Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | internet going off Paisley, Renfrewshire area

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is Modem mode any faster than LAN

Old 17-10-2012, 21:39   #1
robbo63
Inactive

robbo63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is Modem mode any faster than LAN

Hi all
First post here and wondering if anyone could assist. We've just got the 60Mb package installed and would like some advise on using a Vigor 2820n in Modem mode to maybe speed up the Wifi. When wired, it appears I'm getting 60Mbs but wifi is typically between 15 and 20Mbs (using Gadget Shows Thinkbroadband tool and downloading a few Linux iso's, added together, I got 7.4MB/sec wired and 2MB/s on wifi). I've had the Vigor WAN2 wired to a LAN port into the Superhub in standard mode but still only get 2MB/s.
So a few questions really. Would the Vigor be any faster if the Superhub were in Modem mode instead of standard LAN? Should the Vigor be faster than the above - I'm assuming yes.
Finally, if anyone knows the correct setup/settings to optimise the Vigor because to be honest, I don't really understand it!! Any help would be really appreciated.
Robbo
robbo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2012, 23:32   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Is Modem mode any faster than LAN

That depends where the problem is, and how fast your wireless client is capable of going.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 01:04   #3
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Sounds like wireless is running top whack, for G devices. If either your router, or your wireless device, or both are running at G speeds then this is what you should expect.

If you are running N speed devices on and N speed router set to N mode then you may have issues.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 08:18   #4
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
That depends where the problem is, and how fast your wireless client is capable of going.
Helpful as ever...

---------- Post added at 08:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo63 View Post
Hi all
First post here and wondering if anyone could assist. We've just got the 60Mb package installed and would like some advise on using a Vigor 2820n in Modem mode to maybe speed up the Wifi. When wired, it appears I'm getting 60Mbs but wifi is typically between 15 and 20Mbs (using Gadget Shows Thinkbroadband tool and downloading a few Linux iso's, added together, I got 7.4MB/sec wired and 2MB/s on wifi).
Hi Robbo and welcome here

The fact that you're getting around 60Mbps throughput when wired to the Vigor router shows that the bottleneck is the wireless connection, not the connection from the 2820 to the SH.

As others have said, if you're using a 802.11g equipped device rather than a 802.11n then you won't get much more than 20Mbps. The quoted figure for g devices of 54Mbps is never achievable as this bit rate includes error correction data etc rather than end to end data rates.
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 08:24   #5
robbo63
Inactive

robbo63 is an unknown quantity at this point

So if I were to change to 5 Ghz from the Vigor, would this improve much? I've heard that security settings can restrict speed too?
robbo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 08:30   #6
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo63 View Post
So if I were to change to 5.6 Ghz from the Vigor, would this improve much?
Not necessarily - What's the spec of the wireless adapter in your PC? What wireless standard is the 2820 set to?
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote