Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub Install or Not?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Replacement Router (100mb)

Old 26-04-2012, 11:33   #1
Loveday10
Inactive

Loveday10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacement Router (100mb)

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to routers and what to look for.

I live in a house with 3 other lads and we have the virgin superhub with 100mb speed, but the wireless is absolutely shocking (as you all probably know).

Could someone recommend a good router based on these requirements:

- Able to handle 3 consoles, 1 tivo box, 4 iphones, 1 ipad and 3 laptops connected.

- As close as we can to 100mb speed wireless, no worries if around the 50mb 70mb speed.

- Budget of £60

Also, when it comes to setting up the new router im pretty new to all this kind of stuff.

Do we just put the superhub into modem mode, link up the new router via an Ethernet cable then thats it?

Or is there something extra.

Cheers,
Rob
Loveday10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2012, 11:55   #2
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Replacement Router (100mb)

Indeed you would put the superhub in modem mode and attach it to the new rotuer via an ethernet cable.

The tivo box uses its own connection so it doesn't go through the router.

You get what you pay for I have to say im pretty pleased with my TP-LINK wr1034nd which you can get on Amazon for around £42 if you had a bigger budget Linksys does good kit. But as I said the TP-Link been great for me wireless speed and signal strength is so much better than the superhub.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 11:59   #3
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

have a look at these two threads...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...st-router.html

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...ter-100mb.html

setup wise. don't use any CDs that come with the router. access the routers settings via the web IP. as long as its set to obtain IP via auto or dynamic all you need to do is stick the SH into modem mode then link a ethernet cable. in modem mode the ethernet port on the SH closest to the white cable input is the 1 to use.. then the other end goes into the routers WAN port.

new routers have a password already created for the you wireless network but you can check that out manually via tabs within settings or a quick install process.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 12:02   #4
Loveday10
Inactive

Loveday10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been looking at that TP-Link one Jumping. Looks good, what speeds do you get wireless with it?
Loveday10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 12:11   #5
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

I only have 50mb bb and I can max that out no bother. Getting full speed on speedtest via wireless.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 14:55   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveday10 View Post
Been looking at that TP-Link one Jumping. Looks good, what speeds do you get wireless with it?
The WR1043nd tops out at about 140-160mbps wirelessly.

Not sure the WR1034nd actually exists outside of typo-land.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 16:23   #7
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I think that its ridiculous that people are having to pay for routers because the equipment Virgin are supplying is sub standard, they should either get this superhub sorted pronto or supply the people who are having problems with the wireless side of it with a new router, at their expense!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 17:17   #8
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think that its ridiculous that people are having to pay for routers because the equipment Virgin are supplying is sub standard, they should either get this superhub sorted pronto or supply the people who are having problems with the wireless side of it with a new router, at their expense!
At least they have stopped charging people £75 for the thing. You could buy a bunch of far better routers for that price
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 17:50   #9
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

I had a WR1043ND, and it was fine, but I wasn't too impressed with the wireless dropping. Might have just been mine though. I returned it and got a 2nd hand Netgear WNDR3700v2
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 09:24   #10
akhlaq768
Inactive

akhlaq768 is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly will the WNDR3700 work on virgin cable and secondly what is the retail price for them...
akhlaq768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 10:12   #11
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You wouldn't be saying that if all VM were doing was to supply a modem only like they did for all the years before the SH.

There's reality and there's waiting for VM to sort the wretched thing out. Zilch in two years' history.

The OP has asked the right questions and is doing the right thing.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 10:26   #12
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You wouldn't be saying that if all VM were doing was to supply a modem only like they did for all the years before the SH.

There's reality and there's waiting for VM to sort the wretched thing out. Zilch in two years' history.

The OP has asked the right questions and is doing the right thing.
I think Mad Max has probably moved on from this issue - The original question was asked 7 months ago...

akhlaq768 has resurrected the thread...
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 10:40   #13
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Ah - yes. Still, the message is as valid now as it was in April. The wretched thing in router mode is worse than ever!!

Old 23-11-2012, 12:59   #14
Dark Fiber
Inactive

Services: (xNTL) VMDG480mm
Dark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really nice

Vm are supplying a "hub" (combination modem/ wireless router) only because it became the norm for their competitors (ADSL) to do so. Inevitably, this has given rise to a feeling of entitlement among some customers.
Many of us would prefer if a (multi channel) modem was the only CPE supplied, leaving customers to set up their networks as they think best. Although technically superior, that won't happen even as a paid-for option, for purely commercial reasons
Dark Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 13:04   #15
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Fiber View Post
Vm are supplying a "hub" (combination modem/ wireless router) only because it became the norm for their competitors (ADSL) to do so. Inevitably, this has given rise to a feeling of entitlement among some customers.
Many of us would prefer if a (multi channel) modem was the only CPE supplied, leaving customers to set up their networks as they think best. Although technically superior, that won't happen even as a paid-for option, for purely commercial reasons
I'd partially challenge that. True, you did qualify the remark with "ADSL". But the real competitor to VM now is BT Infinity. With that, BT provide a separate modem and router. Also you can put your own nodem (or gateway/hub) on instead of the BT supplied device.

VM provided the hub out of misguided stupidty. Nothing else.