Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 29-07-2016, 16:35   #2896
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
If i remember correctly when you buy something from SKY store you get a digital copy too which you can download to your SKY+HD box or view via the sky store app/website.
You get a digital copy you can download/archive on your box you can also watch on other Sky Store devices , at the moment you get a DVD copy sent through the post although a Blu Ray option is also to be added.

Sky Store can be used on computer , Youview , Roku , Now TV box , Sky+HD , Sky Q , iOS and Android.

In my opinion it's quite pricey although they do have some good offers on from time to time for those wanting the odd purchase or rental.
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2016, 16:47   #2897
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

In my opinion it's quite pricey although they do have some good offers on from time to time for those wanting the odd purchase or rental.
Agreed. BTW, out of interest, do you know if they will be in 1080p and 5.1 via the black Now TV box?
Old 29-07-2016, 17:10   #2898
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Agreed. BTW, out of interest, do you know if they will be in 1080p and 5.1 via the black Now TV box?
It states 720p on NOW TV, Roku and YouView boxes, Windows 7 (or later), iOS and Android.

1080i on compatible Sky boxes.

I'm pretty sure 5.1 is available via Sky boxes but the others could be just stereo. Obviously you would get 5.1 via your physical copy which comes through the post although being it's DVD for now only SD picture.

I can understand the thinking behind Sky's reluctance to make Now TV 1080p although it should be a given with purchases considering all the other purchase options available have it as standard and digital sales aren't exactly cheap are they. You'd like to think with all the new boxes having 1080p as an option that they'll introduce it at some stage.
Old 29-07-2016, 22:12   #2899
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You get a digital copy you can download/archive on your box you can also watch on other Sky Store devices , at the moment you get a DVD copy sent through the post although a Blu Ray option is also to be added.

Sky Store can be used on computer , Youview , Roku , Now TV box , Sky+HD , Sky Q , iOS and Android.

Thanks mate the blu ray will be a good thing if they lower prices a bit, but in fairness Sky store have given a couple of freebies in past too which included the dvd, most recent one i can remember was RIO was free and they sent the dvd too.
Old 30-07-2016, 12:53   #2900
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
It states 720p on NOW TV, Roku and YouView boxes, Windows 7 (or later), iOS and Android.

1080i on compatible Sky boxes.

I'm pretty sure 5.1 is available via Sky boxes but the others could be just stereo. Obviously you would get 5.1 via your physical copy which comes through the post although being it's DVD for now only SD picture.

I can understand the thinking behind Sky's reluctance to make Now TV 1080p although it should be a given with purchases considering all the other purchase options available have it as standard and digital sales aren't exactly cheap are they. You'd like to think with all the new boxes having 1080p as an option that they'll introduce it at some stage.
I quickly compared a couple of titles on Amazon. They were cheaper and 1080p and 5.1. Ok, so you don't get the DVD; but why would you need it? I rip any DVDs that I buy anyway, to make the content easily accessible via various devices.

I understand why Sky TV shows via Now TV are 720p and stereo, but there is no reason why purchased titles should be limited to that, given that the black Now TV box is capable of 1080p/5.1.
Old 01-08-2016, 13:36   #2901
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
...but as someone who has multiple 4K devices and access to a vpn provider and smart dns I can confirm after lots of my own testing VM is throttling Netflix servers, I have tried a few and they have really squeezed it, Amazon and others seem fine...
(152 mb)
An interesting post from the 'Coming soon' thread.

Has anyone else found VM to be throttling Netflix?
Old 01-08-2016, 13:52   #2902
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
An interesting post from the 'Coming soon' thread.

Has anyone else found VM to be throttling Netflix?
VM do traffic manage even though they claim they don't, no doubt Spiderplant will be along soon to claim they don't throttle even though evidence pioints towards VM throttling connections.
Old 01-08-2016, 14:25   #2903
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Oh dear that wise old sage Spiderplant seems to in somebody's bad books today.
Old 01-08-2016, 15:24   #2904
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
VM do traffic manage even though they claim they don't, no doubt Spiderplant will be along soon to claim they don't throttle even though evidence pioints towards VM throttling connections.
I wouldn't know. I work in TV, not broadband.
Old 01-08-2016, 15:52   #2905
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Apologies if this already been posted, but I've only just seen it

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...the-tv-licence

Quote:
From 1 September 2016 you will need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use.
Old 01-08-2016, 16:10   #2906
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I wouldn't know. I work in TV, not broadband.
Well that shut me up lol

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Apologies if this already been posted, but I've only just seen it

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...the-tv-licence
Still well worth reminding people thanks Ben
Old 07-08-2016, 22:02   #2907
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

With the news recently that Time Warner has bought a 10% stake in Hulu now meaning that all the major US studios own a piece of Hulu, it made me think of what this could mean for Netflix and Amazon et all.

