Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo Hidden features that suck!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tivo Hidden features that suck!

Old 19-03-2012, 19:14   #91
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: Tivo Hidden features that suck!

Ewww
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2012, 09:02   #92
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

I am starting to think that the world will end if we don`t all sing Tivos praises. It will be up of an Oscar next Along with a Nobel peace prize. Get a life its a PVR not the next generation of pacemakers
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 09:26   #93
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I am starting to think that the world will end if we don`t all sing Tivos praises. It will be up of an Oscar next Along with a Nobel peace prize. Get a life its a PVR not the next generation of pacemakers
Rumor has it that the next software update will allow the TiVo to perform open heart surgery
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 09:27   #94
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Strange you mention next generation pacemakers as l have a state of the art ICD fitted.
Old 20-03-2012, 09:49   #95
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Or want to watch a live event, but you knew that already.
You can still watch it while it is being recorded. And even if you missed the start, you can still rewind it while it is being recorded. Yes a reminder would be a good addition, but it's hardly a big issue.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kop32 View Post
Perhaps then your used to settling for second best Carl?,I on the other hand am not (I record live Football etc)
And exactly why can't you do that with the Tivo?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 10:04   #96
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
You can still watch it while it is being recorded. And even if you missed the start, you can still rewind it while it is being recorded. Yes a reminder would be a good addition, but it's hardly a big issue.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

And exactly why can't you do that with the Tivo?
Tim,
Read #85,you can record live sport etc but nine times out of ten if the program overruns you miss the end of the event,or even the beginning of the next program if you are recording it,this,I have been reliably informed is due to the lack of a dynamic EPG in TiVo,but you probably knew that already........
Old 20-03-2012, 10:17   #97
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

If you try to record a live event on Tivo, it will (unless you tell it not to) ask you if you want to add ONE HOUR end padding. Add to this the fact that you can extend that padding to something like FIVE HOURS if you want to and there is then no absolute necessity for a dynamic EPG. (Useful, yes. Necessary, no.)
Old 20-03-2012, 10:23   #98
kop32
cf.addict

TiVo has been marketed as the future of PVR's,now if not having a dynamic EPG is the future then I for one will continue to live in the past with my "old" Sky +HD box's,not sure how I will manage.....
Old 20-03-2012, 10:25   #99
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Tim,
Read #85,you can record live sport etc but nine times out of ten if the program overruns you miss the end of the event,or even the beginning of the next program if you are recording it,this,I have been reliably informed is due to the lack of a dynamic EPG in TiVo,but you probably knew that already........
I asked the question about a dynamic EPG a couple of months ago, and was told that it is being developed at the moment.

The Sky+HD box doesn't have a dynamic EPG either, but you probably knew that already.......

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
If you try to record a live event on Tivo, it will (unless you tell it not to) ask you if you want to add ONE HOUR end padding. Add to this the fact that you can extend that padding to something like FIVE HOURS if you want to and there is then no absolute necessity for a dynamic EPG. (Useful, yes. Necessary, no.)
It is necessary. But at least there is a way of adding the padding until it is available.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 10:26   #100
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

It is not the Best PVR on the market AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED. When & only when the two items on the V+ are added then it will become my main PVR. If that makes it the best I have no idea not tried them all . Perhaps the lack of a dynamic EPG , will hold it back from number one.

As for making sure it stays ( Carl a number of posts back), if something better comes along I would drop it like a hot brick, lets be honest that applies to Virgin & every other company/ product the is in the market
Old 20-03-2012, 10:32   #101
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
TiVo has been marketed as the future of PVR's,now if not having a dynamic EPG is the future then I for one will continue to live in the past with my "old" Sky +HD box's,not sure how I will manage.....
l think some people are becoming too obsessed with this dynamic EPG because as Carl says there is a simple option to extend recordings and if you think something is going to over-run then you can even extend the recording time during the programme and for the vast majority of people that is good enough.

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Quote:
It is not the Best PVR on the market AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED. When & only when the two items on the V+ are added then it will become my main PVR. If that makes it the best I have no idea not tried them all . Perhaps the lack of a dynamic EPG , will hold it back from number one.

As for making sure it stays ( Carl a number of posts back), if something better comes along I would drop it like a hot brick, lets be honest that applies to Virgin & every other company/ product the is in the market
Well everybody is entitled to a opinion but methinks you are way over the top with your everyday constant criticisms of the Tivo.
Old 20-03-2012, 10:32   #102
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
But if you are recording the the program following the live event you will get nothing!
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 10:38   #103
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Well everybody is entitled to a opinion but methinks you are way over the top with your everyday constant criticisms of the Tivo.[/QUOTE

Just trying to bring some perspective to the constant praise from certain members. When every any one says it does not meet there needs. Bricks and tons come to mind.
Old 20-03-2012, 10:44   #104
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
TiVo has been marketed as the future of PVR's.
Really? Where? I have seen no such marketing.
Quote:
now if not having a dynamic EPG is the future then I for one will continue to live in the past with my "old" Sky +HD box's,not sure how I will manage.....
Well I am my fellow Tivo owners have managed for the last 12 years without one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
The Sky+HD box doesn't have a dynamic EPG either, but you probably knew that already.......
Really? kop32 seems to think it does Actually, I thought it did too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
But if you are recording the the program following the live event you will get nothing!
Erm... really? So I couldn't...

1. set a manual recording when I know how "late" the channel is running
2. sit up and wait for the programme to start and then record it.

Yes, it's a pain and yes a dynamic EPG would prevent the problem, but given that it has only happened to me once in the last year or more, then it's not really that big a problem.

Moutains and molehills.
Old 20-03-2012, 10:49   #105
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Well everybody is entitled to a opinion but methinks you are way over the top with your everyday constant criticisms of the Tivo.[/QUOTE

Just trying to bring some perspective to the constant praise from certain members. When every any one says it does not meet there needs. Bricks and tons come to mind.
Well l have not praised everything as it would be nice to have multiroom streaming, the TiVo tablet app and Over-The-Top services like Lovefilm & Netflix for TiVo so its not one hundred per cent yet but tell me anything that is one hundred per cent perfect in life.