Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

Old 10-07-2012, 16:55   #211
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

Have had the double download for a while and when everything went down for 2 or 3 hours (phone and BB) today i'd hoped for it coming back up with 10mb on the modem, no luck though
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2012, 23:41   #212
MaXiMiZe
Inactive

Services: TV M, BB XL, Phone L
MaXiMiZe is an unknown quantity at this point

So I called VM and they put the 60Mb through but told me that I may not get the speed if the area has not been upgraded (laying down new lines etc). I know for a fact that no one else in my area has 60Mb as they haven't upgraded everyone automatically.I checked the modem config pages and I am on 60Mb but its not consistent and very fluctuating as I believe they have not still properly upgraded the necessary equipment. Guy on phone said end of July is the deadline for the proper upgrade.
MaXiMiZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12   #213
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

they can provision you for it which means they tell your modem it is allowed to download at 60mbits but it can only do it if the capacity is there on the network. It is like me saying I have changed the law and the speed limit is now 100mph, but if all the roads are short. narrow single lane roads it just aint gonna happen.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:13   #214
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

VM aren't laying down any new lines, its just adding more channels on existing ones.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:05   #215
Eeeps
cf.addict

Eeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
VM aren't laying down any new lines, its just adding more channels on existing ones.
So what happens if there isn't the capacity to add more channels to a cable segment?

I guess that any cable segment has about 30 downstream channels available for broadband (assuming 880Mhz bandwidth, 8Mhz channels with 80 used for broadcast services).

That's a total downstream capacity of 1.5Gb/s.

Say that the average BB speed is 50Mb/s (after doubling) and a 50/1 contention is used.
That gives 1500 modems per cable segment.

I bet they can't ensure that without splitting the segments in more populated areas.
Eeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 16:06   #216
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

250 homes passed per segment used to be targetted, some US companies are already running at 150 or below

Average speed before doubling was somewhere around 12-16 so I highly doubt it's going to hit 50 anytime soon.
Old 11-07-2012, 21:44   #217
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

where you get this 250 figure from? rollout in leics was targeted at way higher then that on rollout.

incidently my download performance is shot again, 10-20mbit evening and doesnt max out earlier in the day either.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 22:31   #218
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

That's an interesting (to me) double packet loss spike just before 2:00am on your chart - I have exactly the same on mine and Leicester is a fair way off from Northampton.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:26   #219
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
where you get this 250 figure from? rollout in leics was targeted at way higher then that on rollout.
A wise man once uttered it in the mists of time
Old 12-07-2012, 17:25   #220
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
That's an interesting (to me) double packet loss spike just before 2:00am on your chart - I have exactly the same on mine and Leicester is a fair way off from Northampton.
I had exactly the same and I'm in Cheltenham, so its not localised.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:35   #221
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Happened yesterday too, but was nothing to do with VM then
Old 12-07-2012, 23:38   #222
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
I think there upgrading the network in my area now, last couple of days the Internet has been down in the day from about 10 till 3. Plus July onwards Bolt is saying.
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 07:46   #223
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I'd guess at it being a fault. We had an interim upgrade last month and everybody in the area got letters warning of potential outages. As it turned out there were a couple of very short breaks in the internet service - no idea if TV was affected.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 08:30   #224
nigelmclelland
Inactive

Services: Internet VIVID 150Mb Tv M, Phone - Talk weekends.
nigelmclelland is on a distinguished roadnigelmclelland is on a distinguished road

Lets have a .PDF for heavens sake all this pallarva could be going on for a year say .......
nigelmclelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 11:22   #225
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I'd guess at it being a fault. We had an interim upgrade last month and everybody in the area got letters warning of potential outages. As it turned out there were a couple of very short breaks in the internet service - no idea if TV was affected.
Ah ok, have most people on here that have been upgraded had these letters then?
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote