Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | all-you-can-eat-data

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

all-you-can-eat-data

Old 04-11-2012, 14:05   #1
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
all-you-can-eat-data

So i got my brother a contract with VM with a all you can eat data package like Three do.

Just want to know how unlimited is it really?

He gets 2,500 Minutes and unlimited everything else (apparently including unlimited tethering for £12 per month)

So how unlimited is it and how unlimited is the tethering because i know with Three its totally unlimited with no fair usage policy. 2 months ago when i had no internet connection i managed to use over 200GB using my Three connection as a personal hot-spot and got no complaints from them.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2012, 15:46   #2
Jameseh

Re: all-you-can-eat-data

I asked in another thread and BenMCR pointed out the small print about fair usage of 4,000 texts & no tethering.
Old 04-11-2012, 18:26   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
I asked in another thread and BenMCR pointed out the small print about fair usage of 4,000 texts & no tethering.
I didn't point out about the fair usage of 4,000 texts because there isn't.

For PAYG it does say no tethering, and for both the PAYG and Pay Monthly unlimited data there is a 10GB management threshold, where you'll get slowed down (but not stopped)
Old 04-11-2012, 18:39   #4
robson689
Inactive

Services: VM 60Mbit, TiVo.
robson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I didn't point out about the fair usage of 4,000 texts because there isn't.

For PAYG it does say no tethering, and for both the PAYG and Pay Monthly unlimited data there is a 10GB management threshold, where you'll get slowed down (but not stopped)
How do they know if you're tethering though? Surely if it's "unlimited" but with that 10GB management threshold you can do what you like with that 10GB?
robson689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 18:43   #5
Jameseh

My bad it was Kymmy and 3,000;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
The small print at the bottom

Quote:
Welcome bonus of free texts and data are dependent on your top up value within 48 hours of your very first top-up. Welcome bonus texts and data will expire at the end of the month in which the top up occurs. Free texts, data access and call rates are for UK use only. Excludes premium rate services. Free texts or data access will be added on the first day of the month following the top up(s) and are valid for one month or until used. ¹Unlimited texts subject to a fair use policy of 3000 texts per month.
It does though refer to it as note #1 though I can't find where it's referenced from.
Old 04-11-2012, 18:54   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
My bad it was Kymmy and 3,000;
Yes and that has now been removed from the website

Quote:
The term has now been removed
Old 04-11-2012, 19:45   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson689 View Post
How do they know if you're tethering though?
Your phone tells the network it's connecting in tethering mode.

Quote:
Surely if it's "unlimited" but with that 10GB management threshold you can do what you like with that 10GB?
Commercial distinctions != Logical distinctions.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 20:28   #8
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Not very good at 10GB, if its advertised as unlimited and the guy on the phone told me its completely unlimited. its a great price for what im getting but not happy about being told there is no such thing as a fair usage policy and its completely unlimited.

Im guessing Three is the only network who offers truly unlimited data then...

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

From their website FAQ:

With Virgin Mobile, you can download up to 25Mb a day in the UK

Confused now?
Old 04-11-2012, 20:34   #9
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

If you reach the 10GB on VM's unlimited package, they slow you down to 384kb/s for the rest of the month.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 20:58   #10
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
If you reach the 10GB on VM's unlimited package, they slow you down to 384kb/s for the rest of the month.
wow thats awful... better stick with Three
Old 04-11-2012, 21:34   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Between midday and midnight only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
wow thats awful... better stick with Three
And Three also have traffic management on their network http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...Case=obj(5914)
Old 04-11-2012, 21:46   #12
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
So for 3 or 4 hours of a normal day you would get full speed, awesome

Did a lot of reading and comparing of the two providers in the last week, Three comes out on top in all areas of shaping and restrictions imposed.
Old 04-11-2012, 21:52   #13
Zee
Inactive

Quote:

And Three also have traffic management on their network http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...Case=obj(5914)
yes they do but after downloading almost 200GB from them they still only capped me to 5Mb which was more then acceptable
Old 04-11-2012, 22:09   #14
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
yes they do but after downloading almost 200GB from them they still only capped me to 5Mb which was more then acceptable
Good to know

Cancelled my VM contract on Friday (reception was bad anyway) and ordered a new phone with Three which should be here tomorrow. Don't expect to use a huge amount of data but figured I would go over 10GB at least a few times. Nice to know I could use it much more if I wanted. If you are slowed down on Three, its only until the end of the week too.
Old 04-11-2012, 22:21   #15
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Good to know

Cancelled my VM contract on Friday (reception was bad anyway) and ordered a new phone with Three which should be here tomorrow. Don't expect to use a huge amount of data but figured I would go over 10GB at least a few times. Nice to know I could use it much more if I wanted.
you can check if your area has been upgraded to the new speeds, and it may tell you the date when maintenance is taking place, in other words when your area will be upgraded:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Built_for_internetting