Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pulse dialing query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Pulse dialing query

Old 27-08-2009, 09:48   #16
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Re: Pulse dialing query

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliotL View Post
Have you tried tapping with your existing phone?
This mimics pulse dialing, you just have to quickly tap the button on your phone that you use to hang up, tap once for 1, twice very quickly for 2, thrice for 3 and 10 for 0 etc... like you could try ringing the speaking clock on 123 by tapping to check if you have pulse dialing support!
I wouldn't try actually ringing someone like that as it takes ages and you have to try and tap 10 pulses per second!
I just tried this and it works

Also reminds me of someone saying "Whose idea was it to make the emergency services 999? It takes forever on a rotary dial phone! By the time it calls the person could be dead!"

Still, better than the IT Crowd's emergency services number... "0118 999 881 999 119 725 ... 3"
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2009, 10:06   #17
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
Also reminds me of someone saying "Whose idea was it to make the emergency services 999? It takes forever on a rotary dial phone! By the time it calls the person could be dead!"
Going to be geeky here and point out it was because of pulse dialling that 999 was chosen for the emergency number
Old 27-08-2009, 10:13   #18
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Going to be geeky here and point out it was because of pulse dialling that 999 was chosen for the emergency number
I can see it wouldn't be too easy to accidentally dial It just doesn't make sense in other ways, as I explained
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 10:28   #19
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
I can see it wouldn't be too easy to accidentally dial It just doesn't make sense in other ways, as I explained
Hmm - it's actually not what I originally thought it was - well not totally

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999_(em...lephone_number)

999 was chosen because of the need for the code to be able to be dialled from A/B button public telephones. The telephone dial (GPO Dial No 11) used with these coin-boxes allowed the digit "0" to be dialled without inserting any money, and it was very easy to adapt the dial to dial "9" without inserting money.

I always though it was because 999 was least likely to be dialled by the overhead telephone lines knocking together in the wind
Old 27-08-2009, 15:16   #20
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Just learn to whistle the chords that tone dialling generates, job done.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 18:09   #21
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
Just learn to whistle the chords that tone dialling generates, job done.
Or use a DTMF generator.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 18:12   #22
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliotL View Post
Have you tried tapping with your existing phone?
This mimics pulse dialing, you just have to quickly tap the button on your phone that you use to hang up, tap once for 1, twice very quickly for 2, thrice for 3 and 10 for 0 etc... like you could try ringing the speaking clock on 123 by tapping to check if you have pulse dialing support!
I wouldn't try actually ringing someone like that as it takes ages and you have to try and tap 10 pulses per second!
I was just about to suggest this. It was a great technique for getting round the dial lock my mate's stingy parents had on their phone many years ago.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 18:31   #23
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I was just about to suggest this. It was a great technique for getting round the dial lock my mate's stingy parents had on their phone many years ago.
It also used to fool some pay phones into not asking for payment too (the ones where you dial the number first and put the money in when the other person answers)... So I'm told lol
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:40   #24
mhl
Inactive

mhl is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an old 300 series rotary (pulse) dial phone which has been fully restored and which I had hoped would work on my VM/NTL line - but it doesn't I get a dialling tone OK, but this remains there as I dial a number. Others on this thread are quite definite that it is possible to use a pulse dial phone on a modern line - so where am I missing a trick?

The old phone is very nice as an ornament/antique - but it would be even better if I could use it.
mhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:45   #25
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

@ original OP.

You've already said that the phone is rotary dial that has been converted for modern usage (i.e it will support tone dialing only) so in essence you can use it on either pulse or tone networks

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhl View Post
I have an old 300 series rotary (pulse) dial phone which has been fully restored and which I had hoped would work on my VM/NTL line - but it doesn't I get a dialling tone OK, but this remains there as I dial a number. Others on this thread are quite definite that it is possible to use a pulse dial phone on a modern line - so where am I missing a trick?

The old phone is very nice as an ornament/antique - but it would be even better if I could use it.
It probably would help if you give your location as a VM staff member might be able to help you better if they are about
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:46   #26
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I'm speculating, but is the rotary dial moving at the correct speed? Can you get your hands on a basic touch-dial phone with a pulse/tone switch, and try dialling out from your line with that, set to pulse, just to confirm whether it's your line or your rotary phone that's causing the problem?

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

@ Kymmy ... the original OP posted more than two years ago, he's probably not listening to you
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48   #27
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

@ Chris

Your fault for not prodding me with that stick to wake me up!!!

Actually busy doing 4 things at one, really should learn to do the 5th thing like reading original dates
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49   #28
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Your fault for swigging cask-strength Aberlour from the bottle, with or without the help of cheap Lidl cola ...
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50   #29
Kymmy
Inactive

Oi!!! that was a private conversation!!! No fair telling people that I drink cheap Lidl cola!!!

Gonna get you for that!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:03   #30
mhl
Inactive

mhl is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm speculating, but is the rotary dial moving at the correct speed? Can you get your hands on a basic touch-dial phone with a pulse/tone switch, and try dialling out from your line with that, set to pulse, just to confirm whether it's your line or your rotary phone that's causing the problem?

Chris - I have run this test with an old tone/pulse switchable phone and the pulse dialling works OK. I have also confirmed with VM/NTL tech staff that their lines do support pulse. I have tried the old rotary phone on a neighbour's BT line and it worked perfectly. So I tried again on my NTL line and found that, if I drag the dial back rather than letting it return by itself, it will dial out. So it looks like a problem with the dial return speed as you suggested - NTL line would appear to require it to be a tad quicker.
mhl is offline   Reply With Quote