Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 28-09-2013, 14:34   #4021
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
So that analysis of mine can't be confirmed. You seem to be on the same line card and CMTS because nothing's changed.

Did you have to set up a new TBB or was the red bloxck an overnight outage?
I did not need to set up a new graph, it went down while I was at work?

Btw this is my ping test, I assume that is right on the money?

Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2013, 16:21   #4022
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

That ping looks a little bit high tbh.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 17:29   #4023
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

It's twice as high as it should be, IMO. So not good.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 17:36   #4024
Risco
Inactive

Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It's twice as high as it should be, IMO. So not good.
Mmm, how do I get this resolved?
Old 28-09-2013, 18:30   #4025
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Risco - I take that back.

Pingtest said you were <50 miles from Maidenhead (my pingtest says the same and I am) . But I see that you're in Maidstone and that distance has to be at least 70 miles.

When I ping Maidstone on speedtest.net, I get 115 ms! So your 34 ms is actually good.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 19:32   #4026
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Risco - I take that back.

Pingtest said you were <50 miles from Maidenhead (my pingtest says the same and I am) . But I see that you're in Maidstone and that distance has to be at least 70 miles.

When I ping Maidstone on speedtest.net, I get 115 ms! So your 34 ms is actually good.
Phew!
Old 28-09-2013, 20:02   #4027
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

This is what I got.
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

oops sorry just seen thats to MK and not Maidenhead let me re-run.

Here we go to Maidenhead

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

So you guys are a little bit high IMHO.
Old 28-09-2013, 20:17   #4028
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
This is what I got.

oops sorry just seen thats to MK and not Maidenhead let me re-run.

Here we go to Maidenhead

So you guys are a little bit high IMHO.
How far away are you from the respective servers?
Old 28-09-2013, 20:23   #4029
Jumping
Inactive

Hmm it say distance at the bottom but let me check as it sounds a bit less than it should be, ok the distances at the bottom of the results aren't to far off MK is 342miles the shortest drivable route and Maidenhead 370.

So im a fair bit further away than you.
Old 28-09-2013, 21:48   #4030
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Indeed, the highest ping you should ever get on VM's network to those sites is about 30ms, and that's on the furthest reaches of their network. The closer you are, the less you should get.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 01:10   #4031
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Indeed, the highest ping you should ever get on VM's network to those sites is about 30ms, and that's on the furthest reaches of their network. The closer you are, the less you should get.
So what should I do about it?
Old 29-09-2013, 11:12   #4032
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Figure out if you care or not, then figure out what's causing it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:37   #4033
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Figure out if you care or not, then figure out what's causing it.
Well I care because I play games online. So instead of giving cryptic replies, point me in the right direction please!
Old 29-09-2013, 17:57   #4034
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Well I care because I play games online. So instead of giving cryptic replies, point me in the right direction please!
He's not being cryptic, he's just not opening a can of worms unless it's necessary. Tracing the cause of high pings can be a bit of an effort and it's usually something you have little control over.

The best thing to do is pathping to something you know has a higher ping than it should, that'll tell you where the extra latency is coming from. If it's not the first hop, it's something beyond your control. If it's not on Virgin's network, it's beyond their control (to a degree).
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 18:13   #4035
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
He's not being cryptic, he's just not opening a can of worms unless it's necessary. Tracing the cause of high pings can be a bit of an effort and it's usually something you have little control over.

The best thing to do is pathping to something you know has a higher ping than it should, that'll tell you where the extra latency is coming from. If it's not the first hop, it's something beyond your control. If it's not on Virgin's network, it's beyond their control (to a degree).
Here is my traceroute to bbc.co.uk
Quote:
traceroute: Warning: www.bbc.co.uk has multiple addresses; using 212.58.246.93
traceroute to www.bbc.net.uk (212.58.246.93), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 * * *
2 * * *
3 basl-core-2b-ae8-707.network.virginmedia.net (81.96.2.249) 11.735 ms 10.630 ms 12.137 ms
4 popl-bb-1b-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net (81.96.0.149) 10.581 ms 10.083 ms 21.599 ms
5 nrth-bb-1b-et-700-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.175.53) 12.116 ms 13.084 ms 18.455 ms
6 tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.174.18) 13.808 ms 13.895 ms 14.098 ms
7 pos6-1.rt0.thdo.bbc.co.uk (212.58.239.237) 15.244 ms 16.144 ms 13.840 ms
8 * * *
9 ae0.er01.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk (132.185.254.93) 19.601 ms 18.998 ms 18.229 ms
10 132.185.255.164 (132.185.255.164) 20.018 ms 18.613 ms 20.296 ms
11 bbc-vip014.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk (212.58.246.93) 15.795 ms 16.353 ms 15.804 ms