Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 03-04-2012, 22:19   #181
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

7gb.

1000k = 1mb
1000mb = 1gb (in your case 7000mb = 7gb)
1000gb = 1tb
1000tb = 1pb
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2012, 22:20   #182
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairhoyle View Post
so what you are saying is that the speed results that the website is getting from VM are not reliable?
My experience with TBB when I was on 50Mbps was that it never read much over 30Mbps for me and that was borne out by checking what my Tomato router was measuring. I never did get to the bottom of it because speedtest.net alsway showed 50Mbps (or at least did until (I'm guessing here) VM sold 100Mbps to a torrent freak then I was lucky to get 20Mbps anywhere so I downgraded to 10Mbps).
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:30   #183
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

so is 7gb a day ok ?
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:41   #184
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

OK for what? VM won't moan about it if that's what you mean. Your previous months average was 2GB per day.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10   #185
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dee 11 View Post
so is 7gb a day ok ?
Is around 210Gb a month which isn't a massive amount, as long as it legal downloads then your fine.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06   #186
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

As it's a major change to VM broadband services, shouldn't this get a news article of it own subject on the main page? Would be handy as no one got any warning about it.
Old 05-04-2012, 19:49   #187
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
As it's a major change to VM broadband services, shouldn't this get a news article of it own subject on the main page? Would be handy as no one got any warning about it.
Unfortunately it seems that nobody knows what the news section should be for around here! I mentioned a few months ago about this, the moderators should really be moving threads such as these to the right sections. In fact this should be stickied here, and duplicated in the news section.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 19:58   #188
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah that is a good point, enough people ask questions about traffic management and we seem to have a neverending debate over it
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 21:16   #189
Ken Jude
Inactive

Ken Jude is on a distinguished roadKen Jude is on a distinguished road

I believe the STM rates are still being applied at cutting back by 75%, at least here in Welwyn Garden City.

I've just been watching the baseball for 3 hours. Just done a Speedtest.net test and I'm running at 7.92 Mbps which is pretty much spot on 25% of what I usually obtain when it's running at full speed on my XL30 (to be doubled to 60) connection.

So what happened to the 50% reduction?!
Ken Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 21:44   #190
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of

I'm still getting hammered after just an hour of TV. iPlayer becomes unusable. God I hate VM and their lies.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 22:04   #191
Ken Jude
Inactive

Ken Jude is on a distinguished roadKen Jude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jude View Post
I believe the STM rates are still being applied at cutting back by 75%, at least here in Welwyn Garden City.

I've just been watching the baseball for 3 hours. Just done a Speedtest.net test and I'm running at 7.92 Mbps which is pretty much spot on 25% of what I usually obtain when it's running at full speed on my XL30 (to be doubled to 60) connection.

Just been speaking to Calum at the helpdesk who works in this country. Must remember to buy a Euromillions ticket tomorrow as the stars are clearly aligned in my favour! He spoke to his second line.

Apparently the old STM rates are still in force until your area has been doubled. So even though the table on the website says XL30 is cut by 50% from April 2nd, in fact it only goes to 50% once you have been doubled to XL60. Until then, XL30 remains at 75%.

Accepting the above, it makes the table they published complete B/S really. They are masters at digging holes for themselves.
Ken Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 22:23   #192
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook1984 View Post
God I hate VM and their lies.
Such as? (Specifically, in this context.)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 23:42   #193
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

VM stated on their forums these arent rolled out yet except in a few areas but will be over coming weeks.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 00:57   #194
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jude View Post

when i had my new virgin instillation with tv before a month ... i asked the engineer if will reduce the speed by watching tv all day
he said to me NO ..dont worry because tv use different frequencies

i dont have the time to stay all day with TV so i am surprising reading that watching tv will slow down the broaband
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:25   #195
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
when i had my new virgin instillation with tv before a month ... i asked the engineer if will reduce the speed by watching tv all day
he said to me NO ..dont worry because tv use different frequencies

i dont have the time to stay all day with TV so i am surprising reading that watching tv will slow down the broaband
I believe they where talking about watching it online via their broadband connection.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote