Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 18-03-2012, 22:59   #1456
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Should point out again, it's still only a preliminary (half) upgrade, and while you get a higher download speed, STM and upload speed aren't upgraded to what they should be until later.
yeah that explains why I got a low STM, as I am on I guess the same STM as what 20mbit users get.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2012, 00:45   #1457
mike24
Inactive

Services: super hub 2, 50Mbps, TiVo 500MB Tv, phone
mike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24 View Post
In the Southsea area it's from July onwards.
Have Super Hub on 30Mbps which will increase to 60Mbps & no charge for installation, as i am an exsisting customer, as my latest bill states:-)
just seen my bill & have been charged £30 for installation
mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 00:50   #1458
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24 View Post
just seen my bill & have been charged £30 for installation
i think if you upgraded online, the system makes a mistake and charges you, call up CS tomorrow and get it checked
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 17:57   #1459
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
60s unmanaged atm
hey thenry, i can back up your statement too as was what i was told.

this is what i posted in the other thread:

tried finding out information for traffic management on 60Mb, lady told me the info for 30Mb package, i explained a couple things to her, and she said she will talk to her 2nd line support to confirm any information

she came back and got information from 2nd line support who said there is currently no traffic management on speeds above 50Mb, including the new 60Mb package until the policy is updated in April.
Old 19-03-2012, 18:06   #1460
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

yeah just saw your post. care to test zee?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 18:10   #1461
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
yeah just saw your post. care to test zee?
yes im testing now, will update in either one of these 2 threads.
Old 19-03-2012, 18:45   #1462
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
hey thenry, i can back up your statement too as was what i was told.

this is what i posted in the other thread:

tried finding out information for traffic management on 60Mb, lady told me the info for 30Mb package, i explained a couple things to her, and she said she will talk to her 2nd line support to confirm any information

she came back and got information from 2nd line support who said there is currently no traffic management on speeds above 50Mb, including the new 60Mb package until the policy is updated in April.
That's not right. 60Mbit does have traffic management
Old 19-03-2012, 18:52   #1463
adzzzbatch
Inactive

Services: Full House XL TV, SkySports HD, VM TiVo 500Gb, TiVo 1Tb, VHD Box. 200Mb BB, Talk More Anytime Phone
adzzzbatch will become famous soon enoughadzzzbatch will become famous soon enoughadzzzbatch will become famous soon enough

I assume you can only ring up and ask for an early upgrade (to 60mb) if your area already has 100mb?

My area i supposed to be ready for 100 in May, one of the last ones and ready for the speed doubling in July.
adzzzbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 18:57   #1464
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzzzbatch View Post
I assume you can only ring up and ask for an early upgrade (to 60mb) if your area already has 100mb?

My area i supposed to be ready for 100 in May, one of the last ones and ready for the speed doubling in July.
call up and get through to the upgrades team, they should upgrade your down speed early, upload speed will follow afterwards. My area is due July onwards but was 100Mbenabled a few days ago, requested 60Mb and got it.
Old 19-03-2012, 18:57   #1465
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
how professional
Old 19-03-2012, 19:00   #1466
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Could you tell us the traffic management policy then please, as i've just downloaded a 7GB+ file on utorrent, started it around 6pm and its just finished and still getting 62Mb on speedtest.net
Old 19-03-2012, 19:07   #1467
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

For the double speed tiers, the management is roughly double the tier it was

So for 60Mbit, that's double XL 30, so you'll have around 10GB downstream - as XL 30 has 5GB downstream
Old 19-03-2012, 19:09   #1468
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
For the double speed tiers, the management is roughly double the tier it was

So for 60Mbit, that's double XL 30, so you'll have around 10GB downstream - as XL 30 has 5GB downstream
and how sure are you that it is currently being implemented right now?
Old 19-03-2012, 19:13   #1469
thenry
Inactive

test zee. download little by little though adding to your current 7Gb.

youve got your infinity connection to fall back on if you get managed
Old 19-03-2012, 19:13   #1470
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
and how sure are you that it is currently being implemented right now?
100%.