Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub Install or Not?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub Install or Not?

Old 21-11-2012, 16:52   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Superhub Install or Not?

You can get a N750 and an additional, separate N450 for that... N1200? Or three N450's (N1350?!?!)
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-11-2012, 16:58   #17
duggie2006
Inactive

duggie2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
You can get a N750 and an additional, separate N450 for that... N1200? Or three N450's (N1350?!?!)
I may sound dumb but you will need to explain this to me? Is this a bit complicated to get wireless through my house? is that 3 seperate routers?

Thanks

Lee
duggie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 17:59   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah they are joking. The beauty of Linksys routers, and why I recommend them to everyone, is that wireless i awesome and unless you live in a mansion the one router will do. Some people with shubs have to add additional routers to extend the transmission range but you shouldnt have to do that with a high end Linksys router. The Nxxx bit refers to the throughput. On a 100mbit connection with gigabit ports you know you are going to get 100mbit wired. With wireless you are going to get as fast a connection as the router can transmit and that can potentially be a bottleneck. Obviously an N300 (300mbits) is more than enough and when you look at anything higher you'll only benefit from it from a future proofing perspective or if you do a lot of lan transfers been NAS or stream content to TVs and stuff.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 18:08   #19
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Three routers will usually provide better coverage and better performance than just one. It may be a bit more complicated to set up but then you get a lot more performance for less money. If you're willing to spend a few minutes setting it up to save £50...
Old 21-11-2012, 18:27   #20
duggie2006
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Three routers will usually provide better coverage and better performance than just one. It may be a bit more complicated to set up but then you get a lot more performance for less money. If you're willing to spend a few minutes setting it up to save £50...
What may take you 20 mins to set will most likley end up with 3 router paper-wieghts, i am the reason that plug n play was invented.

Again thanks for the explanations and help (me learning good)

Lee
Old 22-11-2012, 01:41   #21
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Unlikely. Setting them up this way requires no more knowledge or complexity than what you will already have to do just to set a password or name on your wireless network.
Old 23-11-2012, 11:46   #22
duggie2006
Inactive

My EA4500 will be here today(thanks for the recommendation) so will be setting it up this evening,i have been reading about the cloud interface it uses and some people dont seem to like it and recommend loading old firmware onto it instead.Can anyone advice me on setting it up ect.(just remember to keep it simple please,if possible)

Thanks for all you help.

Lee
Old 23-11-2012, 12:51   #23
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Craigie recommended it and I reckon he has a duty to help you configure it. You were wise to research the cloud interface.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 13:20   #24
duggie2006
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Craigie recommended it and I reckon he has a duty to help you configure it. You were wise to research the cloud interface.
I feel a HOT POTATO moment coming on. (engage stress mode)

Lee
Old 23-11-2012, 13:36   #25
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

You'd be right. Once working, of course, that is an awesome router. If it were me, I'd not use the cloud firmware. Not enough control would be in my hands. It was a crackpot idea by Cisco.

Old 23-11-2012, 13:40   #26
duggie2006
Inactive

Would it make much difference in reality to me? i would be just using it as a simple router / maybe to stream movies to my tv. The only things connected to it would be a skype phone interface,ipods,ps3,printer,laptops.

Lee
Old 23-11-2012, 13:44   #27
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

The cloud thing is just a question of difficulty in managing the router. Better to have it configurable from a menu in front of you, IMO.

Old 23-11-2012, 13:54   #28
duggie2006
Inactive

i see, so its not that the cloud firmware is bad from a preformance point of view,just an administration point of view?
Old 23-11-2012, 14:01   #29
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Yes - that's right. The cloud has no effect on performane once it's set up.

Old 23-11-2012, 14:36   #30
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Im here

Someone on here seemed to have issues with cloud connect and it seems cisco recommend to disable it

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35481159-post14.html
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote