Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Email completely deleted after recent password problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

An actual solution to spam!

Old 10-06-2004, 01:11   #1
JonathanLH
Inactive

Services: NTL 10Mbit
JonathanLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JonathanLH
Thumbs up An actual solution to spam!

I get at least 100 emails per day through my ntl account, and i got to the stage whereby i would willingly pay to have all the spam deleted.
So i hit google and found http://www.spam-stop.co.uk this company POP3's your email down from ntl, deletes the spam (viewable on their website) then you just POP3 the mail down from their server.
The amazing thing is, it actually works, I was very surprised and best of all it is free atm, but they are thinking of charging £5/month in the future, which i would gladly pay to save at least 30 minutes a day going through spam.
Since i've done this, i've not had any spam. The only thing that was marked as spam when it wasn't was regular mailing list stuff from dabs and tomshardware, so i set those to always allow on the website.
JonathanLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2004, 02:27   #2
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: An actual solution to spam!

I get the same service from Yahoo. I'd never use an ISP based account for my main mail again
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:32   #3
Electrolyte01

Well your lucky, Hotmal is full of stupid spam. I get at least 20 a day, and the thing is theres no "unsubscribe" button, which really ticks me off. Sometimes that button doesn't even work, which gets me really at times.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:19   #4
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte
Well your lucky, Hotmal is full of stupid spam. I get at least 20 a day, and the thing is theres no "unsubscribe" button, which really ticks me off. Sometimes that button doesn't even work, which gets me really at times.
I get more than 20 spam messages a day on my NTL accounts even though I take care with my email addresses and use Mailwasher. The "unsubscribe" button on most sites should be renamed as the "I want even more spam" button, don't use it.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:27   #5
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

I would try Spamnet rather than the above. They charge just over a £1 a month and don't download your email but just removes the offending email from your inbox. The database is composed of their research and from feedback from all spamnet's 1,000,000 users. When a spam is not automatically caught you mark it as spam. This then informs spamnet and with enough votes globally classes it as spam so that it is captured in everyone's inbox.

Works well and captures about 98% of your spam.

You can try it for 30days.

http://www.cloudmark.com/products/spamnet/
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:58   #6
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLH
I get at least 100 emails per day through my ntl account, and i got to the stage whereby i would willingly pay to have all the spam deleted.
So i hit google and found http://www.spam-stop.co.uk this company POP3's your email down from ntl, deletes the spam (viewable on their website) then you just POP3 the mail down from their server.
The amazing thing is, it actually works, I was very surprised and best of all it is free atm, but they are thinking of charging £5/month in the future, which i would gladly pay to save at least 30 minutes a day going through spam.
Since i've done this, i've not had any spam. The only thing that was marked as spam when it wasn't was regular mailing list stuff from dabs and tomshardware, so i set those to always allow on the website.
For £10 a year you could switch to i-websolutions mail servers (when they work?) I'm on their Kestral server so I don't know what the sparrow server problems are doing to pop mail. This marks all spam with a nice {Spam?} at the start of the header. You then set up a rule in your mail app to deal with it as you will. I automatically move it to a junk mail folder for review, you could just delete it at source, but it might just have customer mail in it so I need to check.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 13:26   #7
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

Outlook 2003 blocks 99.9% of spam, this is the ammount of junk sent in the last 4 days
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 16:58   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

There are many free programs that will scan your mail as it comes in - as I have mentioned before I use PopFile.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote