Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | (Another) networking problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

(Another) networking problem

Old 30-03-2005, 16:27   #16
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: (Another) networking problem

IIRC the network bridge adapter is related to ICS and or bridging between the two networks - ie LAN and ieee1394. You shouldn't need the network bridge if you are just plugging in to a router.

Just had a thought - some routers refuse to pass on pings - a security feature. Has the powercut reset the router into a default configuration that is blocking internal traffic?

net view \\<ip address> may be a more valid test. What does this report on each system?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2005, 17:00   #17
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
You are pinging the correct IP and NOT n.n I hope?
I may be thick but not that thick

(KP/Nemmy/Scott--shaddup! )
Old 30-03-2005, 17:04   #18
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod

MMMmmm........

Well you never mentioned ME
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 17:08   #19
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
Just had a thought - some routers refuse to pass on pings - a security feature. Has the powercut reset the router into a default configuration that is blocking internal traffic?

net view \\<ip address> may be a more valid test. What does this report on each system?
Doesnt like the syntax of that command............only wants words like localgroup, computer..........etc......but I can't get it to actually like the syntax anything I type in

I enabled 'respond to ping on internet port' in the router and tried pinging the laptop .............timed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
MMMmmm........

Well you never mentioned ME
You ain't that cruel!
Old 30-03-2005, 17:08   #20
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
You ain't that cruel!
Only when I'm in a bad mood
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 17:57   #21
Rough.D
Inactive

Rough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful oneRough.D is the helpful one

Quote:

Hhhmmmmmmmm as he backs in to an occupied corner and takes up position
Rough.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 18:35   #22
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough.D
Hhhmmmmmmmm as he backs in to an occupied corner and takes up position
That was just done for humorous effect

..now.........back to my little problem.........both machines can see the router but they cannot connect to each other, in fact the desktop can't even see the laptop.
When the lappy tries to connect to the desktop I get (amongst other words) 'network path cannot be established'............wtf?
Old 30-03-2005, 18:38   #23
Electrolyte01

Quote:
Darn it all!
Old 30-03-2005, 18:49   #24
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

Quote:

..now.........back to my little problem.........
Mandy did mention something about that But i thought you wanted to discuss your network issues ......

Quote:
both machines can see the router but they cannot connect to each other, in fact the desktop can't even see the laptop.
When the lappy tries to connect to the desktop I get (amongst other words) 'network path cannot be established'............wtf?
Ok, have you double/triple/quadruple checked that ALL firewalls are disabled (lets see if we can get these bad boys to ping) Are you running SP2? if so open up your control panel and goto the firewall settings and disable it... Are you running any other firewall software? if so disable it...

Get the ip of the laptop (in a dos prompt type ipconfig) (make sure were using the current IP) also what is the subnet set to?
Goto the desktop do the same (get ip and subnet) (do both machines have the same subnet? and are they both on the same subnet..... should be... but you never know )

From the desktop machine, open a dos prompt and type ping ip.of.laptop.here

if this is still dead.... try it the other way round... there should be no reason that you cant ping an IP address on your network, other than a firewall. It is the only thing that will and can block icmp packets...
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 18:52   #25
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhoenix
Quote:

..now.........back to my little problem.........
Mandy did mention something about that But i thought you wanted to discuss your network issues ......
Hehe...
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 18:58   #26
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
...both machines can see the router but they cannot connect to each other, in fact the desktop can't even see the laptop.
Rammie,

Below is what I would expect from the net view command:
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>net view \\athlon64
Shared resources at \\athlon64

Share name  Type   Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------
Mydocs      Disk
photo       Print           hp photosmart P1000 series
Try this on each machine, once using it's own hostname, once using the other hostname, once using the other IPaddress and finally with no hostname, and post the results. This will establish whether the basic SMB networking is running on each computer.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 19:32   #27
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Thanks guys...I'll try those suggestions later............2 more patients now and then got to get kiddies to bed
Old 30-03-2005, 19:33   #28
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

Well you can do it whilst your patients are relaxing
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 21:12   #29
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhoenix
Well you can do it whilst your patients are relaxing
Oy! Behave!

Right..........( on the laptop-xp home) I type 'command prompt' in the run box.........brings up the black box and I type 'ipconfig'.this produces a reply of :'ipconfig is not a recognised internal or external command'

so I type \windows\system32\ipconfig...............which brings up 'cannot find the path'
I have tried that command with .exe on the end, without the \ at the beginning and also with a \\ after the 32....same results

Right..ping.exe works on the desktop but request times out
The command doesn't work on the lappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>net view \\athlon64
I'm unsure what to type in place of 'Steve'
Old 30-03-2005, 21:13   #30
Electrolyte01

Quote:
I'm unsure what to type in place of 'Steve'