Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 21-04-2012, 13:42   #286
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I really dont understand "fan boys" (or girls if there is any here) mentality just because product a been bad for them its always bad..
I thought that VM was the dogs dangly bits until they threw all caution to the wind and released 100Mbps unlimited. That was/still is more than their network can support given the main/only reason to choose 100Mbps other than willy waving is to support high speed downloads of sizeable amounts of data and/or heavy duty torrent seeding through a VPN. Had they brought in working traffic management that prevented constant full pelt torrent seeding I'd probably still be a fan boy. They didn't and the result is a huge and growing number of congested areas. The newly introduced STM helps - it means that a dedicated seeder can only take a quarter of the bandwidth allocated to 200+ others during STM hours once their threshold is breached. The capacity improvements will take that to 1/8th and may well be sufficient - I won't be on their network to find out though.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2012, 14:01   #287
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I think VM should keep the upload speeds on these new configs and downgrade existing 100mbit customers to 5mbit upload, combine that with 2 new channels for each area so 4 US's in pairs of 2 bonded, and of course 8 DS's. Take the congestion between 100mbit launch and the fix as a lesson learned.

To me there is no substitute for capacity, the recent new DS's in my area have improved the performance however there isnt leg room on it, today downstream congestion is back albeit currently light so it wasnt enough to alleviate weekend load which probably means my neighbour on 100mbit isnt hitting max speeds in the week at my guess never mind today (havent checked with him yet), and this is the situation before existing docsis1 guys moved across and only a few weeks of bottom tier docsis3 sales as well as not everyone upgraded double speeds yet.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 17:46   #288
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Yet. There wasn't any on a couple of VM's Tiers until recently.

Once again, incorrect. Usage limits, FUP and STM have all been in place on all VM tiers for at least six years. The only exception was 50mb and 100mb did not have STM for one or two years, but still had the FUP.

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
How many users are there on an optical node? The target is 500 but in some areas it could be 2,000 in others around 250. I'll stay with the 500; multiply by 2 for the shared capacity across 2 nodes. So there is 2 meg sort of uncontended available if everyone is online simultaneously.
Bingo. Openreach's equivalent target on FTTC is 15 or 30mbps per customer depending on tariff.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 17:48   #289
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

difference is that BTs is definite and in writing whereas, as seph said, it could be 2000 users in which case if would 0.5mb I think?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:14   #290
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Once again, incorrect.
Really?

Quote:
The only exception was 50mb and 100mb did not have STM for one or two years....
And the subject of this thread is? Yep... STM. So I was 100% right! So please don't try and tell me what I do and don't know
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:31   #291
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Not sure what this arguement is about but:

1) 50mbit wasnt stm'd on initial rollout but it defo has been since I have had it for the last 2 years.
2) I am not sure when 100mbit first started rolling out but that also was stm free which was sweet up and till 2nd April.

I think it is fair to assume that 200mbit will be stm free while they rollout it out over a year or so and then that will be subjected to stm as well.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:36   #292
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Not sure what this arguement is about but:

1) 50mbit wasnt stm'd on initial rollout but it defo has been since I have had it for the last 2 years.
2) I am not sure when 100mbit first started rolling out but that also was stm free which was sweet up and till 2nd April.

I think it is fair to assume that 200mbit will be stm free while they rollout it out over a year or so and then that will be subjected to stm as well.
You only have to look at who's entered the thread, and there's your answer.

Would VM dare to recreate this folly, mon General?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:38   #293
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

STM won't exist when 200Mb is released, all tiers will be affected by its replacement.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 20:08   #294
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
You only have to look at who's entered the thread, and there's your answer
If you are referring to Ignition then I welcome him with open arms (in a non-gay way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
STM won't exist when 200Mb is released, all tiers will be affected by its replacement.
Have we got an eta on when this new bit-level thing is coming out? I know it is going to monitor all traffic full stop so are we going to be giving monthly usage caps to stick to or something?
Old 21-04-2012, 20:46   #295
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Quote:
You only have to look at who's entered the thread, and there's your answer
If you are referring to Ignition
I could be wrong but I took this to refer to a poster with a much much harder to pronounce id

The one who corrected my half remembered BT FTTC target of 10Mbps dedicated backhaul per customer to 15-30Mbps per customer.

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Really?

And the subject of this thread is? Yep... STM. So I was 100% right! So please don't try and tell me what I do and don't know
Apart from being unable to even read the title of the thread which is "Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd"...... Something rather wider than just the STM.
Old 21-04-2012, 21:56   #296
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I could be wrong but I took this to refer to a poster with a much much harder to pronounce id
I know, I was just trying my best not to think about him
Old 21-04-2012, 22:01   #297
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Hmmm

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 22:25   #298
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Ahhh..
Unrequited love maybe?
Old 21-04-2012, 22:38   #299
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Ahhh..
Unrequited love maybe?
dont get me started
Old 21-04-2012, 22:45   #300
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Apart from being unable to even read the title of the thread which is "Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd"...... Something rather wider than just the STM.
A fair point
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote