Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2016, 02:42   #2971
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

The older box without Freeview has been reduced to £20.
you can get it cheaper than that. £17.99 with a 3 month entertainment pass

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Mont...eywords=now+tv
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2016, 07:45   #2972
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Just been looking at Now TV. Their new box with non recordable Freeview seems daft as you'd be hard pressed to buy a TV without a DTT tuner built in these days.

I much prefer the older and cheaper model.

From my research, the new box doesn't seem to be as popular as they had hoped and is now being discounted for anyone that wants one.

IIRC it was £69 at launch and has been reduced on Tesco Direct to £59, however someone has seen them reduced to £39.99 in Tesco Express!

It would make more sense if the Freeview programmes were made available on demand, as the Sky channels and ITV Encore content is. Many, including myself, would find that an acceptable alternative to recording, provided the programmes remained on there for long enough.
Old 24-08-2016, 11:14   #2973
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Just been looking at Now TV. Their new box with non recordable Freeview seems daft as you'd be hard pressed to buy a TV without a DTT tuner built in these days.

I much prefer the older and cheaper model.

From my research, the new box doesn't seem to be as popular as they had hoped and is now being discounted for anyone that wants one.

IIRC it was £69 at launch and has been reduced on Tesco Direct to £59, however someone has seen them reduced to £39.99 in Tesco Express!

From today the black nowtv box (without freeview) with either 3 months entertainment pass £19.99 or 4 month sky cinema pass is £19.95 in Argos. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search...owtv:cinematop
Old 24-08-2016, 13:34   #2974
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It would make more sense if the Freeview programmes were made available on demand, as the Sky channels and ITV Encore content is. Many, including myself, would find that an acceptable alternative to recording, provided the programmes remained on there for long enough.
The Freeview programmes are available On Demand through the Now TV box in their respective players (ie ITV Player , Iplayer etc)
Old 24-08-2016, 13:57   #2975
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The Freeview programmes are available On Demand through the Now TV box in their respective players (ie ITV Player , Iplayer etc)

As MM says; already there. I guess it will be the standard 4 weeks availability, and they will have adds. That's why I record any Freeview channel shows.
Old 24-08-2016, 14:18   #2976
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
As MM says; already there. I guess it will be the standard 4 weeks availability, and they will have adds. That's why I record any Freeview channel shows.
Fair point!
Old 27-08-2016, 20:51   #2977
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
My TV is 8 years old and doesn't have a Free view HD tuner so that is already a plus for me. If I was going to buy a Now TV box I would certainly buy the new one as any new gets they add will most likely be only for that one. Can the older boxes pause live TV?
Old 28-08-2016, 00:04   #2978
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
My TV is 8 years old and doesn't have a Free view HD tuner so that is already a plus for me. If I was going to buy a Now TV box I would certainly buy the new one as any new gets they add will most likely be only for that one. Can the older boxes pause live TV?
No, the older non-DTT boxes can't pause live TV.
Old 29-08-2016, 11:41   #2979
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

I bought one of the new Freeiview compatible boxes with a 5 month entertainment pass last week as Argos had them discounted to £39 and I really like it.

I can see why some people wont and my use case is probably different to many,
in my living room I have a not so good communal aerial with which I've never been able to pick up many Freeview channels so prior to this I had to use a HD Homerun device connected to an indoor aerial in the only place in my home which could pick up a decent Freeview signal then network it around the home.
Because of this I'm quite used to the limited now and next EPG that the HD Homerun Kodi addon uses but can fully understand why people don't like it,
more to the point though is this new smart box works really well, it has a very good tuner in it that picks up every Freeview channel I previously couldn't get through the living room aerial and the Now TV and catchup apps work extremely well.

I have a theory after using this device that Sky use different servers for different devices on their Now TV service, with the new box everything I've played from them starts of on the highest quality available which never changes to a different quality, I have experienced no buffering or errors including a day of watching Sky Sports yesterday which is something I could never say about the Windows app and it also outputs at 50 hz so there's no micro stuttering on panning scenes or as some people describe it a filmic effect on live sports.
The Sky Sports News and Sky News apps work equally as good and BBC Iplayer is fast and slick again always giving the highest bitrate.

I've tried the other apps like All4 and ITV Hub and they seem to work well too but to be honest there's not much on there I want to watch and can't stand the amount of unskippable ads they serve up so can't comment too much on them other than they looked good in a couple of brief tries.

