Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1G Switch with Cable Modem and 10/100 Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

1G Switch with Cable Modem and 10/100 Router

Old 30-08-2007, 19:48   #1
dnr
Inactive

dnr is an unknown quantity at this point
1G Switch with Cable Modem and 10/100 Router

I want to put a 1G switch between my media server and my media center. Both systems have 1G network cards. I also want to have them "routed" into my cable modem, which is also supplying the rest of the systems on my network. I have Cat5 installed in 2002, so it should be okay.

I am not sure of the topology of the wiring.
1. Do I attach the cable modem to my Netgear 1000Mbps swich or to the Linksys 10/1000 router?
2. How are the two devices hooked together so that I have 1000Mbps between the 2 systems, but make sure they are connected the other systems and the internet?
dnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2007, 20:36   #2
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them
Re: 1G Switch with Cable Modem and 10/100 Router

The switch will take care of the connections you need, there is no routing as they are all on the same IP networks. What is the switch type? Some are set to have no connections between ports unless you configure them.

The switch should sit behind the router, i.e cable modem <---> linksys <---->switch. It will sort out the different speeds of each NIC as long as it is 1G capable.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 20:37   #3
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

As far as I'm aware you would need :

[ Cable Modem ]----Straight Through Cable-----[ Router ]-----Crossover Cable----[ Switch ]----[ devices ]

Hope this helps,
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 20:38   #4
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

If you connect the Linksys router to the gig switch and have the media server and media center both connected to the switch that should cover what you need. The switch will route directly between the server and center when it needs to without touching the router unless it needs to. Can't help with the cabling though - cable specs aren't my strong point.

Edit: Beaten to it - that'll teach me to leave the reply for ages without clicking the reply button
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 20:53   #5
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernetic_tiger View Post
As far as I'm aware you would need :

[ Cable Modem ]----Straight Through Cable-----[ Router ]-----Crossover Cable----[ Switch ]----[ devices ]

Hope this helps,
A bit clearer than my explanation, you may not need the crossover if the switch can either autodetect or if there is an uplink setting on it.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 21:13   #6
dnr
Inactive

dnr is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 1G Switch with Cable Modem and 10/100 Router

Thanks all for the replies. The switch is the "Netgear - GS108 - 8-Port 10/100/1000 Copper Gigabit Network Switch." (Quoted string from the TigerDirect website). I have both kinds of cables, so we will see when I get the switch.
dnr is offline   Reply With Quote