Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | help i can't renew my ip address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

help i can't renew my ip address

Old 19-01-2008, 20:40   #1
rjaisgod
Inactive

rjaisgod is an unknown quantity at this point
help i can't renew my ip address

Hi guys i'm new here and i need help, basically i can't renew my ip address, i have a connection to the internet and its fine but im trying to install a wireless router but in order to setup the router the modem cuts the connection and tries to re-establish an internet connection to test the router. the promblem is that the modem says i want a new ip address and the server doesn't respond, ive tried renewing the ip address without the router connected i.e network connections> disable> enable (limited connectivity)>repair but it just times out whilst trying to renew. ive also tried doing it in dos but that times out to. i'm 99% sure the problem lies with Virgin Media but they just tell me to unplug the modem turn everything off and on again ect. but that isnt what i want how am supposed to set everything up if i can't renew the ip address even without the router connected. I'm sick of speaking to an indian call center who arn't that bothered about the problem and who are just reading off of a script. so what can i say to them to make them understand its their problem not mine? thanks guys
rjaisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2008, 20:48   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: help i can't renew my ip address

I'm not sure why you are fixating on the IP address if you are trying to setup a router

It should simply be a case of powering off the modem, unplugging any ethernet or USB connections you've had between your computer, connecting your router's WAN (internet side) ethernet port to the modem, and a computer to the router's LAN (network) port, power modem, let settle, power router, let settle, power computer.

The modem cannot recognise that there is a new device (computer / router / whatever) without it and the device connected to it being power cycled.

If you've been fiddling a lot with the router's settings, try restoring to factory settings, before you do the above.

If you still have problems, please confirm the type of modem you are using for your cable connection, and the type of router you now have. Also indicate if you are able to browse from the computer to the router's admin pages, and what the router is exactly saying in terms of it's lack of connection.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 20:53   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

to the forum.

I am confused as to what is wrong. Are you able to connect to the router, or do you get the "Limited or no connectivity" message from Windows? If so, try a "factory reset" on the router.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 21:24   #4
rjaisgod
Inactive

forget the fact that theres a router involved for a second, i want to refresh my ip address, you would either go through network connections and click repair or go through dos and ipconfig /release/renew. the only way i can get a new address is by rebooting. i think theres a problem with virgin media as the are basically rejecting my request for a new ip.

the reuter

during the set up process the modem or pc tries to communicate with the router by refreshing the internet connection, only it can't do that because it can't obtain a new address.

It should simply be a case of powering off the modem, unplugging any ethernet or USB connections you've had between your computer, connecting your router's WAN (internet side) ethernet port to the modem, and a computer to the router's LAN (network) port, power modem, let settle, power router, let settle, power computer.

ive done that but i get the power, what port its connected to and wireless lights but no internet light, it works but i cant connect a laptop or ps3 to the internet through it. Also ive tried connecting my ethernet cable directly to the laptop and get nothing.

the modem im using is an ntl 250 if that helps and the router is a belkin wireless 802.11G, i know there are issues with this router and VM but ive downloaded a fix for it, as for connecting to the admin pages i go to 192.168.2.1 but just get this page cannot be displayed.
Old 19-01-2008, 21:36   #5
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjaisgod View Post
forget the fact that theres a router involved for a second, i want to refresh my ip address, you would either go through network connections and click repair or go through dos and ipconfig /release/renew. the only way i can get a new address is by rebooting. i think theres a problem with virgin media as the are basically rejecting my request for a new ip.
Why do you need to refresh your IP address? If it is because you are losing the connection, the modem may be faulty. Otherwise, there is no need.

Quote:
the reuter

during the set up process the modem or pc tries to communicate with the router by refreshing the internet connection, only it can't do that because it can't obtain a new address.

ive done that but i get the power, what port its connected to and wireless lights but no internet light, it works but i cant connect a laptop or ps3 to the internet through it. Also ive tried connecting my ethernet cable directly to the laptop and get nothing.

the modem im using is an ntl 250 if that helps and the router is a belkin wireless 802.11G, i know there are issues with this router and VM but ive downloaded a fix for it, as for connecting to the admin pages i go to 192.168.2.1 but just get this page cannot be displayed.
In all likelyhood, if you cannot get to the router's admin page after a factory reset and through a wired connection, the router is broken.

It's also worth noting that if you are not directly connected to the modem, then in all likelyhood, your PC is not using a virgin assigned IP.

Apologies if the next bit is a little patronising. I have no idea of your knowledge, so I am going to explain things basically.

The way that routers work is they take (and use) your Virgin IP. Now, because every piece of equipment connected to the internet needs an IP, and Virgin only issue one per account, the router will issues what are called private IPs (IPs beginning 192 or 172) to the devices attached to it.

When communicating the PC sends data in what are called packets. These packets contain various items such as the source and destination IPs as well as the data itself. The router intercepts these packets and replaces the source IP with it's own IP and sends the data to the modem, which just sends it to the VM network. When a packet is sent back in response, the router intercepts it, and replaces the destination IP with the IP of the computer the packet is intended for.

This is called Network Address Translation (or NAT).

The upshot of all this is that if your PC is attached to a router, and is not getting an IP, then the router may be at fault. Virgin have nothing to do with it, as their network is not involved.

If your PC is attached to the cable modem and is not getting an IP, then the modem or Virgin's network may be at fault.
Old 19-01-2008, 21:55   #6
rjaisgod
Inactive

Why do you need to refresh your IP address? If it is because you are losing the connection, the modem may be faulty. Otherwise, there is no need.

that fact is i should be able to do it and can't so theres a problem with VM right? i cant set up the router because the process of setting it up refreshes the IP automatically once this happens i get limited or no conectivity so i try and repair the connection and i get a message saying cannot renew you ip address please contact your network manager (VM) which ive done three times and they dont understand.

the only way i can get the connection back is by rebooting, ive done this with the router connected as well but can't access the settings because i can't set it up properly for the reason stated above.
Old 19-01-2008, 22:10   #7
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

To renew IP Address:

Click Start>Run>Type cmd>click ok

Type: ipconfig /release then hit Enter

Type: ipconfig /renew then hit Enter again (note the space before the slash on both)

Hope this helps

~Ben B~
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 22:13   #8
homealone

Quote:

that fact is i should be able to do it and can't so theres a problem with VM right? i cant set up the router because the process of setting it up refreshes the IP automatically once this happens i get limited or no conectivity so i try and repair the connection and i get a message saying cannot renew you ip address please contact your network manager (VM) which ive done three times and they dont understand.

the only way i can get the connection back is by rebooting, ive done this with the router connected as well but can't access the settings because i can't set it up properly for the reason stated above.
going through a router your IP address should be assigned via DHCP, if you are assigned one by rebooting then it is working correctly - reset the router to factory settings & try again

you need 'obtain an IP address automatically'

and 'DHCP server enabled' set in the router

then reboot the modem, then the router, then the pc - allow sufficient time for each stage to stabilise before the next, usually about 30seconds
Old 19-01-2008, 22:28   #9
Stuart
-

Quote:

Read the part of my post above about NAT. If your PC is connected to a router, Virgin's network is not involved in assigning IPs to the devices (such as your PC) on your network. The router will.

If the problem is also occuring when the PC is attached directly to the modem, that would suggest there is something on the PC that takes a while to kick in after a reboot, but is preventing DHCP requests. Do you have any firewalls set up?
Old 19-01-2008, 23:06   #10
rjaisgod
Inactive

yeah the problem is occuring while im directly connected, i have a mcafee firewall set up, my pc is not connected to a router its always been a direct one with the modem, in my modem settings i have obtain ip address auto and dns auto checked. when ive disabled and enabled the local area connection i get limited conectivity to clicking repair should renew the ip address but it doesnt it just times out, this is whilst im directly connected no router is involved which suggests its virgins fault however trying to explain it to them is a nightmare as they just say reboot the pc, which does work but the actual cause of the fault is never fixed.
Old 19-01-2008, 23:08   #11
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
yeah the problem is occuring while im directly connected, i have a mcafee firewall set up, my pc is not connected to a router its always been a direct one with the modem, in my modem settings i have obtain ip address auto and dns auto checked. when ive disabled and enabled the local area connection i get limited conectivity to clicking repair should renew the ip address but it doesnt it just times out, this is whilst im directly connected no router is involved which suggests its virgins fault however trying to explain it to them is a nightmare as they just say reboot the pc, which does work but the actual cause of the fault is never fixed.
Did you try this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_b View Post
To renew IP Address:

Click Start>Run>Type cmd>click ok

Type: ipconfig /release then hit Enter

Type: ipconfig /renew then hit Enter again (note the space before the slash on both)

Hope this helps

~Ben B~
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 23:17   #12
rjaisgod
Inactive

yeah i just tried it and got this back.

an error occurred while renewing local area connection. unable to contact your DHCP server. request timed out

and had to reboot
Old 19-01-2008, 23:31   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

At the moment you are blaming Virgin, yet you cannot get an IP issued to your PC from the router, when you are connected to that. The local network side of the router should still work OK, even if the router cannot connect to the modem.

On the basis of the above there is something wrong with your computer's setup, not the router or virgin modem.

Disable the firewall, and reolad the drivers for your ethernet card. See if that makes any difference.
Old 19-01-2008, 23:41   #14
rjaisgod
Inactive

you cannot get an IP issued to your PC from the router, when you are connected to that. The local network side of the router should still work OK, even if the router cannot connect to the modem.

i cannot get an IP when im directly connected to the modem either. i have to reboot to get a new one.
Old 19-01-2008, 23:54   #15
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

If you change the device directly connected to the modem (PC swapped to router, or router swapped back to PC), the device connected and the modem have to be rebooted for the connected device to get an IP. That is by design and not a fault.