If its any recommendation I went out and got another one with a movie pass this time for another room, I had to get this from Tesco's though as Argos had sold out everywhere.

I'm not overly bothered by the lack of a recording, I can't remember the last time I set something to record although I wouldn't be surprised if a future firmware update activates the USB port to do this if Sky get enough complaints about the lack of this feature.
Old 29-08-2016, 11:50   #2980
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I bought one of the new Freeiview compatible boxes with a 5 month entertainment pass last week as Argos had them discounted to £39 and I really like it.

I can see why some people wont and my use case is probably different to many,
in my living room I have a not so good communal aerial with which I've never been able to pick up many Freeview channels so prior to this I had to use a HD Homerun device connected to an indoor aerial in the only place in my home which could pick up a decent Freeview signal then network it around the home.
Because of this I'm quite used to the limited now and next EPG that the HD Homerun Kodi addon uses but can fully understand why people don't like it,
more to the point though is this new smart box works really well, it has a very good tuner in it that picks up every Freeview channel I previously couldn't get through the living room aerial and the Now TV and catchup apps work extremely well.

I have a theory after using this device that Sky use different servers for different devices on their Now TV service, with the new box everything I've played from them starts of on the highest quality available which never changes to a different quality, I have experienced no buffering or errors including a day of watching Sky Sports yesterday which is something I could never say about the Windows app and it also outputs at 50 hz so there's no micro stuttering on panning scenes or as some people describe it a filmic effect on live sports.
The Sky Sports News and Sky News apps work equally as good and BBC Iplayer is fast and slick again always giving the highest bitrate.

I've tried the other apps like All4 and ITV Hub and they seem to work well too but to be honest there's not much on there I want to watch and can't stand the amount of unskippable ads they serve up so can't comment too much on them other than they looked good in a couple of brief tries.

If its any recommendation I went out and got another one with a movie pass this time for another room, I had to get this from Tesco's though as Argos had sold out everywhere.

I'm not overly bothered by the lack of a recording, I can't remember the last time I set something to record although I wouldn't be surprised if a future firmware update activates the USB port to do this if Sky get enough complaints about the lack of this feature.
The Now TV service is indeed very good and I am happy that it meets your needs so well.

However, for me, the Tivo has many features which I want to keep, such as the EPG showing programmes weeks ahead, the recording and wishlist functions, etc. So Now TV is a useful add-on for me, but not something I would ditch my XL subscription to VM for.

However, I have been toying with the idea of getting the Movies pass and ditching Sky Movies on Virgin, as VM are more expensive and I tend not to record films. The PQ on Now TV is very good although not quite HD.
Old 29-08-2016, 13:21   #2981
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
However, I have been toying with the idea of getting the Movies pass and ditching Sky Movies on Virgin, as VM are more expensive and I tend not to record films. The PQ on Now TV is very good although not quite HD.
You should do this without any shadow of a doubt. The PQ is 720p for On Demand movies. The advantages of having the movies channels through Virgin are in my opinion simply not worth the extra cost (having recently had full access to Sky Movies on one of my TiVos for free I can testify I didn't make use of this once)

With the kids in the house I find we're watching on average about 6-8 films a month. great value for £9.99 a month.

I'm going to watch the last series of Hell on Wheels and get through season 3 of The Strain (Pretty sure Watch have excusive rights to the first showing of this) then I'm ditching VM's XL package and going for the bog standard M tv package......unless VM throw me a massive incentive.

It' been nearly a whole month since any of us in the house have watched/recorded anything not available on the M package with Now TV entertainment. If anything we've been using Amazon and Netflix the most.

For some strange reason it takes what can best be described as "courage" to cut back but I'm looking forward to taking the leap.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:27   #2982
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I know that "courage" feeling. I must have gone back and forth for almost two years before dumling one of my two boxes and getting the M package on my remaining box. Don't regret it one bit the services I currently subscribe to give me everything I need, Netflix, Amazon and Now TV. also on free trials for Funimation and Crunchyroll which I am really enjoying will be tough which of the two to keep once the trails are up.
Old 03-09-2016, 13:31   #2983
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

New series of Narcos started on Netflix last night.
Old 05-09-2016, 14:27   #2984
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

I've only just realised I can watch Google play stuff on my main tv through the roku, another useful option. I'm always getting codes and offers from them
Old 06-09-2016, 07:01   #2985
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Is it me or is the sound on 'Magic City' poor?
Closed Thread