Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2016, 02:12   #2776
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Oooh, totally unaware of this. Most interesting. Thought you were talking about Hulu. Wonder what Sky thinks of it?

As for there being enough content, if you were to include all ABC produced shows, including new ones and including new films which Sky has the rights for at the moment, absolutely. But that's not what will be on this service, so I'm not sure how attractive it would be without all the latest stuff.
Well, Disney moves out of Now TV in the next month so I guess both will see how it affects UK audiences. I would guess that is why they lauched the Kids Now TV bundle at this point.

...not sure this is the post I meant to quote....
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2016, 12:16   #2777
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
Well, Disney moves out of Now TV in the next month so I guess both will see how it affects UK audiences. I would guess that is why they lauched the Kids Now TV bundle at this point.

...not sure this is the post I meant to quote....
Disney are clearly wanting to sell their own content online whilst still keeping it's deal with the traditional satellite/cable/IPTV platforms.
Old 10-06-2016, 15:20   #2778
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Well having a Samsung 3D TV, 3D Blu-ray, Tablet & Phone, I hope this is free
Same here.

Just received an email from Argos about a streaming services sale. Thought I'd give others the heads up and ask those more knowledgeable than myself for some advice too:

- Roku 3 £99 to £69.

- Roku 2 £69 to £54.99

- Roku £49.99 to £39.99

- Google Chromecast £30.

Are these prices good?

Which is the best to go for?

Will they all have Now TV as I've been given a Movie voucher

Can Plex (or anything similar) be side loaded onto all of these like the Now TV box?

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2016, 15:34   #2779
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Same here.

Just received an email from Argos about a streaming services sale. Thought I'd give others the heads up and ask those more knowledgeable than myself for some advice too:

- Roku 3 £99 to £69.

- Roku 2 £69 to £54.99

- Roku £49.99 to £39.99

- Google Chromecast £30.

Are these prices good?

Can Plex (or anything similar) be side loaded onto all of these like the Now TV box?

Cheers.
What services do you want? Is it just Now TV and terrestrial catchup services?
Old 10-06-2016, 16:14   #2780
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Same here.

- Roku 3 £99 to £69.

- Roku 2 £69 to £54.99

- Roku £49.99 to £39.99

- Google Chromecast £30.

Are these prices good?

Cheers.

There's a new Now TV box coming out on 25th June, Richard, you might want to wait to see what it's like before deciding.
Old 10-06-2016, 16:26   #2781
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
What services do you want? Is it just Now TV and terrestrial catchup services?
Now TV is preferable as I've been given a free movie voucher, but not essential.

I would like the terrestrial catch up services so I don't have to use the TiVo as it takes too long, but again this might not be essential if the new TiVo software and box resolve this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
There's a new Now TV box coming out on 25th June, Richard, you might want to wait to see what it's like before deciding.
Cheers
Old 10-06-2016, 16:27   #2782
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
What are your needs? If it's just to watch a Now TV film pass worth £9 as a one-off, it may be more cost effective to watch it on a computer or tablet.
Old 10-06-2016, 16:32   #2783
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
What are your needs? If it's just to watch a Now TV film pass worth £9 as a one-off, it may be more cost effective to watch it on a computer or tablet.
Well, I prefer to watch things on the TV and also want to have a play about to see what other content is out there.

I am also thinking of downgrading my TiVo package to M for the main/free channels and using streaming services (pay or free) to obtain any extra channels that I want.

The only channel I think i'd miss from XL would be Animal Planet. If I can't get this any other way, I might downgrade to M+ as VM include the SD channel in the M+ package.

I understand why I'd no longer get the HD variant, but blocking the +1 channel seems very petty.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-06-2016 at 16:36.
Old 10-06-2016, 16:39   #2784
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Will be interesting to see it. As I understand it, it will have an EPG combining the Freeview channels and the Now TV live channels.
Richard, what do you want the streaming device to do that your Smart TV and Tivo cannot deliver at the moment? (But no harm having extra tech if you like it. )

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Quote:
Well, I prefer to watch things on the TV and also want to have a play about to see what other content is out there.

I am also thinking of downgrading my TiVo package to M for the main/free channels and using streaming services (pay or free) to obtain any extra channels that I want.

The only channel I think i'd miss from XL would be Animal Planet.
Makes sense and a good opportunity to sample Atlantic content too. For the deals you get from time to time, I reckon the Now TV boxes are best value as they are pretty much free but they don't allow access to competitors like Netflix and Amazon though. Then again, Amazon does not provide access to Now TV.
Old 10-06-2016, 16:46   #2785
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Will you use the Freeview side of the box if your connecting it to a Smart TV anyway , I'm sure you'll find the EPG is a lot more limited than the one on your smart TV.

The current black Now TV box is also smaller in size.

https://youtu.be/zPIeYXUiufk

Last edited by muppetman11; 10-06-2016 at 16:55.
Old 10-06-2016, 16:50   #2786
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Am I reading this correctly? Add the Sky film channels to a big bundle on Virgin Movies and that will cost an extra £21 per month, whereas the movies pass on Now TV is £9.99!

Doesn't sound right to me. What is the true position? If true, the obvious couse of action for me is to ditch the movies package on Virgin and get the Movies Pass on Now TV. I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier!!
Old 10-06-2016, 17:09   #2787
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Am I reading this correctly? Add the Sky film channels to a big bundle on Virgin Movies and that will cost an extra £21 per month, whereas the movies pass on Now TV is £9.99!

Doesn't sound right to me. What is the true position? If true, the obvious couse of action for me is to ditch the movies package on Virgin and get the Movies Pass on Now TV. I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier!!
Or better still pay 6 months upfront and add a voucher for £35.99 equivalent to £6 a month for movies.

http://www.nowtv.com/offers/moviesoffers
Old 10-06-2016, 17:10   #2788
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Will you use the Freeview side of the box if your connecting it to a Smart TV anyway , I'm sure you'll find the EPG is a lot more limited than the one on your smart TV.

The current black Now TV box is also smaller in size.

https://youtu.be/zPIeYXUiufk

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying MM, please explain, thx
Old 10-06-2016, 17:12   #2789
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying MM, please explain, thx
The main difference with the new box is that it has an aerial connection for receiving terrestrial channels , do you need that ?
Old 10-06-2016, 17:12   #2790
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Or better still pay 6 months upfront and add a voucher for £35.99 equivalent to £6 a month for movies.

http://www.nowtv.com/offers/moviesoffers
So the movies add on with VM is £21 per month! Christ!!
Closed Thread