Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Am I being paranoid?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Am I being paranoid?

Old 18-07-2012, 20:18   #1
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Am I being paranoid?

I had a look on the VM website last night to see what the TV packages are like, then twice today Virgin called me (I didn't answer because I was at work but it must have been them because I've only had this sim for a short while and hardly anyone has my new number). Do VM monitor people's web browsing so that they can call people and hassle them?
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2012, 21:02   #2
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: Am I being paranoid?

And, given that they have thousands of hits on their website every day (well, certainly hundreds) how are they supposed to identify exactly who each one is?

Yes, they have your IP and I suppose, technically, they could cross-reference your IP with your user data and then cross-reference that with their, separate, customers database.

Or they could just random (or target) dial a bunch of customers. I know which is easiest to do
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 21:21   #3
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
(I didn't answer because I was at work but it must have been them because I've only had this sim for a short while and hardly anyone has my new number).
So, you don't actually know it was them then?
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 21:23   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

No they do not scan the website in the hope someone with a valid phone number appears to be browsing something they do not at present have in their package.

Just google the phone number and it will point to Virgin Media or Virgin Mobile if it was them.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote