Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | best router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

best router?

Old 30-04-2006, 21:29   #31
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: best router?

This might be of interest to someone.

Previously Unhackable: DD-WRT Now available on the WRT54G v5 and WRT54GS v5
Old 30-04-2006, 21:41   #32
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society

The problem is that it still requires hardware modifications, which just aren't an option for a lot of people. Sadly.
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 17:12   #33
SN2600
Inactive

SN2600 is an unknown quantity at this point

In case the info helps anyone else, I got a WRT54G (not speedbooster) in the end, and very pleased with it I am.

It's on the ground floor front room at the mo in a typical Edwardian terrace house, and I'm getting a full speed connection two floors up in the loft, at the rear of the house, and good speeds at the bottom of the garden. Set up was dead easy even for a novice, and sorting out the security was no problem.

The only glitch I did have was I tried to use the start up CD to set it up as instructed, and it hung partway through each time - in the end I used the set up instructions in the user guide.
SN2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 17:54   #34
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN2600
In case the info helps anyone else, I got a WRT54G (not speedbooster) in the end, and very pleased with it I am. It's on the ground floor front room at the mo in a typical Edwardian terrace house, and I'm getting a full speed connection two floors up in the loft, at the rear of the house, and good speeds at the bottom of the garden. Set up was dead easy even for a novice, and sorting out the security was no problem. The only glitch I did have was I tried to use the start up CD to set it up as instructed, and it hung partway through each time - in the end I used the set up instructions in the user guide.
Great hardware isnit it?

I got one about 2 days, ago, took my WRK model back as it was stupid, disconnected all the time etc...

The WRT54G V5 of mine is really good, i don't see why i'd need hacked firmware on this model, albeit i wanted to have a wifi hotspot for the people down the street to access my server from (they have no internet connection, just old wireless hardware)
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 21:06   #35
SN2600
Inactive

SN2600 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, meant to say it was a V5.

I must admit to one bit of stupidity though - my fault, not Linksys', but I'll mention it, again in case anyone else is looking for info! The first run through the setup CD it hung because it was trying to autodetect the NTL settings, and I was too quick off the mark for NTL - as I understand it, the account wasn't fully set up and running. The one quibble I'd have with the setup wizard is there isn't an exit or cancel button - maybe it can't be done for some reason, I don't know. Anyway, I had to reset the (half configured) router to start again, got distracted, did the reset wrong, and corrupted the firmware (Doh!).

Still, a quick investigate on Linksys' website got me into the firmware set up routine - very straightforward - and shortly after all was happy again!
SN2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 15:52   #36
gazzer
Inactive

gazzer is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i have the WRT54GS v4 with speed booster.
am after some help on it if poss folks.........
i run a dc server online and ive had some wally keep attacking me.
everything web side freezes then i lose all modem functions and have to reboot modem and router again.
it has been a bit of a pain, as i assume this is a dos attack against me.
my question is is it possible in this router to protect ones self against such attacks and where on earth on setup pages can i find what ip has been doing this. (and is it possible to bounce all pings back at whoever it is)
cheers in advance all you techies.
gazz
gazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 13:26   #37
VortexBoy
Inactive

VortexBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Netgear WGR614 v9 router provided by Virgin Media and all is fine except there's a spot in my house where the signal is only average at best.

Is this a case of needing a different/better router and is this a known problem with this router?

The distance from the router to the problem area is around 20 ft.
There are some internal walls in between the 2 points but there are other areas of the house where this is so and the signal is excellent.

What would you recommend?
VortexBoy is offline   Reply With Quote