Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 21-04-2012, 23:33   #301
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I know, I was just trying my best not to think about him
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2012, 12:05   #302
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 13:35   #303
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I wasnt talking about you dude
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 14:06   #304
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

We appear to be straying (to put it mildly) from the topic - let's try not to....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 19:24   #305
cpomd
Inactive

cpomd is an unknown quantity at this point

Traffic Management practical experience. I was experimenting with Skydrive and Uploaded a lot of files overnight 2200 to1000 and as a result i thought I had been penalized under Traffic Management, even speedtest had low results.
a recorded message said that OL7 and M34 postcodes were experiencing problems. I live adjacent to both postal areas in OL7. Spoke to India and was told I had not been managed even though after 5 hours the speed picked up as you would expect. i also found out that they cannot access the info about other postcodes unless you provide a full postcode! When asked when I could Upload safely she kept on saying I was not restricted at the moment. I pointed out what if I repeated the upload would I get managed again she said to call us agian. My question still is what times can you use your "unlimited Broadband"?
cpomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 19:46   #306
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

without getting into the flap about what constitutes "unlimited" the long and short of it is that you can hammer your connection to your hearts content any time after 2100. Stm limits are in affect by tier from 1000-1500 during the day and 1600-2100 in the evening. If you are on one of the lower tiers and upload 10000 files then you are highly to hit the threshold and the stm will kick in. I will point out that if you hit stm at 20:58, your speed will still be reduced for 5 hours even though your usage after 2100 doesnt count. Try and ration your speed as much as you can or just leave everything uploading over night like I do.

With regards to how much you can download and upload by tier, look here:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable
Old 29-04-2012, 19:47   #307
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomd View Post
Traffic Management practical experience. I was experimenting with Skydrive and Uploaded a lot of files overnight 2200 to1000 and as a result i thought I had been penalized under Traffic Management, even speedtest had low results.
a recorded message said that OL7 and M34 postcodes were experiencing problems. I live adjacent to both postal areas in OL7. Spoke to India and was told I had not been managed even though after 5 hours the speed picked up as you would expect. i also found out that they cannot access the info about other postcodes unless you provide a full postcode! When asked when I could Upload safely she kept on saying I was not restricted at the moment. I pointed out what if I repeated the upload would I get managed again she said to call us agian. My question still is what times can you use your "unlimited Broadband"?
Old STM - http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tm-table-fu-large.jpg

New STM - http://www.virginmedia.com/images/table_30mb_800px2.jpg
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 19:54   #308
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

thanks hugh, so 30mbit STM has actually gone down, not stayed the same as ben said.

previous 10gig in day now 7 gig.
previous 5 gig in evening now 3.5gig.

the 60mbit tier has the same download limits as the old 30mbit, so what was ben on about saying it would increase?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 20:20   #309
General Maximus
Ran Away

afaik the 60mbit limits are for the current 30mbit tier until everyone has been doubled
Old 30-04-2012, 02:26   #310
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

those download limits are the doubled ones.

I quoted the 30mbit and 60mbit limits for doubled tiers.

so the new 30meg limit is lower than the old 30meg limit and the new 60meg limit is the same as the old 30 meg limit.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 02:37   #311
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

i have been told that the 120mb package will NOT be unlimited
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 08:32   #312
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
those download limits are the doubled ones.

I quoted the 30mbit and 60mbit limits for doubled tiers.

so the new 30meg limit is lower than the old 30meg limit and the new 60meg limit is the same as the old 30 meg limit.
great, so they have doubled everyones speed for free and now we can download less than we could before. A bit of backwards thinking going on there if you ask me

They had might as well bang everyone up to 1gbit for the press but tell us we can only download 500mb/day
Old 30-04-2012, 08:40   #313
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Well, if you've been doubled from 30 to 60mb (as I have) then the download limit is as it was. However I agree that people considering joining VM should read the small print carefully. Problem is, how many do?
Old 30-04-2012, 08:58   #314
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
Well, if you've been doubled from 30 to 60mb (as I have) then the download limit is as it was. However I agree that people considering joining VM should read the small print carefully. Problem is, how many do?
it's not good enough. When they announced the stm policy would be changing (but before they released the detail) they told everyone not to worry and that the new limits would be inline/reflect the speed doubling. It is common sense to me that double the speed = double the allowance but I could see them, doing it x1.5. Keeping it the same is a joke.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:03   #315
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not saying it's fair or even acceptable, but given their track record, are any of us really surprised?