Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

Old 10-03-2012, 17:19   #181
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
No different from lumping everyone together who is over 6' tall & saying they are the normal hight. They can manage things just because they are tall that shorter people couldn't. Doesn't make the problems the shorter people have any less of an issue. Just needs different ways of making things compatible for the people who are not 6' tall.

Or like saying everyone is guaranteed shoes and only providing size 6. For some this will be useless, for others a bit of adjustment will do. However what ATOS are doing is trying to make everyone fit into a size 6 which is impossible as there is not enough to go round.
I like the shoe analogy..
Old 10-03-2012, 17:47   #182
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I like the shoe analogy..
What is it with women and shoes?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:50   #183
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
What is it with women and shoes?
Shoes don't care what dress size you are
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 17:52   #184
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
No different from lumping everyone together who is over 6' tall & saying they are the normal hight. They can manage things just because they are tall that shorter people couldn't. Doesn't make the problems the shorter people have any less of an issue. Just needs different ways of making things compatible for the people who are not 6' tall.

Or like saying everyone is guaranteed shoes and only providing size 6. For some this will be useless, for others a bit of adjustment will do. However what ATOS are doing is trying to make everyone fit into a size 6 which is impossible as there is not enough to go round.

It is focussing on those in society who need help that is making them the target, whether through stupidity, ignorance or jealousy. Many of these disabled are not equipped to understand why they are being targeted or even defend themselves, yet this obsession with the sins of a few is being paid in terror by the innocent. This Cannot ever be justified.
So do you not think that given the definition of disabled is so lose these days that some people (the ignorant ,stupid,jealous ,I'll add angry to that list) find it difficult to identify disabled people and see many as malingerers or even fakers
Old 10-03-2012, 19:05   #185
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
So do you not think that given the definition of disabled is so lose these days that some people (the ignorant ,stupid,jealous ,I'll add angry to that list) find it difficult to identify disabled people and see many as malingerers or even fakers
What is your true definition of being 'disabled'. Not a dictionary answer, but one that everyone could understand why and how you can say all you have lately on the subject.

Also, your idea of what shouldn't be classed as disabled. Only fair to ask.
Old 10-03-2012, 19:52   #186
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Shoes don't care what dress size you are

Neither do I...

Now what about handbags?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 19:53   #187
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
What is your true definition of being 'disabled'. Not a dictionary answer, but one that everyone could understand why and how you can say all you have lately on the subject.

Also, your idea of what shouldn't be classed as disabled. Only fair to ask.
can you define disabled? only fair to ask .
There is only one definition of disabled but there are many different levels of disability ,what we seem to be contesting within society at the moment is how much a person is disabled and how much that disability warrants no support , some level of support or total support .Good examples are people with HIV or cancer ,both are considered disabled and are protected under the disabilities and equality act ,i would not concider all cancer sufferers and all HIV sufferers as disabled some yes but not all ,the disability act however does which is wrong imo .

Now if you would be so kind as to explain what you mean by this
"why and how you can say all you have lately on the subject."
Old 11-03-2012, 08:57   #188
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The point being this obsession with the few who cheat the system is causing problems for the innocent, particularly those with LD. They may just look slightly different or not speak properly/at all yet they will be targetted by the mindless idiots because of the press and governments fixation on a few. Yes we all know a few who do cheat the system, but I bet you are totally unaware of those who could be out & about when you are at work, or chained to the house due to agoraphobia or be totally dependent on others. They are all needing help but are invisible most of the time.

We are all disabled in one way or another. Even something as simple as not knowing a particular language makes you unable to understand another person, creating a disability for both of you. Medical disability classifications work on the supposition there is a cure - there isn't always.

Nor is this obsession necessarily cost effective. Why for example have some people been called more than once to an ATOS medical when nothing in their condition has changed.

I just wish they would go after the tax avoiders with the same vehemence they have used on those who need help.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48   #189
martyh

Quote:
The point being this obsession with the few who cheat the system is causing problems for the innocent, particularly those with LD. They may just look slightly different or not speak properly/at all yet they will be targetted by the mindless idiots because of the press and governments fixation on a few. Yes we all know a few who do cheat the system, but I bet you are totally unaware of those who could be out & about when you are at work, or chained to the house due to agoraphobia or be totally dependent on others. They are all needing help but are invisible most of the time.

We are all disabled in one way or another. Even something as simple as not knowing a particular language makes you unable to understand another person, creating a disability for both of you. Medical disability classifications work on the supposition there is a cure - there isn't always.

Nor is this obsession necessarily cost effective. Why for example have some people been called more than once to an ATOS medical when nothing in their condition has changed.

I just wish they would go after the tax avoiders with the same vehemence they have used on those who need help.
It's not just about benefit cheats though ,i accept that the official numbers are a small minority compared to the number of people on benefits of one kind or another .We also have to look at the number of people who qualify for disability benefits which has risen dramatically over the last decade of so .Yes a lot of people need help but realistically we can't support all disabled people and hard choices about the type and severity of disabilities have to be made .

Quote:
I just wish they would go after the tax avoiders with the same vehemence they have used on those who need help
Tax avoidance is legal ,you can't go after people if they aren't breaking the law .Loopholes do need to closed but changing the laws to make something illegal that used to be legal is a bigger deal than most people think .There are a whole host of moral and ethical questions raised when something is made illegal purely to get money out of people .
Tax evasion is illegal and people involved in such practices can and do end up in jail ,but proving that they have evaded tax is sometimes very hard and can take years .To be blunt ,but practical ,if the government are going to save money then cutting down on welfare has an immediate effect cutting down on tax evasion or ,tax avoidance will take years
Old 11-03-2012, 12:48   #190
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Quote:
It's not just about benefit cheats though ,i accept that the official numbers are a small minority compared to the number of people on benefits of one kind or another .We also have to look at the number of people who qualify for disability benefits which has risen dramatically over the last decade of so .Yes a lot of people need help but realistically we can't support all disabled people and hard choices about the type and severity of disabilities have to be made .

Tax avoidance is legal
,you can't go after people if they aren't breaking the law .Loopholes do need to closed but changing the laws to make something illegal that used to be legal is a bigger deal than most people think .There are a whole host of moral and ethical questions raised when something is made illegal purely to get money out of people .
Tax evasion is illegal and people involved in such practices can and do end up in jail ,but proving that they have evaded tax is sometimes very hard and can take years .To be blunt ,but practical ,if the government are going to save money then cutting down on welfare has an immediate effect cutting down on tax evasion or ,tax avoidance will take years
So is claiming benefits you are entitled to, yet current opinion brands you a guilty scrounger for having the nerve to claim.

More people are claiming for MH problems since the current government has come to power.
Old 11-03-2012, 13:19   #191
martyh

Quote:
So is claiming benefits you are entitled to, yet current opinion brands you a guilty scrounger for having the nerve to claim.
That's a problem that society has to sort out .I certainly don't brand all claimants as scroungers ,but i do recognize that too many people are being given benefits to the detrement of other members of society

Quote:
More people are claiming for MH problems since the current government has come to power.
Kind of proves my point doesn't it .Under the current system people are getting away with claiming for anything so imo the government are doing right in changing the system
Old 11-03-2012, 13:31   #192
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Kind of proves my point doesn't it .Under the current system people are getting away with claiming for anything so imo the government are doing right in changing the system
Which pretty much sums up it up for me to clearly say that you haven't got a clue, it's just black and white to you. I don't see much point in saying too much as you have a clear opinion on a subject you that haven't got the foggiest idea to what is really happening and how it will affect real people. But as long as you're okay, I'm sure you'll have a lot to say on the subject.
Old 11-03-2012, 14:19   #193
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Which pretty much sums up it up for me to clearly say that you haven't got a clue, it's just black and white to you. I don't see much point in saying too much as you have a clear opinion on a subject you that haven't got the foggiest idea to what is really happening and how it will affect real people. But as long as you're okay, I'm sure you'll have a lot to say on the subject.
Quite clearly you think that every claimant is justified and every claimant should be given money and support which what is so wrong with the system .Not all disabled need support ,that is a fact whether you like it or not .
Old 11-03-2012, 14:44   #194
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Quote:
That's a problem that society has to sort out .I certainly don't brand all claimants as scroungers ,but i do recognize that too many people are being given benefits to the detrement of other members of society

No! Under the current system NEW claims are being put in for MH issues, ironically the hardest to prove to the ATOS people. So under this government MORE people are being afflicted with MH problems. How does this prove the system is achieving its aim?

I know someone who should be claiming and desperately needs the help but pride and the hoops you have to jump through is preventing him trying any more.
Old 11-03-2012, 15:10   #195
martyh

Quote:
No! Under the current system NEW claims are being put in for MH issues, ironically the hardest to prove to the ATOS people. So under this government MORE people are being afflicted with MH problems. How does this prove the system is achieving its aim?

I know someone who should be claiming and desperately needs the help but pride and the hoops you have to jump through is preventing him trying any more.
So what your saying is basically that over the last decade or so there has been an epidemic of mental health issues .Why all of a sudden are so many people being classed as disabled either physical or mental ?Why are more people claiming disability benefits of some kind than are claiming unemployment benefit ?

have a read of this it's a good article imo .

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/br...nefits-debate/