I've always gone under the assumption that when the big media cos have their own streaming facilities, they would start withholding their content from the likes of Netflix and this may or may not happen. But what if it were to happen the other way around?

Netflix, in particular, is now building up a sizable library of its own tv content and given another five years this will run into thousands of hours of their own tv. And they're making more of their own films too.

When Reed Hastings said recently he wants Netflix to be a global tv network, I believed him. But what I think he really means, is, he wants only his own shows on his own "network" and no one else's. He's always said he wants Netflix to be like HBO and perhaps he means it literally. Netflix started off renting videos of other companies' product, but perhaps their future is only distributing their own stuff.

What do you think? Do you think Netflix will only have their own shows/films on their service in the future, or do you think they will still be a aggregator for others too?

Would you still pay if Netflix only showed their own shows and no one else's?

Would Netflix really turn down the opportunity to show a future Star Trek or Star Wars series in favour of their own stuff. Would be risky...

I don't think Netflix/Amazon's aim is merely to get as many eyeballs onto their service as possible and away from the big US studios/media companies, I think they're more ambitious than that... They don't just want to compete with Disney, Time Warner, Fox and Viacom, they want to replace them completely.

Last edited by Horizon; 07-08-2016 at 22:09.
Old 07-08-2016, 22:36   #2908
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
With the news recently that Time Warner has bought a 10% stake in Hulu now meaning that all the major US studios own a piece of Hulu, it made me think of what this could mean for Netflix and Amazon et all.

I've always gone under the assumption that when the big media cos have their own streaming facilities, they would start withholding their content from the likes of Netflix and this may or may not happen. But what if it were to happen the other way around?

Netflix, in particular, is now building up a sizable library of its own tv content and given another five years this will run into thousands of hours of their own tv. And they're making more of their own films too.

When Reed Hastings said recently he wants Netflix to be a global tv network, I believed him. But what I think he really means, is, he wants only his own shows on his own "network" and no one else's. He's always said he wants Netflix to be like HBO and perhaps he means it literally. Netflix started off renting videos of other companies' product, but perhaps their future is only distributing their own stuff.

What do you think? Do you think Netflix will only have their own shows/films on their service in the future, or do you think they will still be a aggregator for others too?

Would you still pay if Netflix only showed their own shows and no one else's?

Would Netflix really turn down the opportunity to show a future Star Trek or Star Wars series in favour of their own stuff. Would be risky...

I don't think Netflix/Amazon's aim is merely to get as many eyeballs onto their service as possible and away from the big US studios/media companies, I think they're more ambitious than that... They don't just want to compete with Disney, Time Warner, Fox and Viacom, they want to replace them completely.
I believe Netflix have recently done deals with CW, FOX and Disney.
What will probably happen is HULU will get shows right after they air whereas Netflix will get them once the season has finished airing.
Old 07-08-2016, 23:36   #2909
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

...., oh I agree for now, but its a little bit down the line where I'm pondering where Netflix may end up.

Netflix and Amazon are not just producing a few shows to supplement what they get from elsewhere, I am suggesting that are doing what they are doing (and spending billions) because they intend to be the Time Warner/Disney/Fox/Sony/Paramount of the future.

Last edited by Horizon; 07-08-2016 at 23:42.
Old 08-08-2016, 00:21   #2910
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
...., oh I agree for now, but its a little bit down the line where I'm pondering where Netflix may end up.

Netflix and Amazon are not just producing a few shows to supplement what they get from elsewhere, I am suggesting that are doing what they are doing (and spending billions) because they intend to be the Time Warner/Disney/Fox/Sony/Paramount of the future.
I agree.
Closed Thread