Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC TV guide wrong? - Can a VM person check?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dynamic updates..

Old 26-02-2012, 23:23   #1
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve
Dynamic updates..

I noticed today the football ran over and a few people are shouting about the fact the TiVo EPG did not update to reflect this.

I'm a Sky customer and my EPG was updated to reflect this. Surely as TiVo's EPG costs users £3 a month to use they should at least prepare for big sporting events.

Its not unusual for cup game to hit extra time etc, common sense says have a team or at least 1 person ready send code to update. I mean even if you're not going to update on a daily basis major sporting events should be covered. Lets not forget you're charging customers to view the EPG.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2012, 23:47   #2
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Dynamic updates..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post
I noticed today the football ran over and a few people are shouting about the fact the TiVo EPG did not update to reflect this.

I'm a Sky customer and my EPG was updated to reflect this. Surely as TiVo's EPG costs users £3 a month to use they should at least prepare for big sporting events.

Its not unusual for cup game to hit extra time etc, common sense says have a team or at least 1 person ready send code to update. I mean even if you're not going to update on a daily basis major sporting events should be covered. Lets not forget you're charging customers to view the EPG.
The TiVo EPG is updated daily, but it's not currently possible to update "on the fly". It's controlled by TiVo US and not in Virgins direct control. Updates take about 12-24 hours to process.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 23:56   #3
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
The TiVo EPG is updated daily, but it's not currently possible to update "on the fly". It's controlled by TiVo US and not in Virgins direct control. Updates take about 12-24 hours to process.
Even if it was manually updated by VM for the sporting channels or any channel(s) that have an event on, that would be a good idea?
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 23:58   #4
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Quote:
If an update takes 12-24 hours you may aswell not bother for the Olympics or the big football events this year. VM need to insist on a dedicated Euro2012 and Olympic team to update the EPG's else you're in for a rough ride.

How many Euro 2012 games will go to penalty's? How many Olympic events will run over or start late etc? I know for a fact Sky already have this covered.
Old 27-02-2012, 00:00   #5
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor06 View Post
Even if it was manually updated by VM for the sporting channels or any channel(s) that have an event on, that would be a good idea?
Yes, but I think VM want to have it dynamic at some point, it's just currently it's not possible.

TiVo would have to make a network connection to get the update too.
Old 27-02-2012, 00:03   #6
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yes, but I think VM want to have it dynamic at some point, it's just currently it's not possible.

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm TiVo has a 10Mb internet connection built in..Don't you remember the big song and dance made about it?

Sky only have a 1 way Satellite connection on a lot of boxes and they manage it.
Old 27-02-2012, 00:03   #7
jtaylor06
Inactive

jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I suppose that would be no problem being that it has a dedicated internet connection already, I'm guessing it's just awaiting TiVo to implement the code?

Edit: SkyFTW beat me to it, albeit accidentally falling asleep with his finger still on the "M" key
Old 27-02-2012, 00:04   #8
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm TiVo has a 10Mb internet connection built in..Don't you remember the big song and dance made about it?

Sky only have a 1 way Satellite connection on a lot of boxes and they manage it.
Are you drunk?
Old 27-02-2012, 00:05   #9
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I suppose that would be no problem being that it has a dedicated internet connection already, I'm guessing it's just awaiting TiVo to implement the code?
No TiVo EVER has had a dynamic EPG, An TiVo have no plans to implement one. They don't have the patent, I always new this but just wanted to drag this out lol.
Old 27-02-2012, 00:05   #10
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Yes, although I'm not part of the loop anymore
Old 27-02-2012, 00:09   #11
jtaylor06
Inactive

Quote:
Yes, although I'm not part of the loop anymore
I know! Don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing for you, but wish you all the best in the future. Someone like you will be hired instantly mate!
Old 27-02-2012, 00:13   #12
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
I know! Don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing for you, but wish you all the best in the future. Someone like you will be hired instantly mate!
Cheers

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Quote:
No TiVo EVER has had a dynamic EPG, An TiVo have no plans to implement one. They don't have the patent, I always new this but just wanted to drag this out lol.
dynamic EPG's aren't patented, buddy
Old 27-02-2012, 00:29   #13
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Cheers

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

dynamic EPG's aren't patented, buddy
They are when attached to a device that records pauses or rewinds live tv BUDDY

Methods, apparatuses, systems, and arrangements enable the dynamic manipulation and utilization of electronic program guide (EPG) data. The EPG data can be dynamically manipulated and utilized while in a displayable format. In an exemplary implementation, EPG data is received from an external source, the received EPG data being in a displayable format. The received EPG data is added to previous EPG data to form current EPG data, the previous EPG data and the current EPG data being in the displayable format while the received EPG data and the previous EPG data are added together. At least a portion of the current EPG data is then displayed. In described implementation(s), the receiving, adding, and displaying are effectuated by a node that is coupled to a gateway in a local network system. The gateway may store and provide EPG data, and the local network may be operable in a television-based entertainment environment.

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:14 ----------

If anyone doesn't get it..............

The bit where new EPG data is added to old EPG date to form current EPG date is the "Dynamic updating"
Old 27-02-2012, 07:35   #14
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

It's seriously getting boring now all of this TiVo and VM bashing, if you know the answers why ask? Good luck with your Sky Tv I am honestly pleased for you. Please go to the Sky forums and justify your purchase with like minded people because to be honest the majority of people here are sick of reading your mindless posts.
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:38   #15
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps

Quote:
Are you drunk?
he hite not be drunk..but i am..lol