More4 from the last30 days. Does NOT include archive content.

Still 4OD on Tivo
Old 31-03-2015, 13:53   #1466
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Is it worth dropping Plus Net for BT Broadband to save a fiver, or is it still cheaper to stay as you are?

Even if you didn't use the BT mobile, it still works out cheaper!
If BT didn't block torrent sites and allowed me to use my own router it might be, but Plusnet do not block torrents and they also allow me to use my own router too.
It would work out around about the same with the fiver discount.
Plus still got 12 months left on my plusnet contract lol.

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

As promised a quick update the Android emulator i'm testing is Andys running on vm oracle on windows 7 home premium so far i have had btsport, itvplayer, 4od (all4), skygo, fxnow, demand5, bbciplayer, xfinitygo, skysports app, various games too many to list, canal+ app, discovery, nbcsportsextra working on it i've got more to play with such as showbox not sure if i'm allowed to discuss that one though but i have a few more legiment ones to play with later on today.
Old 31-03-2015, 15:46   #1467
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I've just checked my Youview box and it's been updated , I thought I'd post for anyone else who has a Humax box.

All in all it's a pretty good update and promising for the future with the apps section now.

Update info
Old 31-03-2015, 16:06   #1468
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I've just checked my Youview box and it's been updated , I thought I'd post for anyone else who has a Humax box.

All in all it's a pretty good update and promising for the future with the apps section now.

Update info
Looks impressive, I'm currently using Humax's Fox HDR T2 with custom firmware which is a nice box. Does All4 have access to archive material on Youview (eg old stuff like Hill Street Blues etc)?
Old 31-03-2015, 16:16   #1469
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

Update info
No update for me yet, i like the idea of the 'Discover' section.
Old 31-03-2015, 16:37   #1470
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiekev View Post
Looks impressive, I'm currently using Humax's Fox HDR T2 with custom firmware which is a nice box. Does All4 have access to archive material on Youview (eg old stuff like Hill Street Blues etc)?
I've just searched for you , it lists Hill Street Blues but only has Series 1 , 5 , 6 , 7 which seems strange.
Closed Thread