Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Area Fault?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

cable technology, upstream limits and acks

Old 11-06-2010, 18:58   #1
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
cable technology, upstream limits and acks

I think I have discovered something.

I noticed when downloading at full speed I use around 2/3rds of my upload limit, this is on 20mbit.

So I decided to try with delayed acks disabled, which doubles the upstream requirement for ack packets.

I was expecting to not able to hit max download speeds but instead I still got max speed but using around 1mbit of ack packets (120kB/sec). Above my upload limit.

It would seem ack's are not subject to the upload limit set on the cable modem config, or that the tiny period of time they are sent is too short for the limit to apply.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2010, 19:52   #2
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: cable technology, upstream limits and acks

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/bcg...contentId=4048

TurboDOX - you are talking to your cable modem at 1Mbit, it is TCP proxying and dealing with the Acks itself at a significantly lower rate.

EDIT: Just remembered you're on 20Mbps using one of the Ambit 256s or below. You'll be using Broadcom's equivalent, Propane.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 19:59   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I think Chrys this would appear as FAIL on a certain website.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 20:47   #4
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

not got an ambit 256 got the cisco.

ignition is it the case the modem will be overiding the pc setting then and delaying the ack's? those docs just blurt on about performance boost's without been specific.
Old 11-06-2010, 22:16   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

All Virginmedia modems are locked down by Virginmedia so if you try to unlock a modem or use software to try override internal settings in the modem then you would be in breach of the Terms and Conditions.

You can use any software on your computer to improve the connection.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 22:23   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
not got an ambit 256 got the cisco.

ignition is it the case the modem will be overiding the pc setting then and delaying the ack's? those docs just blurt on about performance boost's without been specific.
Still a Broadcom chipset so Propane enabled, and kinda.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 23:38   #7
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
All Virginmedia modems are locked down by Virginmedia so if you try to unlock a modem or use software to try override internal settings in the modem then you would be in breach of the Terms and Conditions.

You can use any software on your computer to improve the connection.

rest easy my friend, I am not tampering with the modem.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:09   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

rest easy my friend, I am not tampering with the modem.
I did not expect that you were but it is good to post about the T&C's and cable modems as not everyone would be aware of that and the are illegal ways and means to use software on the modem.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote