Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anti-gay adverts pulled from bus campaign by Boris Johnson

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Anti-gay adverts pulled from bus campaign by Boris Johnson

Old 13-04-2012, 19:52   #91
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Anti-gay adverts pulled from bus campaign by Boris Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
So given that is correct ,which i accept it is ,what should happen with any cure in relation to religions like christianity who have started to accept homosexuality ?
Your question is based on a false premise. Religions like Christianity have not started to accept homosexuality. Certain Christian churches, located almost entirely in post-Christian societies where there is mounting pressure for people to accept a post-Christian, liberal morality, have begun to find ways to re-interpret their beliefs in order to incorporate the views of those outside the religion. This phenomenon, where it, exists, occurs generally within denominations, rather than denominations as a whole setting out to re-write their statements of faith.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2012, 20:19   #92
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Your question is based on a false premise. Religions like Christianity have not started to accept homosexuality. Certain Christian churches, located almost entirely in post-Christian societies where there is mounting pressure for people to accept a post-Christian, liberal morality, have begun to find ways to re-interpret their beliefs in order to incorporate the views of those outside the religion. This phenomenon, where it, exists, occurs generally within denominations, rather than denominations as a whole setting out to re-write their statements of faith.

From what you are saying Chris each church can make it's own rules, accepting ,or re interpreting to apease local wishes .From an outsiders point of view it appears that Christianity is whatever you want it to be
Old 13-04-2012, 20:25   #93
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I thought Jesus was of a bit of a liberal, myself.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 20:43   #94
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
From what you are saying Chris each church can make it's own rules, accepting ,or re interpreting to apease local wishes .From an outsiders point of view it appears that Christianity is whatever you want it to be
I suppose you're right in a way.
it would be nice to follow the written rules to the letter. but you can't do that when nobody really knows what the exact rules are.

they can only have a guess at most of them, and in some cases skirt around the others.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Quote:
Thessalonians 3:10 If a man will not work, he shall not eat.
Conservative.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 21:05   #95
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Written by Paul, not Jesus...

btw, Thes 3:9
Quote:
We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate
From the man himself, Luke 14:13 &14.
Quote:
But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you.

You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just
Liberal
Old 13-04-2012, 23:59   #96
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
You're just mischief-making now ...

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

Quote:
Not really - there is an orthodox set of Christian beliefs that have been widely held for centuries. You're tending to over-state the historical significance of a few modern, liberal, western streams of thought because they happen to be prominent in your particular culture.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 09:10   #97
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

'our particular culture', surely?

Conservative - a liberal who has just been robbed.
Liberal - a conservative who has just been arrested.....
Old 14-04-2012, 09:42   #98
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Me too.

Also I think the bible has been written by men who had agendas of their own that may not correspond with those of it's founding father.
Old 14-04-2012, 09:50   #99
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Me too.

Also I think the bible has been written by men who had agendas of their own that may not correspond with those of it's founding father.
Old 14-04-2012, 10:06   #100
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Also I think the bible has been written by men who had agendas of their own
I've been saying that for years.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 10:17   #101
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
I've been saying that for years.
So have lots of people..
Old 14-04-2012, 10:23   #102
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

As valid a discussion that may be, it would only descend in to this month's overdue religion-bashing thread.

I don't personally know any Christian that spends time campaigning against gays, gay rights etc. They may disapprove of the lifestyle but that's their right. I've literally trusted my life to gay people in the past and not cared about what they get up to in private just as I wouldn't expect anyone to question me about my own lifestyle.

People will react to stories like in the OP but you ignore the rest of the time when billions of us have a "live and let live" attitude.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 12:01   #103
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Absolutely......
Old 14-04-2012, 15:37   #104
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I was going try to post something intelligent, relevant and progressive but couldn't be arsed.... Gays .... I love 'em
Old 17-04-2012, 15:59   #105
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

It is very sad and very dissapointing that people still think that it is ok to think that Homosexuality is sometihng that is not natural and a "sin" and a "sign from the devil", that can be cured

Those sorts of attitudes have nothing to do with religion and more to do very old fashioned values that should stay in the past

Also, how can they do theses adverts when there is a huge wealth gap and a lot of inequality and injustice in the world, surely Jesus would agree?

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I'm not sure how I'd describe them but they're not homophobic. People are far too quick to play the "ooooh, gayist" card these days especially when it comes to anything connected to religion.

I don't see anything in that 'advert' which suggests homosexuality can be 'cured'. It could just as easily refer to someone straight who 'experimented' during their teens or puberty.

Oh and before presumptions start flying about, I don't think the adverts were a good idea. I just object to the notion that you can only have an opinion as long as it doesn't "offend" someone.
Well it is clear that the people behind this advert cannot accept that you can't exactly change you sexual orientation just like that, you are born to be like that and as your body develops you could become like that

Anyway, there are reasons why we don't say anything we like, "this guy is a ****** or all **** are *****, and it not just racism, it also includes swearing as well

You are not forced to offend someone, so there is no need

(Just becuase I have used *, please can you not mistake it for offencive language, I was just showing am example)
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote