Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Advice on phone for internet browsing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Advice on phone for internet browsing

Old 13-01-2010, 17:22   #1
Crypto
cf.member

Services: Broadband L (30Mb) TV M+ Phone M
Crypto is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice on phone for internet browsing

Hi Folks,

I shall soon be in the market for a new phone and I'm really attracted to the iPhone. However, I don't want to spend as much as is required and am looking for alternatives.

I'm quite drawn to the Nokia 5800 using Virgin but it's really sold as a music player as much as anything else.

I'm looking for a relatively low number of minutes and texts each month but would like decent internet access. A decent camera with flash would be a plus.

Any thoughts please?
Crypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2010, 20:56   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Advice on phone for internet browsing

I have the Nokia 5800 and have had no issues with it and find it good for browsing and I have even used it to post on here before now, the inbuilt wifi adaptor is pretty good as well.

Nokia 5800 0n Virgin mobile tariffs
are in this link I have the £18 150 mins, 500 texts and unlimited broadband package.

Or you can get the HTC HD2 for £30 with 800 mins unlimited texts and unlimted broadband.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 21:05   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I wasn't convinced that the iPhone was worth the price, and if you have a budget and really want to stick to it that's cool, but there's not a day gone by when I've regretted going for the iPhone.

It's everything I wanted/needed and more, I wouldn't be without it now.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 21:08   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Isn't the iPhone free on some subscriptions? (£30 & £35)
Old 13-01-2010, 21:15   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Don't know what it costs now, I think mine was £89 or something. It's not cheap monthly though, maybe that's the OP's concern?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 21:17   #6
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Mine was free (but its the 3G 16g) on 24 month £30 a month contract. I get 600 mins, 500 texts and completely free internet
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 08:55   #7
Crypto
cf.member

Thanks for the replies. I didn't really want to go as high as £30 per month. I currently have a company phone which costs me nothing and I am to retire (redundant) in a couple of months. So, the £18 per month seems more managable.

I am still attracted to the Nokia 5800 but have 2 concerns, one is that the camera is not particularly good ( I don't have a camera) and secondly the free music downloads seem a bit of a waste to me.

Couple of very basic questions:

Does the use of WiFi count towards the monthly allowance of 1GB?

Can I use the phone to connect my laptop to the wonder web? I assume that if that was possible it would count towards the download limit. I get away in my caravan for a week at a time. Some sites offer WiFi but at extortionate rates.

Thanks.
Old 14-01-2010, 09:20   #8
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Wi-Fi won't count towards your monthly 1GB limit - as you would use either your own internet access point for it or some free ones (eg McDonalds). The 1Gb limit only comes in to play when you are accessing the Internet via the mobile network (eg 3G)
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 09:50   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
Thanks for the replies. I didn't really want to go as high as £30 per month. I currently have a company phone which costs me nothing and I am to retire (redundant) in a couple of months. So, the £18 per month seems more managable.

I am still attracted to the Nokia 5800 but have 2 concerns, one is that the camera is not particularly good ( I don't have a camera) and secondly the free music downloads seem a bit of a waste to me.

Couple of very basic questions:

Does the use of WiFi count towards the monthly allowance of 1GB?
No. Any costs involved in WiFi are between you and the WiFi provider. Unless the Mobile operator is also providing the WiFi network you are connected to, they'll have nothing to do with it.

So, if you use your own router, it'll be free. If you go in (say) a restaurant (like Starbucks or McDonalds), you may be charged by that restaurant for access. On the other hand, they may give access free if you buy stuff.

Quote:
Can I use the phone to connect my laptop to the wonder web? I assume that if that was possible it would count towards the download limit. I get away in my caravan for a week at a time. Some sites offer WiFi but at extortionate rates.

Thanks.
Depends on the tariff. Some tariffs specifically forbid the use of laptops. AFAIK T Mobile's Web N Walk (all versions apart from Max) does, and they do apparently check. My advice here is simply to check the small print.

As for browsing. Well, in my experience, the best mobile device for browsing is the iPhone, but it is expensive. If you are planning to use any Nokia phones, the built in browser is OK, rather than Good (although it's been a while since I used it, so it may have changed). You do, however, have the freedom to install other browsers (you don't on the iPhone).

I personally recommend Opera Mini. This is free, does a good job of rendering pages and uses Opera's own proxies which use various methods to reduce the amount of data transmitted (so good for keeping your usage within any allowances).

I believe Mozilla are looking at a version of Firefox for mobiles as well, but at the moment, I can only find a version for the Nokia N900.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 11:54   #10
Crypto
cf.member

Thanks again for the use of WiFi and the tip on Opera Mini. I wasn't aware that one could change the applications in the phone.

As for using the phone connected to my laptop via Bluetooth to receive emails etc, is that classed as a modem?

I've looked through VM's small print and found this:

Unlimited Mobile Internet: Unlimited mobile internet is subject to a fair use allowance of 1GB per month. If your usage exceeds this amount then we reserve the right to charge you for the excessive element of your usage at the per MB data rate for your tariff outlined in our Tariff Table. Unlimited use is within the UK and is for your personal, non-commercial use only. It doesn’t include making internet phone or video calls, peer to peer file sharing, using your phone as a modem, or while you are abroad and any of these uses will be charged at the per MB data rate for your tariff outlined in our Tariff Table.

No mention of connecting to a lap top but.....

Thanks
Old 14-01-2010, 15:18   #11
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Connecting to a laptop would be classed as using the phone as a modem
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 15:53   #12
Crypto
cf.member

Oh pooh!