Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 21-04-2015, 12:58   #1606
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

I think the days of logging into systems through different countries and the piracy that has been going on for years are numbered.

There is a difference between piracy and VPN use; people using VPN's pay for the content, pirates don't.

Netflix have consistently squashed rumours on restrictions on VPN use

This is what the Netflix head man thinks on the subject:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...paurkZBnvvpSVl
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2015, 13:12   #1607
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I think it's smart dns users getting caught out as all smart dns does is spoofs your location, your ip is still visible.
A vpn hides both your location and your ip.
I use a vpn and smart dns combo myself only costs £4.70p/m and always get speeds of 21.9mbs from my vpn which is good as my actual speed is 37.6mbs anyway lol.
Using smart dns i get my full speed.
Regarding HBO from what i'm gathering they seem to be catching people out by their credit card registered address. I always recommend using entropay which is a virtual credit card that you can set up for various locations for example you want HULU+ you set your entro settings to usa this will give you a USA address linked to your virtual card.
the master of these things speaks! i knew you'd be able to explain it to me! so it seems like you'll be safe!
Old 21-04-2015, 13:37   #1608
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think it's smart dns users getting caught out as all smart dns does is spoofs your location, your ip is still visible.
A vpn hides both your location and your ip.
I use a vpn and smart dns combo myself only costs £4.70p/m and always get speeds of 21.9mbs from my vpn which is good as my actual speed is 37.6mbs anyway lol.
Using smart dns i get my full speed.
Regarding HBO from what i'm gathering they seem to be catching people out by their credit card registered address. I always recommend using entropay which is a virtual credit card that you can set up for various locations for example you want HULU+ you set your entro settings to usa this will give you a USA address linked to your virtual card.
Here's the thing, though. Netflix always remembers where I am in a series, so it can identify me. If they really wanted to do something about vpn use, is it really the case that they couldn't find a way to track you down?
Old 21-04-2015, 13:40   #1609
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
If they really wanted to do something about vpn use, is it really the case that they couldn't find a way to track you down?

Of course they could track you down if they wanted to. The fact that they don't, speaks volumes.
Old 21-04-2015, 14:07   #1610
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Here's the thing, though. Netflix always remembers where I am in a series, so it can identify me. If they really wanted to do something about vpn use, is it really the case that they couldn't find a way to track you down?
To clear things up vpns are perfectly legal and a lot of businesses and consumers use them to protect their systems and their company.
Companies like hbo, netflix will not block VPNs as they know consumers use them to protect their systems, if they started to block vpns there would be questions asked and no doubt hbo,netflix etc would gain bad publicity in the process.
Smart dns is a different matter altogether whilst they are perfectly legal there is a grey area surrounding the whole smart dns scene.
I had a chat with one of comcasts (xfinity) ceos and they said these exact words "it wouldn't be in our best interests to stop vpn users from accessing our service, we are working on a online only service that we will trial in the USA first with a vision of rolling it out globally and having all content available in all regions we launch in."
Old 21-04-2015, 18:38   #1611
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
vpns are perfectly legal
That's like saying kitchen knives are perfectly legal. It all depends what you do with them.
Old 22-04-2015, 10:38   #1612
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
It's the IP address that is used to determine the location, there isn't another way of spoofing the location.

For those confused on what these services do:

Each time you go to netflix.com it will use a database to convert your broadband IP address into a country so it knows what territory to serve you up. What a smart DNS does is act like a normal DNS server but replace the DNS entries for the streaming service you want to access with a proxy server located in the country that the streaming service serves.

So instead of a lookup for netflix.com resolving to (say) 1.2.3.4 as normal, it will now resolve to (say) 5.6.7.8, which will be the smart DNS company's proxy server. That proxy will then relay your HTTP requests to 1.2.3.4, making netflix.com think that the request originated at the proxy server and serving up the territory for the country where it thinks the proxy server is located, not where it originally came from.

Obviously it would be trivial for Netflix to cut out smart DNS services if they wanted to as they can easily spot the IP addresses of the proxy servers where there are way more subscribers than a normal broadband connection. However, that would impact on their sales and as long as the content owners don't put pressure on them they're happy just to ignore them.
Old 22-04-2015, 12:38   #1613
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
It's the IP address that is used to determine the location, there isn't another way of spoofing the location.

For those confused on what these services do:

Each time you go to netflix.com it will use a database to convert your broadband IP address into a country so it knows what territory to serve you up. What a smart DNS does is act like a normal DNS server but replace the DNS entries for the streaming service you want to access with a proxy server located in the country that the streaming service serves.

So instead of a lookup for netflix.com resolving to (say) 1.2.3.4 as normal, it will now resolve to (say) 5.6.7.8, which will be the smart DNS company's proxy server. That proxy will then relay your HTTP requests to 1.2.3.4, making netflix.com think that the request originated at the proxy server and serving up the territory for the country where it thinks the proxy server is located, not where it originally came from.

Obviously it would be trivial for Netflix to cut out smart DNS services if they wanted to as they can easily spot the IP addresses of the proxy servers where there are way more subscribers than a normal broadband connection. However, that would impact on their sales and as long as the content owners don't put pressure on them they're happy just to ignore them.
Can't they just require a login and find your location/status from their records?
Old 22-04-2015, 13:34   #1614
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Can't they just require a login and find your location/status from their records?
ABC use location technology to determined where you are for their live stream of ABC, this is tricky to get around but a good vpn soon sorts it.
Old 22-04-2015, 13:42   #1615
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Netflix must know who you are to verify you've paid. I do believe they could prevent access to different locations if they wanted to.

However, I do understand that it is being made clear in their revised terms and conditions that watching their material in other jurisdictions will be prohibited. I think a crackdown is imminent.
Old 22-04-2015, 13:57   #1616
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Netflix must know who you are to verify you've paid. I do believe they could prevent access to different locations if they wanted to.

However, I do understand that it is being made clear in their revised terms and conditions that watching their material in other jurisdictions will be prohibited. I think a crackdown is imminent.
Not going to happen those terms have been in their t+cs for mnths, netflix themselves have clearly stated they will not block vpn users.
Old 22-04-2015, 14:05   #1617
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
To clear things up vpns are perfectly legal and a lot of businesses and consumers use them to protect their systems and their company.
Companies like hbo, netflix will not block VPNs as they know consumers use them to protect their systems, if they started to block vpns there would be questions asked and no doubt hbo,netflix etc would gain bad publicity in the process.
Smart dns is a different matter altogether whilst they are perfectly legal there is a grey area surrounding the whole smart dns scene.
I had a chat with one of comcasts (xfinity) ceos and they said these exact words "it wouldn't be in our best interests to stop vpn users from accessing our service, we are working on a online only service that we will trial in the USA first with a vision of rolling it out globally and having all content available in all regions we launch in."
I had a race with Usain Bolt and beat him by a clear second.
Old 22-04-2015, 14:49   #1618
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Back of the shed!
Old 22-04-2015, 14:58   #1619
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
A drink race?
Old 22-04-2015, 15:58   #1620
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

You seem to keep saying this, and, to me, it seems to have a hint of wishful thinking on your part.

We get that you disapprove of these things and don't use them and that's fair enough, but you've made your point.
Closed Thread