Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Another VM micro sim issue for the IPHONE 4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Another VM micro sim issue for the IPHONE 4

Old 01-11-2012, 13:45   #1
mi2itsdl
Inactive

mi2itsdl is an unknown quantity at this point
Another VM micro sim issue for the IPHONE 4

Both my sons have Blackberry Curves 9300 on VM contracts, with 1 year still to go. The phones are rubbish, so I bought them the IPHONE 4 each on ebay, because I was told by a member of VM staff that all i needed was a micro sim to fit the iphone 4, which they could supply and it would be cheaper than paying £225 to cancel the contract.

Got the 1st phone, and ordered a micro sim for it. No questions asked or warnings given. Just charged £5.00

The 2nd phone turned up, so I went to order another micro sim, only to be told they don't sell them as they are not authorised to do so for the IPHONE.

I told them I already had one, and no one mentioned it then. They did not believe me, and said it was not possible. I had to read them the invoice number.

So now they will not give me a 2nd one, and they are saying the 1st one will not work.

So do they or do they not sell them !!! It depends which idiot you talk to.

Just waiting to get the 1st iphone unlocked from Vodaphone, to see if it will work. Then I have to report back to them and if it does they will give me another micro sim, If It does not, I have asked for both contracts to be cancelled for free, as I only got the IPHONE 4, because it was suggested by VM, and I have been given false information.

We will see what happens. Hopefully getting it unlocked tomorrow.
Tried yesterday near where I work and was told that IPHONES cost £50 to unlock. That can't be right, so will try at my local shops.

Also told that you cannot unlock them from the ORANGE network. Is this true, as the other phone is locked to ORANGE.

any help or advise appreciated
mi2itsdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2012, 16:15   #2
robson689
Inactive

Services: VM 60Mbit, TiVo.
robson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Another VM micro sim issue for the IPHONE 4

By law all mobile phone operators must let you buy unlock codes from them (handsets locked to their network, obviously). The problem I had with T-Mobile is that their policy is you must be a customer of T-Mobile (PayG) for at least 3 months before they sell you the unlock code.

I have checked for you and this is the same policy for Orange. They also charge £20.42 for the iPhone 4 unlock code.

In regards to the Micro SIM, I had problems getting one from them too for my Lumia 610 (even though they sell the Lumia 610) so in the end I just went with another operator. I would recommend getting a SIM card cutter and cutting your old SIM card down to the new Micro SIM size.

--

Also, before you get the Orange device unlocked, I would try using the VM SIM card in the Orange locked iPhone as it might work.

Unlocking: http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/su...ersonal/474187
robson689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 16:38   #3
mi2itsdl
Inactive

mi2itsdl is an unknown quantity at this point

can I try the vm micro sim in both the orange and vodaphone iphones without unlocking them?

both phones have been reset back to factory settings. However the orange one had a sim in it that still seems to work, i.e you can text from it and receive and make calls !!!
mi2itsdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 17:38   #4
robson689
Inactive

Services: VM 60Mbit, TiVo.
robson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about them

I may have found a solution, I have read from the VM forums that you can actually unlock the iPhone for free if you Jailbreak the device.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-unl...-and-firmware/
robson689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 13:52   #5
DrXerox
Inactive

DrXerox is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a similar situation I had.

I had a VM Blackberry with six months to end of contract when I bought a second hand iPhone4. I cut my sim down to fit, scary but it worked. I then rang VM and asked them to stop my Blackberry Services.
You need to do this in order to get mobile internet working. Initially they wouldn't do it because I mentioned the dredded word "iPhone". I was pretty insistant and also mentioned that this had been discussed on the official virgin community forums. They agreed to do it but were adamant that they would provide support in any way for the iPhone.
It worked a treat.

At the end of the Blackberry contract I moved onto a sim only deal and they sent me a micro sim free of charge. They made a complete cock-up of changing contracts which I have only just sorted, but thats another (very long) story!!
DrXerox is offline   Reply With Quote